Lightening the load ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
When camping i reckon you can be comfortable during the day or comfortable during the night, and how you compromise on that is up to you. TBH I don't think weight of kit really makes that much difference, given that the bike is about 12k and the rider can be anything up to 100k. A rider of 80k with a 12k bike is 92k, obvs, then two litres of water, some food, is easy to get to nearly 110k all in. Then the camping kit is on top of that so 5k takes the whole shebang to 115k and double that weight of camping kit makes it 120k, there's not a lot of difference really. And you notice it only on the hills, going up, obvs. IMHO this focus on weight is a red herring - better to spend more time planning a flatter or shorter route.

That's glamping if you've space for a selfie stick!
As stated above - sans selfie stick - what I think is known in the trade as an - arm job

IMG_20161005_192337.jpg

Said stick has been reassigned

Kosong

I look overladen even when going for a few days...it's because i get bloody freezing most nights in the uk regardless of season! 1 back pannier is my XXL 3 season sleeping bag...the opposite pannier is a merino wool long sleeve dress, various layers, socks, and often another sleeping bag to put inside the existing one. Did camp outside of glastonbury a few nights ago and was actually too warm with 2 sleeping bags so am still learning...got a hexi burner which is super light and small, 2 mess tins (1 for boiling water, 1 for food), a plastic mug which usually gets threaded onto one of the panniers by the handle, cutlery...small toiletry bag. Only thing I really, really miss is having a few books and a big towel for showering but they are things that can be sacrified :smile: hoping to do some 2 week plus tours next year so will be refining my gear during the midler spots in winter

TrishE

Über Member
I usually backpack but had time off work last week so thought I'd try cycle camping. Cycled beeston - Conkers - cannock Chase - Conkers - derby and got train to Newark taking six days.

Have decided what I need to lighten the load, decent bike smaller tent and put the dogs in kennels.
IMAG1364.jpg
IMAG1376.jpg

TrishE

Über Member
[QUOTE 4514682, member: 259"]Can't the dogs share in the work? Lazy buggers!:smile:[/QUOTE]
Aww the little one is old sits happy in the basket, there's a rear basket but Bonnie wouldn't go in it wanted to walk so she ended up walking all the way well running mostly. It was hard work and cold too, won't be camping again til next year now :laugh:

TrishE

Über Member
Cloud Trail ?

Yes part of it but I didn't know it was called that, followed route 6 from beeston to Melbourne then road to Conkers the first day. The traffic free bits were nice. Conkers to derby on the last day. Stayed at camping and caravanning club sites as no need to book and was only £5 a night. Bit cold though never again in October :laugh:
IMAG1381.jpg
IMAG1366.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yes part of it but I didn't know it was called that, followed route 6 from beeston to Melbourne then road to Conkers the first day. The traffic free bits were nice. Conkers to derby on the last day. Stayed at camping and caravanning club sites as no need to book and was only £5 a night. Bit cold though never again in October :laugh: View attachment 148223 View attachment 148224
I've ridden the Cloud Trail many times, it's my preferred route up to Derby, I get on it at the start (just the other side of Whitwick)

So how many minutes per kilo if it is flat
Insignificant minutes. What was interesting and I wasn't thinking of you here, Smiffy :whistle: was the effect of aerodynamics. A bulky pannier setup can add as much time again as extra weight. I haven't read the full results yet but bikepacking is by far the most efficient. Still, you can console yourself that you're as aerodynamic going backwards as forwards.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I was a bit disappointed that you didn't actually look like Leonard Rossiter.
^_^
Nah,I'm with @CanucksTraveller ,it was a good read,and I'm still wondering how you handled the Brommie with all the kit on :ohmy:
^_^
Actually, the Brommie handles really well when loaded as long as the heavy stuff is over the front wheel, so that's how I pack, lighter and bulkier goes towards the top or in the saddlebag. In many respects with the full load it's more stable than the Rourke (which was never designed for full-on touring). In the Outer Hebrides i was very comfortable flying down the big hills in the rain on the Brompton, something I'd have never done on the Rourke.
The main issue with the Brompton is small wheels on rough roads where it can be a bit vibey after a while. But as an all-rounder she's fab!
Gonna treat her to a rear-rack maybe...

Top Bottom