Lightweight luggage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
How much do they weigh?

Good question. First, they are Altura not Avenir, I got muddled up. They weigh 850g (on cheap kitchen scales), each bag, tbh that is less than I anticipated. The area with the most weight, unsurprisingly, is the rear insert that provides the rigidity and the metal bar that holds said insert stable. I accept that they are a sturdy, well built product.

So, 1.7kg, not bad on the face of it. But when I checked in the panniers with everything I needed to cross Spain, North to South, the entire weight was 5.5kg. On my return I realised that I'd taken too many tools and duplicated things, MP3 player + phone etc. Also I had 5 different Michelin maps (I like maps). I know I could get down to 4kg inc the panniers.

Panniers weighing 1.7g to only carry 2.3kg is silly.

Good question
Why thanks.

Have you looked at saddle bags? You can pack 20 odd litres of kit into many with a bag weight under a kg.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Does anyone know anything about these from Clas Ohlson? I was thinking of some of these for when I'm teaching to carry the odd tools, tubes, coat, books etc. I don't want full touring panniers but nothing too small.
I doubt they would be big enough to carry shopping in but I have some cheap Aldi/Lidl (not sure where I got them from:whistle:) ones I use for that. Got a couple of Kilos of spuds and some carrots in one so they are strong enough for most things.

Crankarm

Guru
I'm tempted to get the sewing machine out and have a go at making my own, just need a set of old/damaged panniers for the fittings. Weight could be saved by making them to match my rack without the need for adjustment. I reckon the weight would be around 700g plus the weight of the fittings, maybe another 400g, 1.1kg total. The durability probably wouldn't be great, but the cost wouldn't be much and I doubt it would take more than a couple of hours once the pattern was sorted. I think I've found my winter project...

Life is too short to waste time doing something like this. There are quite a few good panniers on the market so why not open your wallet and buy some unless you are a tight wad.

Crankarm

Guru
Good question. First, they are Altura not Avenir, I got muddled up. They weigh 850g (on cheap kitchen scales), each bag, tbh that is less than I anticipated. The area with the most weight, unsurprisingly, is the rear insert that provides the rigidity and the metal bar that holds said insert stable. I accept that they are a sturdy, well built product.

So, 1.7kg, not bad on the face of it. But when I checked in the panniers with everything I needed to cross Spain, North to South, the entire weight was 5.5kg. On my return I realised that I'd taken too many tools and duplicated things, MP3 player + phone etc. Also I had 5 different Michelin maps (I like maps). I know I could get down to 4kg inc the panniers.

Ehhh? So you are going to carry a couple of kgs in your jersey pockets? Mad. As I said above life is too short to be worrying about stuff like this. Buy the best and lightest panniers you can afford, lose as much of your OWN weight as possible, become a fitter stronger cyclist by getting the miles in so you have strong legs and lots of endurance. Stop worrying about stuff like this ............ unless you don't have much going on in your life. Sorry to be blunt but I ride 40 miles a day with panniers whether full or with only a few odds and sods and my wallet and keys in. If you are a pretty good cyclist a couple of kgs doesn't make a blind bit of difference unless every time you ride your bike you are entering a TT. The factors that really affect your progress are as I say your weight and fitness, gradient and weather - wind, which direction it is blowing.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
No offence taken Crankarm, I don't have problem with my fitness, length of time I can spend on a bike, wind, daily mileage etc I am an all year round rider. But, weight does matter on a long tour, "dead" weight is not something good, not IMO anyway.

P.H

Über Member
Life is too short to waste time doing something like this. There are quite a few good panniers on the market so why not open your wallet and buy some unless you are a tight wad.
The same attitude says life is too short for cycling, just get a car:blush:
Some of us can see that others motivation may not be the same as our own.

Crankarm

Guru
The same attitude says life is too short for cycling, just get a car:blush:

I don't think so. Making your own panniers when there are so many well made very practical weather proof panniers on the market is frankly nutz. There is being sensible and also realising when some thing is a total waste of time and resources. This idea has got to win first prize without doubt. Sorry but I have to say it again, it is a barmy idea.

Do you wash all your clothes and bedding by hand as you don't have a washing machine?

P.H

Über Member
Do you wash all your clothes and bedding by hand as you don't have a washing machine?
I don't no. it wouldn't give me any pleasure to do so,
Just as I know plenty of people who don't cycle because it would give them no pleasure to do so.

willem

Über Member
In recent years I have gradually reduced my luggage weight significantly, and I am glad I did. It has allowed me to compensate somewhat for my advancing years, and it has opened up more adventurous rides than I could handle before. I never went the really ultralight route, but even so I shaved off at least 10 kg without any reduction in either comfort or reliability. So I do think that once you have done that, heavy panniers like my beloved Ortlieb Classics begin to look a bit out of place, with their share of perhaps 20 % of your luggage weight. Once you have bought a PHD sleeping bag and a Neoair mat with a joint weight of just over 1 kg, it looks a bit odd to stow them inside a set of 1900 gram rear panniers.
Yet I don´t think it follows that you should make your own. There is just no way you can match the quality of good industrially made panniers.
Willem

PpPete

Legendary Member
I wouldn't rule out making your own, if and only if you can't find what you are looking for on the market.
I wanted a particular shape of bag recently (much smaller than a set of panniers) that I couldn't find anywhere so I made it myself, using left-over bits of cordura from a previous project. With it being so small I hand sewed it rather than getting the machine out. It doesn't look pretty, I'm not that good at needlework, but it's light and it works precisely as I wanted.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru

Yes PH, the OP, er me, never mentioned making my own panniers, I simply asked for a link to lightweight panniers, pretty reasonable question I thought. It's not like asked if anybody knew where I could buy some really h.e.a.v.y panniers. ^_^

Less weight is more enjoyment for me and at 1.7kg my panniers weigh too much if the actual load within them is only 300-500g more. Bloody hell, if I put my mind to it, my panniers might weigh more than my load. But I like panniers, my rack is usually taken up with 2L water bottles or camping gear, I like to keep thing separate too. I also have a pair like Big Jims, they are ok, nowhere near the quality of the Altura's, but again the have pockets and zips that I don't need or want. I'll keep looking, no pockets, simple pull over hood and a pocket to take a stiff insert for touring......light...........that'd be nice.

stephenjubb

Über Member
Ehhh? So you are going to carry a couple of kgs in your jersey pockets? Mad. As I said above life is too short to be worrying about stuff like this. Buy the best and lightest panniers you can afford, lose as much of your OWN weight as possible, become a fitter stronger cyclist by getting the miles in so you have strong legs and lots of endurance. Stop worrying about stuff like this ............ unless you don't have much going on in your life. Sorry to be blunt but I ride 40 miles a day with panniers whether full or with only a few odds and sods and my wallet and keys in. If you are a pretty good cyclist a couple of kgs doesn't make a blind bit of difference unless every time you ride your bike you are entering a TT. The factors that really affect your progress are as I say your weight and fitness, gradient and weather - wind, which direction it is blowing.

my sentiments exactly.

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
my sentiments exactly.

:blink: But I already am fit and I am not overweight, at 50 thanks to cycling, I am in better shape and weigh less than did at 25 and, I was in pretty good shape then!

"less weight reduces the number of mechanical problems, decreases energy requirements and fatigue and increases average speed, distance and enjoyment of cycling."

Been looking at lots of stuff, one of my rucksacks appears to be the same material as my Altura panniers, the same anti-tear pattern too, but a much thinner (l.i.g.h.t.e.r) gauge.

Top Bottom