Lightweight luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Anybody with a link to lightweight but strong panniers etc?

My Avenir panniers are lovely, but they are heavy, I've realised I don't need extra pockets, on the cover or pannier, I don't even need an aesthetically pleasing design. I only use them to pack up in a morning and stick some food in for lunch.

I'd love to lose, or at least some of, this unnecessary weight, keep thinking panniers made out of building/rubble sack material would be great..........

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
they wouldnt last to long methinks...my carradices have inner rubble sacks and they split to easy.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I like my Ortileb panniers. I have had them 2 years and they have been kicked and dumped everywhere and they are still like new. They are really tough and waterproof.

Quite expensive but well worth it. In my opinion.

Steve

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
You are right Vernon, but, I'd be happy to lose the weight for panniers that were not as durable. I don't think I'll ever be able to wear out the ones I've got, so it's not really "value" that I am after. I'd like some with a durable but light material, no zipped extra pockets and with a rear "wall" pocket to insert plastic to retain shape with touring load.

Really, I'd like panniers just like the ones I use but weighing 50% less. ^_^

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
I think I have a set of them Bigjim, bought from Ebay. I don't need the rear pockets and the zips bust quickly anyway, they weigh a lot less than my Avenir's but are not great, if I use them on a sports rack, they have little rear rigidity and tend to curl into the spokes.

Anybody with a link to lightweight but strong panniers etc?

My Avenir panniers are lovely, but they are heavy, I've realised I don't need extra pockets, on the cover or pannier, I don't even need an aesthetically pleasing design. I only use them to pack up in a morning and stick some food in for lunch.

I'd love to lose, or at least some of, this unnecessary weight, keep thinking panniers made out of building/rubble sack material would be great..........
How much do they weigh?

bigjim

Legendary Member
I think I have a set of them Bigjim, bought from Ebay. I don't need the rear pockets and the zips bust quickly anyway, they weigh a lot less than my Avenir's but are not great
Thats a shame. I'm really pleased with mine. I've had no problems with them and they have took a fair bit of bashing about on campsites, bad weather, planes etc. I always put fairy liquid across zips though and of course I've not used them with a sports rack. I got mine from their e-bay site. I think I paid £10 incl P&P.:smile:
8142954827_a37c907e77_z.jpg

willem

Über Member
http://hyaliteequipment.com/bike-gear/view/ltw-small-pannier- The LTW small pannier. These were previously known as Pacific Outdoor panniers.
They are 1020 grams a pair, for 36 litres capacity. That is a bit less than the 40 litres of a pair of Ortlieb Backrollers, but those are 1900 grams. These are officially front panniers (there are also bigger rear panniers), but I think 36 litres in all should be enough for anyone who is into this kind of weight saving. I have no idea how durable they are, but the fixing stuff is Klickfix, so high quality.
Alternatively, there is the cheaper (about 1500 grams for a set of rear panniers) Ortlieb City Line (but you loose some convenient straps) or the even a bit lighter experimental no frills special edition of the Plus series: http://www.outdoorworks.de/index.php?site=index.html&prod=7337&vid=86748&function=set_lang&lang=en But the LTW small is the lightest one I know. I am tempted to get a pair (mind you, they are usually sold as singles), because almost 900 grams makes rather a big difference. I agree most panniers are ridiculously heavy compared to light sleeping bags, modern mattresses and light tents.
Willem

P.H

Über Member
I'm tempted to get the sewing machine out and have a go at making my own, just need a set of old/damaged panniers for the fittings. Weight could be saved by making them to match my rack without the need for adjustment. I reckon the weight would be around 700g plus the weight of the fittings, maybe another 400g, 1.1kg total. The durability probably wouldn't be great, but the cost wouldn't be much and I doubt it would take more than a couple of hours once the pattern was sorted. I think I've found my winter project...

bigjim

Legendary Member
But you can buy a durable pair for a tenner that weigh 1.2kg! I suppose there is a satisfaction in making your own although I would not have the skill or patience. Or the sewing machine. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.:smile:

Top Bottom