Light hybrid for hilly area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oli

I haven't cycled for years, but would like to get a bike for the following purposes:
  • Leisurely cycling at weekends
  • Occasionally cycling the 9 miles to work (and the steep ride back)
  • Completing the 40-mile (but flat) cycle ride I've signed up for next month
  • I want to cycle to get fit
  • I'd be cycling on the road and the unpaved pathways

I wonder if anyone can give any recommendations for specific bikes given the following information

• I live among the Cotswold hills and want to be able to cycle from my home, so would like a very light bike.
  • I'm aiming to spend around £250 on the bike itself.
  • I suffer badly from heartburn so prefer a more upright riding position.
  • I want to be able to get the bike in a Mini before I get round to sorting a bike rack, so need quick-release wheels.

I've seen bikes at a slightly higher price with disc brakes. Are these worth paying extra for, or at this price-point are they just a mug's eyeful? I'm 10 stone, 163cm tall and my arm-span is slightly less than my height.

Thanks to anyone who can give me any specific recommendations. I've done days of research online but find lists of bike specifications fairly meaningless.

Oli

SimonC

Hi, if you are just riding on the road I would go for a road bike instead of a hybrid, especially if you want something reasonably light for those cotswold hills, plus much better for climbing on road bike than hybrid

You aren't going to get anything great new for £250, maybe find somethin 2nd hand and post it on here for comments/sizin advice etc.

SimonC

Sorry, just noticed the "more upright ridin position" bit, you can still get decent upright position on road bike just riding on the tops or hoods, but I guess you would have to try out first, maybe 2nd hand from LBS

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im a beginner like you so not much further up the learning curve but I have discovered that If you found a bike thast suited you but it didnt have QR wheels it really only takes 2 minutes with a spanner to undoe the nuts.

The Carrera Gryphon is a light flat handlebar type road bike that may suit you.Theres a thread about it somewhere on this forum. You could get it new from Halfords for that money I think.

Another bike you may like is the Specialized Sirrus for abouit £300 if you can go the extra £50.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
well you can get something half decent for that money.

i've got a CBR citylite hybrid and its not bad at all for the money and the good thing is it comes with a fully adjustable stem if you like to sit upright

I've changed the handlebars and stem on mine but the rest is standard...

bikes2027-1.jpg

bikes2039-1.jpg

and i've just found it on line for £200...

http://www.additionsdirect.co.uk/rf...s/cbr/citylite-cycle?A=5668183514497929329015

PS: what kind of mini, classic ??

you won't get much in the back of those new ones

PS: i can post more pics if you want

barongreenback

Über Member
wilko said:
Hi, I'm a beginner myself and want to use my bike in similar fashion as you do. I have just bought a Specialized Sirrus and have to say I am more than pleased with it. It's slightly above your budget, but I reckon it's the sort of thing you should be looking at.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...d-bike-ec016919?query=specialized sirrus bike

I've just bought the same bike - very, very happy with it. Even broke the 30mph barrier on it last week. Sadly not under my own steam - I was going down a very steep hill ;) Going up said hill is tough, but seems to have the right gears for it (and I'm only a beginner at this lark myself).

OP
OP
O

oli

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I liked the look of the Specialized bikes as I was doing my research, but the £390 Sirrus Sport 2009 is beyond what I had in mind. However, I spotted a version (at Banjo's suggestion) that lacks the "sport" tag and at £292 is within budget.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-2009-road-bike-ec016920

I am realising that £250 was a bit tight, but it'll take a while to persuade me to spend £390. Not saying it won't happen, though, and if I end up really using it then it's neither here nor there.

The Anorak, thanks for your suggestion. I'll look into that one. The Mini is a first generation BMW one. I do love the classic Minis, but mine's got 105000 miles on the clock (had it since new) and I don't think a used classic would have done that (although I'm sure you'll be able to tell me otherwise ;) )

Back to the bikes, it looks like the Specialized bikes that call themselves road bikes still have the chunkier tyres that I've seen on hybrid bikes. It's beginning to look like the definitions aren't as clear-cut, so when I said I wanted a hybrid, really it was the flat handlebars and the wider tyre I was after, even if over time I might end up replacing the tyres with smoother ones than many I've seen.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Oli

barongreenback

Über Member
My bike has fairly thin tyres but then again, I'm not using it anywhere off road (to be relief, thin tyres were nothing to worry about). The differences between the Specialized bike that you quote and the Elite Sport is a better set of Shimano stuff. I got the Elite Sport as I had a fairly hefty discount through a friend who works at a bike shop.

OP
OP
O

oli

Right. I've gone to my local bike shop and bought myself the Specialized Sirrus for the same £293 as Evans were selling it. I'm quite happy with my choice and pick it up at 3:30pm ready for a quick cycle or two round the village.

They had the Sirrus Sport on display too and that is a gorgeous-looking bike. I was half-tempted, I must admit.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Oli

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Nice one Oli can you let us know how you get on with it as I have earmarked a Sirrus as a strong possibility for my next bike.

adds21

Rider of bikes
oli said:
Right. I've gone to my local bike shop and bought myself the Specialized Sirrus for the same £293 as Evans were selling it. I'm quite happy with my choice and pick it up at 3:30pm ready for a quick cycle or two round the village.

I've got the 2008 version of that, and have been very pleased with it. I use mine mostly on the roads (some of which are in very bad condition around here), but I also use it from time to time on bridle paths and the like. So far (probably about 500 miles) it's been faultless. It's also very hilly around here, and the weight is fine.

Top Bottom