Lightening the load ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
FF

I was planning a tour of the Outer Hebrides a few weeks ago but the forecast was against me so it's postponed probably till next May. Whatever I did I couldn't find an easy way back to Oban. My plan in the end was to return to Tarbert after completing the Hebridean way and return via Skye. Interested in what route you took, for some reason I didn't fancy the return down the west coast from Ullapool.

What did you think if the OH worth a visit? I have read mixed reports.
I thought the OH was fab, but the forecast is the forecast and so being one of the wildest spots in the UK, weather is something you just have to deal with .... and weather is part of the attraction!
Planning is tricky unless you also look at coaches/rail etc to get back to the start.
I decided that it was worth the drive to Uig on Skye and ferry to Tarbert. Do Harris and Lewis, then back down to Berneray and then to South Uist and Grimsay where I stayed with a friend. I got back to Uig via Lochmaddy.

I would highly recommend this map 'Discover the Western Isles': http://www.stirlingsurveys.co.uk/nationalparks.html
It's invaluable because it marks shops, cafes and cashpoint machine and this is vital information .... this isn't the mainland! Services can be few and far between and nothing on a Sunday.

I also recommend: http://www.gatliff.org.uk/
Cheap, interesting and no-book hostels in interesting locations. There are many fine bunkhouses too.

I went from Tarbert following the main road (no traffic to speak of) and stopped at Ravenspoint Hostel day 1
Then across to Calanish and onwards to Butt of Lewis (wild Camp with the tarp as per the photo above)
Then down and across to Stornaway to stay at Chateau @wicker man
Then back south to Rheinigedale hostel for a few days R&R
Onwards south again via Tarbert across all of Harris (beautiful) to stay at An Bothan bunhouse in Leverburg - Highly recommended!
Next day ferry to Berneray to the Gatliffe hostel there for several days of mellow lovliness
Finally to my pal on Grimsay and home via Lochmaddy.

That's doing the basics, there are many stunning dead-end roads to wonderful places, amazing scenery, superb beaches, great views and friendly people. The main roads are of good surface and few cars, all very curteous, many roads are single track and well maintained. OK, it can be wet, nearly always windy .... but it keeps the Midge down. Am I going back for more? Hell yes!

IMG_4497.JPG

IMG_4618.JPG

IMG_4687.JPG

IMG_4716.JPG

Kbrook

Veteran
FF thanks so much you are very helpful. Those photographs are amazing although I don't know what I'm looking at on that third photo! You have just re convinced me to go as soon as possible which unfortunately will be next year. Planning to go the whole way from Vatersay to Port of Ness,may be in contact before I go if that's ok. Thanks again

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

FF thanks so much you are very helpful. Those photographs are amazing although I don't know what I'm looking at on that third photo! You have just re convinced me to go as soon as possible which unfortunately will be next year. Planning to go the whole way from Vatersay to Port of Ness,may be in contact before I go if that's ok. Thanks again
No Probs!
The third photo is just a pattern on the sand left by the swirling tide on Bernaray .... which is ACE! I took a day to walk around the whole island, fabulously long beaches with no people. Cooked-up lunch in the dunes. Waded across bays. Watched Seals.

IMG_4576.JPG

IMG_4691.JPG

IMG_4632.JPG

ianbarton

Veteran
What you carry is a straight trade of between want and effort - I have always taken view I spend more time camped than I do cycling - and that I can make the effort to be warm dry and well fed - everybody to their own - The promotion of the weight weeny regime as a virtue is I find peculiar - there is a balance to everything

R0017519.JPG

Yesterday - hiding out from the rain on the Rhone - ive used everything Ive got apart from my longs which will be coming out in the next few weeks and the last of the Tescos toilet paper which im saving for a special occasion

ive used everything Ive got

Actually not quite true - selfie (interesting - autocorrect does selfish stick) stick I bought against my better judgement because people said when they looked at my photos there were never any of me - having got one I have decided that I'm not really a selfie sort of person - in fact I've come to hate selfies - getting trampled by people in tourist hotspots - Strasbourg et.al. - being in the picture being more important than the 1000 year old masterpiece of masonry they are in front of - another box ticked.

However, I have a cunning plan - I think I can adapt the stick thing to be a puller of tent zips that I cannot reach easily

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

What you carry is a straight trade of between want and effort - I have always taken view I spend more time camped than I do cycling - and that I can make the effort to be warm dry and well fed - everybody to their own - The promotion of the weight weeny regime as a virtue is I find peculiar - there is a balance to everything

View attachment 146279

Yesterday - hiding out from the rain on the Rhone - ive used everything Ive got apart from my longs which will be coming out in the next few weeks and the last of the Tescos toilet paper which im saving for a special occasion
To a certain extent I'd agree with your view about the 'weight weenie' approach. That's not particularly what I'm aiming at either. I guess it's more a question of need and how to meet that need in either a less weighty or bulky way.

Contrast my earlier Long Itchington weekend loads to my last:

image.jpeg

A significant difference, Plus it was a very rainy weekend unlike previous weekends.
Again, more dual use kit and less cycle specific clothes. Minimised cooking gear but enough for the trip, just used the tent outer plus Bivvi bag, more compact and lighter sleeping bag. No loss in warmth or comfort but a notable reduction in baggage and 'stuff' to manage for no lack in comfort or utility.
In particular the Rourke rides and handles a lot better too making longer journeys loaded more pleasurable and less time spent setting-up and taking down camp.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

2 week touring in France, luggage weighs about 5k. Not camping though take stove, spoon, pan and hot water element. That bag on the top is a cheap sleeping bag I had just bought just in case. I could have stuck a tent up there as well I guess.
8179579159_401d15ee35_c.jpg

Nice!
What bar bag are you using?

bigjim

Legendary Member
Nice!
What bar bag are you using?
Cheap crappy thing fron Lidl. It's done a few trips now but only used because it is very light. I managed to alter it to make it stay somewhat upright without all the heavy hardware the more expensive ones use. That rackbag weighs only 300g and swallows a huge amount of gear. Plus it is flat so makes a good shelf.

Top Bottom