Lightening the load ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
We have mesh zipped bags to compartmentalise, they are great. A lot of searching is saved.
I'm happy living like a tramp for a few days. Jo isn't a high maintenance bird but she still takes too much stuff. The more she does it the more refined she'll get.

But hair straighteners, curlers and a hair dryer....are overkill. Then there is her stuff.

I've been an alpkit fan for years.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
We have mesh zipped bags to compartmentalise, they are great. A lot of searching is saved.
I'm happy living like a tramp for a few days. Jo isn't a high maintenance bird but she still takes too much stuff. The more she does it the more refined she'll get.

But hair straighteners, curlers and a hair dryer....are overkill. Then there is her stuff.

I've been an alpkit fan for years.
^_^

A pal of mine laid down the law early in their relationship. He said he was happy for his partner to take whatever she wanted on holiday as long as she carried it ....

hatler

Guru
^_^

A pal of mine laid down the law early in their relationship. He said he was happy for his partner to take whatever she wanted on holiday as long as she carried it ....
That's defo my tactic for the children on next year's tour. We hardly saw mini-hatler this year, he was soooo far ahead.

andym

Über Member
Sleeping bags are bulky but not overweighty. Down cuts the bulk but you have to be paranoid about water.

Not really. You wouldn't want to get your sleeping bag wet - whether it's down or synthetic. In normal operation down copes fine with condensation and humidity. I definitely like to ensure my down bag is dry - but I would feel the same if it were synthetic. When you wash it you may need to spend a pit of time unpicking any clumps but that's not really a big problem. There are ethical/animal welfare reasons for not using down, but I think its weight-to-warmth ratio, packability give it the edge over synthetic.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Any particular recommendations in that sale?
Stuff I've got that works well (actually everything so far works well), but here are some faves in the sale:

Kepler Velo Merino tops - have the LS version
Koulin Trail tights - thin light, useful side pockets, close fit
Yakutian Fleece
Hankering after the mens Arro lightweight waterproof ... but no need right now!
Viper Headtorch is an absolute bargain compared to Petzl offerings. Long beam and close settings are excellent
Ti Pots and Cutlery/Foonage etc all good. The 650 MyTiMug will heat a whole can or beans or similar easily when used as a bain marie with the can
Concertina Shield works really well with my pocket stove

fimm

Veteran
You should try carrying all your stuff on your back over the top of a bunch of Munros. That will teach you to pack light... ;)
Actually I have been through a pretty similar learning process to FF.
Bear in mind that I own warm base layers anyway due to also enjoying being on top of said mountains in the middle of winter (not camping, though). Also cold is more of an issue when you are camping high. So, I carry my warmest winter base layer instead of a second fleece; and I sleep in a mid-weight thermal top and longs set. A fleece hat is always in my rucksack whatever the time of year and wearing a hat in bed is a good thing. Some of that might be useful if you feel the cold when you sleep.

I'm also a fan of Alpkit - I have a down sleeping bag from there, and a headtorch, and some dry bags. (Everything goes in drybags on the hill).
I have a really mini Trangia and my luxury item is a kit that lets me use my Thermarest as a chair.

Stuff I've got that works well (actually everything so far works well), but here are some faves in the sale:

Kepler Velo Merino tops - have the LS version
Koulin Trail tights - thin light, useful side pockets, close fit
Yakutian Fleece
Hankering after the mens Arro lightweight waterproof ... but no need right now!
Viper Headtorch is an absolute bargain compared to Petzl offerings. Long beam and close settings are excellent
Ti Pots and Cutlery/Foonage etc all good. The 650 MyTiMug will heat a whole can or beans or similar easily when used as a bain marie with the can
Concertina Shield works really well with my pocket stove

I can vouch for the mytimug, although thinking about it now, I would have opted for the 900ml version to enable me to warm a can of something as explained by FF and also heat enough water for pasta etc at the same time using one vessel.

I may just buy one anyway as I found my cookset was pretty heavy on my trip to wales, and carrying meths for fuel worried me a little.

ive been researching home made stoves etc on the web, I like the wood gassifyer although im now on my third version but I think this could be the one.

what esbit tablets do you use, mine seem to give off lots of soot.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I can vouch for the mytimug, although thinking about it now, I would have opted for the 900ml version to enable me to warm a can of something as explained by FF and also heat enough water for pasta etc at the same time using one vessel.

I may just buy one anyway as I found my cookset was pretty heavy on my trip to wales, and carrying meths for fuel worried me a little.

ive been researching home made stoves etc on the web, I like the wood gassifyer although im now on my third version but I think this could be the one.

what esbit tablets do you use, mine seem to give off lots of soot.
I use this stove: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/RD104.html

With these tabs:
s-l300.jpg

I don't find them to be overly sooty, and it's readily cleaned-off.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Am intrigued. What was this food? Were you anticipating a total lack of shops?
There are no shops or hotels to stay at. There are mountain refuges without food or hot water. You carry your food or starve. Cold water comes from the mountain streams. Look up "GR20".

Edit: We were there 27 years ago when the refuges didn't sell food or supplies.

Last edited:

Kbrook

Veteran
FF

I was planning a tour of the Outer Hebrides a few weeks ago but the forecast was against me so it's postponed probably till next May. Whatever I did I couldn't find an easy way back to Oban. My plan in the end was to return to Tarbert after completing the Hebridean way and return via Skye. Interested in what route you took, for some reason I didn't fancy the return down the west coast from Ullapool.

What did you think if the OH worth a visit? I have read mixed reports.

Top Bottom