Lightweight mudguards for Giant Defy 2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do wonder if the new SKS Raceblade Long's would work...if so they'd be the best of both worlds - easy to remove at the drop of a hat and also reasonably sturdy if you wanted to keep them on.
Review here

I know my Defy guards (silver) have been pretty good, but then they don't come off & on very often.

I had the Giant own clip on guards a while back they'd fit but tbh they weren't the best, they seemed to keep me dry although following riders would complain and the rubber mounts fell apart.

I have experimented with SKS Chromoplastic mudguards which work well on my Surly Long Haul Trucker but not on my commuter, a Kinesis Racelight Granfondo. I have now gone with Crud Roadracer Mk2 and so far these have been good. Easty to fit and to keep adjusted. Also seem to work well. Really need more rain but to get a better picture with regards on-road experience.

IMG_3162.JPG

Crud Raceguard Mk2 fitted to a Kinesis Racelight Granfondo.

Andrew
I've got the SKS Blumels on my Grand Fondo, however the front guard stays were cut to the right length by a lbs (if you count 50miles away as local), I much prefer older SKS guards for fitting and adjustment and the rear guard has cracked several times.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I am very happy with the Giant specific mudguards fitted to my Defy 2 on Sunday afternoon. The stays did not need cutting to length and they went on and adjusted fairly easily. I did a 10 mile ride in the rain rattling over all sorts of horrible road surfaces and yes, they did squeak a bit over the worst bumps, but any close-fitting guards would have done so. They did not seem fragile when fitting them. I followed the advice on here & fitted them whilst the bike was held up the right way, rather than upside-down.

Oh, and JEJames cycles were very impressive with next day free courier delivery. I even got a text giving me a one-hour timeslot for delivery which was achieved.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Just bought some Raceblade longs and seem great. Easy to fit, easy and quick to take off and to put them back on. Almost genius.

If someone like Shimano could get their head round it they could easily build an intergrated brake/mudguard system for road bikes. I bought black and I would say so far the only minor gripe is all the fittings are zinc plated, would have been much better looking if they had black powder coated them. The zinc parts under the black brakes offend my eyes a little..

I have them fitted to a Specialized Roubaix running 23mm GP4000's plenty of clearance and do not look to shabby.

judder

Hey LOCO,
Have been looking at raceblade long for a while. As they seen to fit you bike what clearance do you have between your rear wheel and frame/brake calipers..
Can't do another winter with cruds the tyre scrapeing noise will send me mad..
Thanks

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Hey LOCO,
Have been looking at raceblade long for a while. As they seen to fit you bike what clearance do you have between your rear wheel and frame/brake calipers..
Can't do another winter with cruds the tyre scrapeing noise will send me mad..
Thanks

you need barely any clearance really as the mudhuard does not go under the Brakes, they snap on to two metal brackets that go on to your caliper and poke out of the end with a quick release. Then the mounts go on to QR skewer. Not ridden with them on as didn't have the tiny Allen Key to make the fine tune adjustments. Although they ran almost perfectly just need a few mm adjustment that you make at the QR end, like in the Video below.

Hard to explain, this does it better

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiBkUT1Kf6E

Top Bottom