Lighting minefield

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'm currently using a C&B Seen City Slicker, coupled with a chinese light (Yinding 2xT6) for my canal commute - you can get extension leads so you can pop the battery in the seat tube bottle cage. I've got a cheapy like the one linked above and they do the job. I run mine on better battery packs, but the cheap ones will be OK. Just don't charge them unsupervised.

Cerdic

It's probable that a decent/basic set is now getting close to £100.
A front light, now £50 - 60, a rear light £10-20

But you need backup, for both front and rear, but these could be a much cheaper set, so in total you will be hitting £100

Towards the end of my commuting days, I was using a Cateye Volt 300. This was by far the best light I've ever had and still using it. This model is now obsolete, but you wont go wrong with the Volt range.

I've always stuck to known brands as brackets are usually forward compatible between models and easy to purchase for more than one bike.

If you are riding for 2 hrs, using the high intensity beams, it could be getting close to the range limit, so backups important.
Rechargeable ones are great, but battery ones probably better for really long rides in the dark or touring, as you can always pick up batteries in most shops.

Do you find a lot of battery shops on canal tow paths...?

Alex321

Veteran
60... I'm thinking 20-30 is what I wanna spend.
60 pound lamp seems more of a top end lamp IMO
£60 is about the bottom end really for lights to see with, rather than to be seen by.

£20-30 lights will be OK if you are riding on lit roads, or if you are limiting your speed to about 10 miles an hour, maybe 15 on good roads. You will not get something good enough to be riding at 15-20mph on a can towpath for that money.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No you can get them much cheaper than that. Ebay- cree bike lights.
Not manufactured in any way by CREE of course

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Manufactured by the Chinese like everything.
I've had bike lights which have turned night into day for very little. You do not have to spend a lot and the battery has been fine. I wouldn't leave anything on charge and go out though from anywhere. OP you can get a light that will suit your needs for less than £20.00.

Brooks

I spent a long time researching this very subject looking at the pros and cons of lighting systems. Asking lots of experienced cyclists in my group their opinions. Decent lights is what people need, so I spent a long time looking on various forums trying to find the answer.
I invested in a hand built Dynamo hub wheel from spa including B&M front and rear lights setting me back £180. I can honestly say my set up knocks spots off of anyone on our rides, my advice would be have a serious look at a Dynamo hub set up, you won't regret it.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Browsing through eBay,Amazon etc....how does one choose a light these days with the selection available! There are loads to choose from!
I'm planning to ride a local towpath at night,about 35 miles all in and it's pitch black,no lighting at all.
Since I'm not a regular night rider, I don't want the latest 100 pound light set,just something with half decent front light that will hold up for 2 hours so I can do the tow path.
What's anyone tried on a budget and had good experiences and what are the ones to avoid
Tia
Just as an aside 17.5 on road is a very good average on a towpath I think it's amazing, questionable in many ways but that's a different discussion. I wouldn't be skimping on lights in anyway trying to achieve these speeds on a towpath.

Top Bottom