Lights. CREE XML XM-L T6 / U2 etc Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
imagine riding with two of these ;-)
You really only need one, the only thing I have to say about it, is unless you know the road dont ride as fast as you can (because of pot-holes, not so easy to make out in the light of the lamp), because they are that bright its like riding in daylight (well almost), a 2nd would be handy as back up.
Excellent pictures Nigel, great comparison shots, I think I need one of these!
Great comparative photo's Nige... Will be investing within the week!!
Thanks, I take better pictures than I ride a bike.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
i allways ride with two front lights one solid one flashing then the moronic drivers cant claim they did not see me
They wont miss you with this, they really wont, I have driven cars that the headlights arn't this good, not to mention cars that dont have as good as lights as this.
I did the last 2 miles home in just over a minute longer than my best time ever tonight, 1/2 was light by street lights and and least 3/4 wasn't then the final 1/4 of a mile or so was, the time ranks as my 10th fastest out of 21 times.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If anyone is concerned with dazzling on-coming traffic, have a look at what I posted somewhere else ... it's a reflector thing for flattening and widening the beam.

As long as it fits this light - problem solved :thumbsup: (if it is considered a problem) ^_^

Lanzecki

Über Member
Mine is brighter then my Jeep lights on full beam (I must clean them). It's a good beam spread with a centre that's stronger. Nigel is right that it can be hard to see pot holes. I guess this is that as it's so bright your eye's adjust to the brightness, when you look outside the beam everything is blacker then if you didn't use a light at all.

I have a 5 Watt light that points about 60 degrees to fill in the black spot between the light and the bike to allow me to see the pot holes. Or rather it's cow poo round my way.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
If anyone is concerned with dazzling on-coming traffic, have a look at what I posted somewhere else ... it's a reflector thing for flattening and widening the beam.

As long as it fits this light - problem solved :thumbsup: (if it is considered a problem) ^_^
I always consider other road users, its easy to angel the light down to cover the same area as a cars dipped beam, which in theory dosn't dazzle, how ever some car uses dont seem to realize that extra weight in the back lifts the the angle of the headlights, most cars have a headlight leveller these days, though many dont know how to use them. I didnt pass much on coming traffic, but no one flashed me to say it was a problem, though I did notice cars dipped there headlight sooner than they used to. Just measured it, its 39mm same size, I will recheck tomorrow with a ruler rather than the measuring tape, thanks for the link.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
Mine is brighter then my Jeep lights on full beam (I must clean them). It's a good beam spread with a centre that's stronger. Nigel is right that it can be hard to see pot holes. I guess this is that as it's so bright your eye's adjust to the brightness, when you look outside the beam everything is blacker then if you didn't use a light at all.

I have a 5 Watt light that points about 60 degrees to fill in the black spot between the light and the bike to allow me to see the pot holes. Or rather it's cow poo round my way.
Mud round here.

This is the route I took tonight, some street lights at Womesley lower right and Darrington lower left, and at the start and finish, the rest just dark country lanes.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/smlxnMx94I8

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Two days, though I did order it just after midnight Tuesday morning, It was dispatched Tuesday A.M.
Thank you :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The T6 is quite spotty, so it's good for the throw. I've fitted the wide angle lense to my Magicshine - reduces the throw, but you get loads more useable light nearer, and it picks up all the sides of trails. I've got a 3 x T6 unit on order for the 'spot'.

Most MTB riders run a light on the helmet - wide angle on bars, spot helmet. The two differing light angles help pick up boulders and holes, as just having bar mounted lights, the surface can look a bit 'flat'.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
The T6 is quite spotty, so it's good for the throw. I've fitted the wide angle lense to my Magicshine - reduces the throw, but you get loads more useable light nearer, and it picks up all the sides of trails. I've got a 3 x T6 unit on order for the 'spot'.

Most MTB riders run a light on the helmet - wide angle on bars, spot helmet. The two differing light angles help pick up boulders and holes, as just having bar mounted lights, the surface can look a bit 'flat'.
I never ride off road, (its never appealed), I would imagine the wider spread being useful on roads that have open woodlands or open moors, most of the roads around here are fenced (walled) or open crop fields, so not much danger of deer or sheep. I got the t6 because the lights I can afford dont really give much light and this seemed the best alternative, I will probably get the diffuser to help in avoiding dazzling on coming traffic, but until such time I will most likely use it on low power and make sure its pointed down enough not to dazzle, most of my late afternoon rides are in light areas, but its nice to know I can at least see the road now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
On lit roads, I just point the T6 to the ground about 10 feet in front, so that's where the main beam falls. There is still tonnes of light to be seen.

Never ridden off road - oh you have to do it, especially at night in pitch black. :thumbsup: Nothing better, even better if you can get up onto a hill side on a clear night - views are amazing.

OP
OP
Nigelnaturist
On lit roads, I just point the T6 to the ground about 10 feet in front, so that's where the main beam falls. There is still tonnes of light to be seen.

Never ridden off road - oh you have to do it, especially at night in pitch black. :thumbsup: Nothing better, even better if you can get up onto a hill side on a clear night - views are amazing.
Its never interested me, I understand what you mean though, besides I have a job keeping decent speeds on a road, plus i couldn't afford a m.t.b. money ear marked for other things.

Top Bottom