Lightweight cassette lock ring tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No, it means if you braked any harder the bike would up-end itself and you would go over the bars. Typically around 0.6-0.7G braking for a bike and not much change whether you hang your bum over the rear wheel or stay on the saddle..

Of course there is the Richards Bicycle Book (original) method of throwing the bike sideways and sliding to a stop on buckling wheels but I've never seen anyone actually do that. But if they did it would probably brake faster.
If you can still brake harder you are NOT AT MAX braking.

But the biggest reason of all? Someone might see me riding along with a buckled wheel and my brakes all undone and flapping about. Too embarrassing. Jesus I'd be mortified. I'd rather ride along with my gooley hanging out quite frankly.

You are a sensitive little flower ;). Do you really care that much about what someone who most probably has no clue who you are and will never see you again thinks?

And I'm sure most people would rather you kept your goolies in and had a wobbly back wheel plus you won't get the embarrassment of getting yourself arrested and featured in the local paper for a wobbly back wheel :smile:

If you can still brake harder you are NOT AT MAX braking.

Not sure whether you are being naturally or deliberately obtuse but once you start going over the bars you and the bike are falling, tumbling and sliding not braking. Ergo maximum braking is braking as hard as you can without going over the bars.

Wet braking surfaces, a loose or wet road surface, or even the highly unlikely chance of front brake failure. Each of them enough reason for me not to want to unhook my rear brake in order to ride 100 miles on a buckled wheel.

You are allowed to ride more slowly if its wet or slippery and you only have the front brake. Plus there are very few situations where you actually would need to ride 100 miles to get to a bike shop. Even in the Highlands of Scotland. If you are in Outer Mongolia it might be a bit different.

I presume you always carry spare brake cables and brake blocks with you when you go out just in case one of the brakes fails and leaves you having to ride home on only one brake which might fail too.

That is optimal braking - not maximum.

No, its not optimal because optimal takes account of the situation, maximum doesn't. Unless there is an emergency there is no need to go near lifting the rear wheel and optimal braking is a far lower deceleration than maximum. If it were otherwise the whole world would be going round doing emergency stops as it was the optimal (i.e. most favourable or desirable) braking. I would love to know how you propose to achieve even greater braking than that that is on the margin of throwing you off the bike.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No, its not optimal because optimal takes account of the situation, maximum doesn't. Unless there is an emergency there is no need to go near lifting the rear wheel and optimal braking is a far lower deceleration than maximum. If it were otherwise the whole world would be going round doing emergency stops as it was the optimal (i.e. most favourable or desirable) braking. I would love to know how you propose to achieve even greater braking than that that is on the margin of throwing you off the bike.

max·i·mum (m
abreve.gif
k
prime.gif
s
schwa.gif
-m
schwa.gif
m)n. pl. max·i·mums or max·i·ma (-m
schwa.gif
) 1. a. The greatest possible quantity or degree.b. The greatest quantity or degree reached or recorded; the upper limit of variation.c. The time or period during which the highest point or degree is attained.2. An upper limit permitted by law or other authority.3. Astronomy a. The moment when a variable star is most brilliant.b. The magnitude of the star at such a moment.4. Mathematics a. The greatest value assumed by a function over a given interval.b. The largest number in a set.adj.1. Having or being the greatest quantity or the highest degree that has been or can be attained: maximum temperature.2. Of, relating to, or making up a maximum: a maximum number in a series.

op·ti·mal (
obreve.gif
p
prime.gif
t
schwa.gif
-m
schwa.gif
l)adj. Most favorable or desirable; optimum.

Attachments

• schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 31
  • prime.gif
    prime.gif
    55 bytes · Views: 29
  • schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 27
  • schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 35
  • schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 32

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I wanted something small and lightweight to take on tour and I kept coming up with references to 'hypercracker' and 'the next best thing', both of which seem tricky to get hold off.

Then I came across another idea, not one I had seen mentioned here so thought I'd post it up.

Taking a regular lock ring removal tool, use a hacksaw to cut it down leaving a lug to engage in the drop out, like so...

95deed15.jpg

I loosened the lock ring first and did it up hand tight so it won't take too much leverage to loosen if the need arises out on the road.

Chris

Bet you're glad you started this thread...

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just back to the original point. Was the lockring removal tool really so heavy to begin with??

max·i·mum (m
abreve.gif
k
prime.gif
s
schwa.gif
-m
schwa.gif
m)n. pl. max·i·mums or max·i·ma (-m
schwa.gif
) 1. a. The greatest possible quantity or degree.b. The greatest quantity or degree reached or recorded; the upper limit of variation.c. The time or period during which the highest point or degree is attained.2. An upper limit permitted by law or other authority.3. Astronomy a. The moment when a variable star is most brilliant.b. The magnitude of the star at such a moment.4. Mathematics a. The greatest value assumed by a function over a given interval.b. The largest number in a set.adj.1. Having or being the greatest quantity or the highest degree that has been or can be attained: maximum temperature.2. Of, relating to, or making up a maximum: a maximum number in a series.

op·ti·mal (
obreve.gif
p
prime.gif
t
schwa.gif
-m
schwa.gif
l)adj. Most favorable or desirable; optimum.

As I said " I would love to know how you propose to achieve even greater braking than that that is on the margin of throwing you off the bike."

Attachments

• schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 29
  • schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 33
  • prime.gif
    prime.gif
    55 bytes · Views: 31
  • schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 31
  • schwa.gif
    schwa.gif
    57 bytes · Views: 30
Just back to the original point. Was the lockring removal tool really so heavy to begin with??

I suspect its less that than with a conventional removal tool you also need a chain whip and a large spanner for the lockring tool. With this adjustment into a hypercracker equivalent you just need the tool.

I am simply questioning your use of the word maximum.

And saying its not maximum, it optimum, which it definitely is not generically.

But if you are questioning my use of the word maximum you must have a view that you can brake even harder than what I have called the maximum. So it would be helpful to know how you envisage that even harder braking being achieved and if you can't why you are quibbling about it not being the maximum.

But I suspect you are just trying to nit-pick for the sake of it rather than trying to make any substantive point.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
And saying its not maximum, it optimum, which it definitely is not generically.

But if you are questioning my use of the word maximum you must have a view that you can brake even harder than what I have called the maximum. So it would be helpful to know how you envisage that even harder braking being achieved and if you can't why you are quibbling about it not being the maximum.

But I suspect you are just trying to nit-pick for the sake of it rather than trying to make any substantive point.

If you are a driving instructor and you told someone to use maximum brakes what do you think the person would do? Maximum means all of. Optimal means the perfect amount of... in this case force to use in order to bring the bike to a stop. I still wil continue to use both brakes as the CTC taught me for both on and off road riding.

Top Bottom