Lightweight cassette lock ring tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Your a cycling instructor and you don't know how to emergency brake on the road.

I was taught by the CTC to be able to teach to Level Three Bikability. They are very much against front braking only.

There is a good discussion about front braking only here

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Rather than reading a discussion by some fan boys who probably know nothing about basic physics, let's read what Sheldon brown has to say about it http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brakturn.html

Edit. Having read some of the mythbusters thread. No one makes a compelling argument as to why front + back is better than front. Espcillay when given it's on Tarmac and in a straight line

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Lol I never said he was god. Even the page you linked to shows little information that backs up what you say.
One guy tries to make a point that surface area is important but he completely misses out the fact of weight.
The rest agree with what I say.
You may not find anything else because you are not truely looking for it.

And btw the Ctc and bikeability are not god ;)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Lol I never said he was god. Even the page you linked to shows little information that backs up what you say.
One guy tries to make a point that surface area is important but he completely misses out the fact of weight.
The rest agree with what I say.
You may not find anything else because you are not truely looking for it.

And btw the Ctc and bikeability are not god ;)

Oh I truly am. I find many people quoting Sheldon. I know Bikeabiliy is not god. However Bikeability is supported by many professional bodies (see bottom of page) and the course was put together with amongst others ROSPA. Stick to your method and I will stick to mine. Works in all weather conditions and on all surfaces (unlike front brake only which is safe on dry road only)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I don't think anyone is claiming this is the best way to stop in all conditions. It certainly is in the dry tarmac. And it's deffinetly not something you would even think about trying off road.

As I said the Ctc and bikeability want to prevent people from hurting them selves and front wheel braking always has the potential for hitting the deck if you dont know what you are doing.

The reason a lot of people go to Sheldon is he knows what he is talking about and backs it up with facts.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I don't think anyone is claiming this is the best way to stop in all conditions. It certainly is in the dry tarmac. And it's deffinetly not something you would even think about trying off road.

As I said the Ctc and bikeability want to prevent people from hurting them selves and front wheel braking always has the potential for hitting the deck if you dont know what you are doing.

The reason a lot of people go to Sheldon is he knew what he was talking about and backed it up with facts.

FTFY.

He has his opinion. Others have theirs.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
FTFY.

He has his opinion. Others have theirs.
Ta, if only others backed their opinions up with facts.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
This thread was about a nice little lockring tool. Can't you guys get a room to argue about the meaning of the word maximum?

Looks like a nice little tool, and nice work, though I doubt I'd want to spend all that time milling the arm on the back. I think I'd just get the 'next best thing' one from Spa

martint235

Dog on a bike
This thread was about a nice little lockring tool. Can't you guys get a room to argue about the meaning of the word maximum?

Looks like a nice little tool, and nice work, though I doubt I'd want to spend all that time milling the arm on the back. I think I'd just get the 'next best thing' one from Spa

Don't spoil it now, I was just off to get popcorn!!! :biggrin:

It is an amazing thread with little to do with the tool in question!

Don't spoil it now, I was just off to get popcorn!!! :biggrin:

Sweet or salty?

It is an amazing thread with little to do with the tool in question!

Its everything to do with it and based on whether you need to make the tool and carry it in the first place or whether you can just unhitch your rear brake and rely on just the front one till you get to a bike shop.

Top Bottom