Lightening the load ....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I thought I'd start something about reducing weight when touring .... though I'm sure it's been done before, but hey-ho!

In May 2015 I did my first cycle-camp/mini tour since the mid 80s. It was the yacf long Itch camping weeekend. 60 miles from home, lots of helpful people If I cocked-up or forgot anything, a pretty low risk re-entry to holidaying by bike.
Years of various family camping in-between meant I had most of what I needed in terms of bicycle bags, Trangias, sleeping kit etc. and for extra fun decided to take the newly acquired Brompton.
I had 2 large saddlebags that I could fit on the Brompton and packed and re-packed to see what I could squeeze aboard. A new tent was definately on the cards and a Vango Banshee 200 seemed to fit the bill. What's more is I could fit Brommie and all inside. I did need to add a seat-post rack to accommodate tentage however. The resulting load is below:

IMG_2093.JPG

much to my surprise it worked well! Kit wise It was around 15 kgs from memory. Apart from the Brompton lacking low gearing for lumpy bits it was a super beast of burden and I had a great time!

Cooking by Trangia and Meths, old down bag + Hunka bivvy bag, Gelert inflatable reed bed, clothes, sandles odds and sods.

IMG_2091.JPG

All was well. Probably carried too much clothing, but a success!

The next opportunity was September and I decided to take the Rourke:

IMG_2987.JPG

Pretty much the same kit-wise but the Rourke lacking front bags really didn't ride so well. Also in the damp September mornings I was getting cold in the old down bag partly due to the airbed. Also the Trangia was overkill for heating duties. Clothing also needed attention.

Roll on the winter and a bit of thinking....

I missed the May yacf Long Itch trip, but planned for the outer Hebrides in the summer.

This time I decided to lighten the load even though I was going for longer.

I chanced a Bivvy and Tarp with Hostel back-up instead of the tent.
The Trangia was replaced by a pocket-stove, Alpkit Ti Myti mug and Tifoon for eating duties. Esbit fuel taking less weight and space than Meths.
A new Alpkit down bag and 3/4 self inflating mat with an old foam mat replaced the gelert air bed for warmth.
Cycle shoes and sandals were ditched for regular walking shoes and flip-flops
Less cycle-specific clothing and more dual-use kit. Broad rimmed sun-hat hat not cycle caps. The bulky Paramo still came along for foul weather duties.

28481587061_dec7a227a7_z.jpg

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4512.JPG

I don't have the weights, but with the now 12 speed Brompton with a low range gear set, the Outer Nebrides were easily conquered. The new kit worked well, I was warm, dry and had hot food when I needed it.

IMG_4525.JPG

So now to Long Itch Sept 2016 .... I decided to go with the Rourke again, but as light as possible. In fact less than 10kg including bags and everything.

Instead of the Bivvy and Tarp I took the Banshee flysheet and poles only. Further trimmed my dual-use clothing, cycle shoes and flip-flops and added a small bar bag for the small useful bits. Paramo left behind for tatty old Altura almost-waterproof.

IMG_5234.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

So nowhere near ultralight yet, not cutting handles off toothbrushes .... but getting there!

So what are your weight/volume learnings?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
So what are your weight/volume learnings?
Take everything, be comfortable and struggle

doog

I got my load down to 15kg for my latest tour..thats tent, cooking stuff the lot in 4 panniers.I keep one of the front panniers for carrying wine and stuff:angel:

I guess thats my minimum as I'm still capable of forward motion up most gradients with that ..now I want to buy one of those little fold up chairs that come in at 700g !!

They look ace^_^...not much help to the thread mind.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
So far on the couple of tours we've done we've been too overloaded. One was a week in Holland, the second the Devon coast to coast over 3 days. For the Devon trip we had to put our over large sleeping bags in the front panniers (but nothing else) so we looked like we were going round the world with panniers front and back.

We will buy smaller sleeping bags as and when.

My brother tours solo and tandem. For the tandem tour it's 1 pannier each, but they do credit card tour.

Next year we plan to tour Brittany for a couple of weeks together. Just like you @Fab Foodie , my thoughts are turning to slimming down the load.

Maybe I should start with me!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Two panniers, 5kg between the two plus the clothes I'm wearing is my max.
I don't do camping though.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I met some guys from Sheffield a long time ago when we were carrying all our stuff over the mountains of Corsica on the GR20. I had a 28 pound pack with a tent and a ten day supply of freeze-dried food. I had plenty of time to think about ways of reducing the load, but the Sheffield people had it all worked out.

" Cut two and a half inches off your toothbrush handle, mate" They all had, and the rest.

Great thread Fabbers. Thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got my load down to 15kg for my latest tour..thats tent, cooking stuff the lot in 4 panniers.I keep one of the front panniers for carrying wine and stuff:angel:

I guess thats my minimum as I'm still capable of forward motion up most gradients with that ..now I want to buy one of those little fold up chairs that come in at 700g !!

They look ace^_^...not much help to the thread mind.

You need one of these camping chair/backrest jobbies
upload_2016-9-12_22-56-20.jpeg

hatler

Guru
Balls. This thread has just reminded me that I failed to record all that went into my panniers in August for the Normandy jaunt. Was intending to do the 'two piles' thing when I got home. Dang, dang.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

@Fab Foodie - Could I just say, (as someone that isn't necessarily into touring), your OP is a fantastically interesting read. Some good old fashioned cycling storytelling, real learnings, great pics that raised a smile, and a tiny bit of eccentricity thrown in - (Always amusing somehow to see a Brompton loaded up as per the first pic). Super subject!
Thanks. It's not quite Proust, but I try!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Next year we plan to tour Brittany for a couple of weeks together. Just like you @Fab Foodie , my thoughts are turning to slimming down the load.

Maybe I should start with me!
I have the same on-board load problem :-( Too much post-ride fermented recovery product consumption.....

But to add further thoughts/learnings from the last 18 months (am no expert).
I think food and cooking/eating kit is a good area to start, there's a lot of weight and space savings to be made there.
Sleeping bags are bulky but not overweighty. Down cuts the bulk but you have to be paranoid about water.
Again the foam mat is bulky but weighs nothing. A new inflatable like the Alpkit Numo though would remove huge bulk (a future purchase).
Then I think clothing is a real biggy. I was surprised in the O Hebs how little cycle specific gear I really needed. I wasn't racing, I was riding less than 50 miles per day and the Brompton is comfy enough in civvies. I have just bought some padded Merino undershorts, but actually I found a pair of light Lycra pad-less jogging shorts to be more than adequate. Pads really add to bulk Again light jogging leggings for smoozing around camp/hostel in the evening.
Pack clothes and any other soft stuff in compression sacks - again worth their weight in gold.
A mesh bag is great for keeping stuff segregated or for hanging on the outside of the bike for wet stuff etc.
I never wore socks.
I barely wore underpants
Merino is the dogs doo-dah's because it generally looks good enough for casual wear and can be worn again and again without getting smelly
Decent Base layers however are great especially if they can be worn alone as a top.
Never compromise on your main waterproof outer. whatever the bulk or weight
Shoes - heavy and bulky ....
Use shampoo/moisturiser stolen from hotels or little bottle OR buy the multi-use stuff from outdoor stores you can use for body, clothes and dishes. To smell fab, add a few drops of essential oil such as Bergamont or Patchouli to sunscreen or moisturiser
Dry-bags are ace. Multitude of uses (my red one doubles as my pillow and is my in-ride emergency layer store - readilly accessed.
Dry emergency rations - carry some!

That's all I can think of now.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Am intrigued. What was this food? Were you anticipating a total lack of shops?
I'll let @slowmotion answer that specifically but ....
In the O Hebs, food shops are very few and far between, if you don't carry 24hrs emergency food ration you could be in for a surprise hungry night, especially around Sunday. On my 60 mile route to Long Itch this weekend I carried just a few dextrasol tabs thinking that there would be loads of village shops and petrol station en-route, but once I'd left the environs of Oxford that was not the case. After 40 miles or so I was needing a re-fuel and by chance found a roadside Kebab-wagon for some chips. There were pubs, but up to that point they would have been a longer stop than a grab and go pork-pie that I craved :-) Carrying a few more snacks to fuel me for the journey would have been sensible.

Top Bottom