Lights On?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

endoman

My 1/2 watt Smart turned itself on on the commute home last night thanks to getting a bit of spray in it. An hour or two in the airing cupboard and it's back to normal. Must remember to use bike with mudguards next time it's as wet as yesterday!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I apologise, I don't think I made my point at all clearly. I was having a mini-rant about the proliferation of daylight running of lights - for that to be useful on a bicycle you need to spend a lot of money

Super bright lights are quite cheap, actually. OTOH I'm ambivalent, and I do sort of agree with the anti-daytime running lights side of things, although I've chosen to fall on the other side of the debate. Selfish? Possibly, but there are advantages to running lights in the daytime.

fimm

Veteran
Super bright lights are quite cheap, actually. OTOH I'm ambivalent, and I do sort of agree with the anti-daytime running lights side of things, although I've chosen to fall on the other side of the debate. Selfish? Possibly, but there are advantages to running lights in the daytime.

I sympathise with the ambivalence - I've beome less and less convinced of the usefulness of a h*lm*t for protecting me from anything other than criticism - but I've yet to leave the thing at home... :wacko:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I got as far as chucking a front light into my bag the other day but it's usually pretty light when I'm cycling at this time of year...

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I have lights on my bike all year round as well working shifts mean I`m out at different times of the day morning till night. However coming off shifts to go into the office job now so during summer at least I may get away with ditching the lights. For now though, I`m considering the magicshine rear light, my neighbour bought one and it looks the dogs danglies and bright as ........ :smile:

albion

Guru
Lidl have the Eneloop type batteries in at £3 per 4.The AAA are certainly 850mah and think the AA are 2100 mahSupposedly these test very well so are better than their usual stuff.Low self discharge makes them always 'ready to use'.

akb

Veteran
Lights are mounted throughout the year; have just purchased a new Cateye HL-EL530 to compliment my Smart lights. The Cateye is intended as a buget 'seeing' light with the front and rear Smarts as 'be seen' lights. Most of my commute home is via unlit track and road, which I tried yesterday and was shocked at the effort I had to put in to just see where i was going with my basic Smart set up!
May invest in a helmet mounted light or cheap headtorch too. Shall see how it goes!

I've always got lights fitted. At the moment I'm commuting to work in the daylight (set off 5.30pm, arrive about 6.45pm), but that'll change soon. My ride home is along an unlit country A road (A40 between Gloucester and Ross on Wye, for them that know it) and is usually undertaken around 4am, so I need lights all year round apart from a very brief period at the height of summer.

Jezston

Über Member
Basic blinkers attached all year round, just not-so-cheap Cateyes - 6 LED thing on the front that's remarkably bright, and one of the newer ones on the back that's 2 little LEDs and a big one in the middle. The rear is set to just blink the little LEDs during daylight, but goes on full disco after dark.

Got an LEDWear backpack cover which gives me flourescent which works very well in muggy daylight, reflectives and a VERY dodgy set of LEDs for nightime. Scrapping that as soon as someone buys me a Carradice bag! Hope Vision One on the front gets turned on at night - best cycling related purchase I've ever made.

Anyone recommend helmet lights? I've found people with these on VERY noticeable, even when the lights themselves aren't terribly bright. Thinking of getting some little things like Knog jobs to attach, unless there's anything compact out there that takes AAs? Got millions of rechargeable AA batteries!

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been using my lights on the way home from work for a fortnight now, I have a quarter to seven finish time. I keep one set of lights on the bike most of the year, I went to fit the second set a few weeks ago and couldn't remember how to get the front Cateye apart to put new batteries in. :unsure: fortunately I still had the instructions.

Top Bottom