Lights On?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Mine'll go on this weekend. It seems to have suddenly gone all autumnal round here...

The commute is one that I mainly need lights to be seen, rather than see with.

Front I have a couple of smart headlights, mounted on an accessory bar, which itself is stem mounted.

At the rear I have a self made stainless steel bracket on the back of the pannier. On this I have 2 Smart superflash rear lights. The bracket allows me to mount them 8" apart, which I like to think gives me some width in the eyes of any approaching motorist.

The bracket and the seat stays also have 3m diamond grade reflective tape. Which I'm told is very effective.

Origamist

Legendary Member
I saw your light, it's insanely bright. Is it mounted with a lockblock type thing?

Yep, two parallel lockblocks and a lockblock cut in half at the end of the stem to keep it all secure (plus a velcro cinch strap). What with the camera too, I often get some funny looks/questions at traffic lights.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Mine stay on the bike all year round now - they get turned on in the rain, on overcast / dull / misty / haar-y/ foggy days and such.

It's that time of year when I leave the flat in the mornings at 6.00am it's still dark, only getting light at around 6.20. Depressing after the lack of summer... :angry:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Mine stay on the bike all year round now - they get turned on in the rain, on overcast / dull / misty / haar-y/ foggy days and such.

It's that time of year when I leave the flat in the mornings at 6.00am it's still dark, only getting light at around 6.20. Depressing after the lack of summer... :angry:

All year round in Scotland then
biggrin.gif

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Mine are on flashing regardless, but having said that, if a driver doesn't see a guy on a bike a poxy flashing light isn't going to make a lot of difference.

You're right, not a lot is going to help a driver that can't see a chap on a bicycle in daylight. OTOH if your light isn't significantly more visible than a cyclist, and I mean by an order of magnitude, then you most likely have older and weaker lights.

Simon Mason

I have my rear light on pulsing mode all the time, even in summer. I always carry a front light as well.

An Exposure Flash during the day and an Exposure Six Pack in the dark.

Norm

I put a pair of relatively cheap (similar price to Frogs) lights on my son's bike yesterday and Mrs Norm, who usually rejects anything which costs money, said that she was impressed at the difference they made.

A set like the Flash / Flare combo might cost £80 including rechargeable batteries and charger, but they are, IMO, worth considerably more.

lip03

Über Member
first day back at work after 3 weeks off this week! and have had to double up! double leds on the front and flashing red leds on the back! one on the bike one on my bag! bloody weather! :tongue:

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Maybe someone can offer some advice to a first time light buyer?....

I plan on adding two rear lights, one on my saddle bad attachment and one below this on my seat post...

Does anyone have any recomendations, happy to spend up to and around £50 on the rears.

Top Bottom