Lightening the load ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Yes part of it but I didn't know it was called that, followed route 6 from beeston to Melbourne then road to Conkers the first day. The traffic free bits were nice. Conkers to derby on the last day. Stayed at camping and caravanning club sites as no need to book and was only £5 a night. Bit cold though never again in October :laugh: View attachment 148223 View attachment 148224
You know what's brilliant about this (I think you should do a proper write-up for Shaun's 'Cycling Junkies' site) is that it shows that you don't need to spend a fortune on special bikes to enjoy a bit of cycle-touring, just work with whatever you have and adventure can be found right around the corner.

QED

Chapeau @TrishnBonnie

Yup - it doesn't take much of a breeze to make things uncomfortable - biggest obstacle by far is the g
Insignificant minutes. What was interesting and I wasn't thinking of you here, Smiffy :whistle: was the effect of aerodynamics. A bulky pannier setup can add as much time again as extra weight. I haven't read the full results yet but bikepacking is by far the most efficient. Still, you can console yourself that you're as aerodynamic going backwards as forwards.
Yup - doesn't take much of a breeze in front to make things in comfortable - however once you have panniers the next biggest problem is the ugly protrusion above the handlebars

TrishE

Über Member
You know what's brilliant about this (I think you should do a proper write-up for Shaun's 'Cycling Junkies' site) is that it shows that you don't need to spend a fortune on special bikes to enjoy a bit of cycle-touring, just work with whatever you have and adventure can be found right around the corner.

QED

Chapeau @TrishnBonnie
Thank you :smile:Next time though I won't have the dogs with me unless I get a proper dog trailer for Bonnie. Trouble is I've got an old kiddie trailer for her but I struggle at barriers on Sustrans routes and they're not allowed on trains so it's limiting.

The bike I took would have been fine otherwise but I am thinking what bike can I get for next year, also I dumped my tent at the last campsite to save weight so I'll replace it with one that's lighter and packs smaller.

It is possible to use any bike but then use the experience to make things easier and more comfortable next time :smile:

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Thank you :smile:Next time though I won't have the dogs with me unless I get a proper dog trailer for Bonnie. Trouble is I've got an old kiddie trailer for her but I struggle at barriers on Sustrans routes and they're not allowed on trains so it's limiting.

The bike I took would have been fine otherwise but I am thinking what bike can I get for next year, also I dumped my tent at the last campsite to save weight so I'll replace it with one that's lighter and packs smaller.

It is possible to use any bike but then use the experience to make things easier and more comfortable next time :smile:
I guess that's why I started this thread, to share experience for those relatively new to a bit of touring.
If I was going heavy-weight and long trips I'd convert my old 80s 531 MTB for the task, it wouldn't take much and she's be perfect for the task.

I guess that's why I started this thread, to share experience for those relatively new to a bit of touring.
If I was going heavy-weight and long trips I'd convert my old 80s 531 MTB for the task, it wouldn't take much and she's be perfect for the task.

An old 80's MTB you say? :okay:
Tell me more.

IMG_20161107_155445.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use an old Raleigh 531 MTB for camping trips. The only original bits are the frame and h/bar stem.
I've got a few bikes like that. :becool:

reppans

I got into ultra-light backpacking and Brommies this year, and the combination has rekindled my interest in short-touring. For me, the light weight and more importantly - compactness - is much more about where I can go, and what I can do when I'm not riding. I just love the versatility of this rig. (Unfortunately, I've had bike and gear stolen before, so locking up puts a big damper on things for me.)

30844786376_926d4bbc36_h.jpg

I stay below ~20lbs, incl. ~5lbs of food/water, in the single T-Bag. My core camping gear is ~5lbs/10L of that, multi-tasking, good to ~40F, and very comfortable to me - CLICKY.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I got into ultra-light backpacking and Brommies this year, and the combination has rekindled my interest in short-touring. For me, the light weight and more importantly - compactness - is much more about where I can go, and what I can do when I'm not riding. I just love the versatility of this rig. (Unfortunately, I've had bike and gear stolen before, so locking up puts a big damper on things for me.)

30844786376_926d4bbc36_h.jpg

I stay below ~20lbs, incl. ~5lbs of food/water, in the single T-Bag. My core camping gear is ~5lbs/10L of that, multi-tasking, good to ~40F, and very comfortable to me - CLICKY.

Hope that helps.
What's the tentage? Looks a nice set-up!

reppans

Thanks... you can see the name in CLICKY link, but it's a SixMoonDesigns Gatewood Cape, along with Serenity Net Tent, Tyvek footprint, Ti stakes, and Pole. All in 31oz and packs into its own pocket (except pole).

Top Bottom