Lights On?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
have a front and rear flash every day, a newish astrum rear which is excellent for the money and at the mo the astrum front which is again excellent, I use that as a handy torch mostly

the exposure race has been off for repairs, the mount wore after two years and the rubber button broke off at the start of the last DD (managed to thankfully get it on using a ribena straw

but fair play to the Maxxlights people, even though it was outside the 2 year warranty they repaired both problems and sent it back for free, so that'll be going back on shortly, it's lovely and bright with a good flash pattern that alternates between on and really on

if you have good lights why not run them? the front especially really gets seen, I notice the difference

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
always have at least a front and a rear on the commuter, they were needed this morning as it was grim .I do commute at 6am either to work or the return trip dependent on shift.

As the days get shorter i will gradually build up the selection to the full winter set of a Magicshine, 100 lumen torch along with a 2X.5 watt superflash + 2 standard flashers on the back + a helmet rear flasher.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have no lights on my bike in the spring/summer/early autumn months but by the looks of things may have to put on soon for the evening run

Holdsworth

Über Member
I am pretty much sorted for lights now, a MJ 808 and a 5 led Torch up front and a 1W and flasher on the rear. I was preparing for unlit commuting down the rural lanes but since my job has changed (sacked) I will be commuting 3.5 miles to Crewe industrial estate, instead of 9 miles to the A51 Chester Road. This means I'll be cycling through the urban area of Crewe, that is unless I change and take the long way round with can be either 6 or 8 miles through mostly unlit lanes.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Lights on all year but the Niteriders have now been added now the school run mahem has started.....not that it makes any difference in Bolton,they are mostly blinkered drivers !!!!

fimm

Veteran
Do people really think it is worth running with lights turned on during summer daylight? I rekon most bike lights are so weedy that they wouldn't make a difference as to whether someone sees you or not and all you are doing is wasting the battery.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Do people really think it is worth running with lights turned on during summer daylight? I rekon most bike lights are so weedy that they wouldn't make a difference as to whether someone sees you or not and all you are doing is wasting the battery.

You have Cateye lights and ICMFP. :tongue:

There are plenty of lights out there that are more than strong enough to be seen in daylight, even ones that aren't unrealistically expensive. For myself, I think it's a worthwhile anti-insurance liar measure, and it's nice to get drivers pulling out of my way as they notice the MaXx-D flashing coming up on them.

scouserinlondon

Are Cateye lights not very good then?

I've been considering the purchase of a set for a while now.

the general opinion here is that you can get a lot more brightness for your money with other brands. Hope 1, MagicShine and fenix torches are particular faves here.

Some light is better than none, but the veterans on here recommend investing in a lot more light than the average joe commuter uses, and to be honest since investing in some more robust lighting myself, I have felt safer and been given more room by other road users.

sabian92

Über Member
Mine are on flashing regardless, but having said that, if a driver doesn't see a guy on a bike a poxy flashing light isn't going to make a lot of difference.

Top Bottom