Lights.... but not the usual

Which light is more important?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Depends on the road conditions, I'd opt for both.

If you ride a lot of unlit roads then a good front light is essential to actually see the road surface. The rear can be fairly dim and still show up to following traffic.

On well lit streets a brighter rear light, preferable flashing, is easier to pick out from the various street side lights and reflections, and a front blinker does the same.

I solve this issue with at least two lights at either end, one blinking, one steady.

Sandra6

Veteran
I voted rear, thinking it was more important for the car behind to see me than it was for ones on the other side of the road coming towards me - I can see them thanks to their lights.
But I've just changed my mind.
A car behind me will see me because their lights will pick me out, a car coming out of a junction or on a RAB wouldn't see me unless it was for the front light, so now I think front lights are more important.
Although obviously I have both -two of each after a recent battery issue.

I hate cycling without both a font and rear light though I have in the past cycled without a front light when the batteries died. I'd never cycle without a rear light though. I voted for rear lights being more important.

sheffgirl

I would say rear lights are more important for passing drivers to see you from behind. I have 2, one steady on my bike and a flashing one on my backpack. A front light is also important for side roads and pedestrians.
Flashing lights are easier to see from further away, but it is easier yo judge the speed of a steady light. I switch my front light to flashing if I am using the cycle path or shared use path on the pavement so pedestrians will see me sooner.

gbb

Legendary Member
IMO, front is more important, or should be as bright as possible.
As a driver, you invariably, almost always have loads of time to see even a dim rear light on a bike, you are approaching the cyclists for some time, sometimes 30 seconds or more. All the time in the world to see it.
From the front, the clear or white bike light can easily get lost in the myriad of street lights, car headlamps, house lights, etc etc, there's a host of things there to confuse your vision. Then there's the time you occasionally have to see the cyclists front light, sometimes only seconds at a roundabout, junction etc.
Bright flashing front light for me every time.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The commonest collision types involving cyclists are of the vehicles pulling out from junctions and turning into junctions variety. These cut across the path of the cyclist as they proceed forward. Getting hit from behind is, thankfully, still a far less common type of collision. However, on unlit country lanes things are a bit different. Getting hit from behind is still unlikely, but it is ranked far higher (near the top, IIRC) as a causal collision type (unlike in urban environments where it is very low on the list). Unfortunately, due to increased traffic speed (NSL roads etc) they are invariably KSI casualties.

It’s also worth mentioning that cyclists are often involved in crashes and collisions where they are the only vehicle involved and are proceeding forward. The causes of these types of crashes are manifold but, ice, diesel, painted white lines, drain covers, wet leaves, too much speed, and not paying proper attention must account for a high proportion of these incidents. A rear light won't help with any of these issues, but a front light just might.

Last edited:
Top Bottom