Lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dav1d

I am looking for decent bike lights, as my current ones are not too bright, and I don't feel too safe with them (even though they are legal).

I want some very bright lights, but not so bright that they dazzle drivers!

What are the best cheap lights?

kyuss

Veteran
Anything that's good enough to see by is going to dazzle drivers if not pointed in the right direction, even a basic LED.

What's your budget? I use some AyUp's but I'm guessing that's not what you had in mind when you said cheap. The Hope Vision 1 looks very very good for the money as a dedicated bike light, but if you're properly skint then Fenix torches seem to come highly recommended when on a tight budget, with the drawback being they are quite bulky.

Vehicle lighting beams are filtered and shaped by the lens and reflector

lights_diagram1.gif

This is why there are bright beams that do not blind drivers. Cycle lights have a simple full beam of light and it is the to half of the beam that causes the problem

There is no easy answer. To illuminate the road at a reasonable difference then the light will have to have a "dazzle" factor". However it will still not be as bright or dazzling as many car lights.

Compromise is the answer.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
German bike lighting laws don't allow dazzle - the fine for using un-approved dazzling lights is more than for having no lights. If you want a bright light that doesn't dazzle, get a German light - probably either B+M or Trelock.

eg
B+M Ixon IQ (this would be a little better than the Hope Vision 1 or a Fenix in terms of light on the road).

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Don't worry about dazzling drivers, most vehicle lights are poorly adjusted, especially 4x4s. It's been that way since they started putting headlamp adjustment controls in the car for towing. Most drivers have these set at full up position because they are too f'ing stupid to know what the adjuster is for.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Alembicbassman said:
Don't worry about dazzling drivers, most vehicle lights are poorly adjusted, especially 4x4s. It's been that way since they started putting headlamp adjustment controls in the car for towing. Most drivers have these set at full up position because they are too f'ing stupid to know what the adjuster is for.

Isnt that supposed to be addressed at MoT?

Alembicbassman said:
Don't worry about dazzling drivers, most vehicle lights are poorly adjusted
I was going down a steep back road the other night. Its twisty and unlit and my lights were a bit overkill, a Tesco Cree (solid), a smart 5LED (flashing), a bespoke 1/2watt (flashing) and a cateye EL410 (solid). at the bottom of one hill a driver sat there indicating to turn right into another side road, the very moment I approached him he turned off his indicator and turned on his full beam. Luckily that's the only straight bit of road, if that was revenge for me dazzling him it wasn't appreciated :evil:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
+1 for the B&M range. Not really cheap, but do a very good job. ~£100 gets you a decent front, rear and bottle dynamo. Fit and forget. No batteries. All LED. No bulbs to change.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Actually for the price i have to recommend another tesco light. Theres a set of front and rear.. the rear is naff but the front is on parr with the cateye 520 in brightness, plus it has very good side vis due to a ring of light they've designed into it.

I think my Brother paid £15 for his. Would be quite reasonable as a back up

Top Bottom