Lightweight touring kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
Having done a load of heavily laden tours I am going to attempt my first ever outing using bike packing equipment, doing the King Alfreds Way. This required an "investment" aka splashing out on some lighter kit. Amazingly that rear bag contains a tent (MSR Freelite), airbed (Big Agnes AXL), sleeping bag (PHD minim) and a Sea to Summit pillow. Going to be adding a drybag on the bars with clothes, a small bag on the top tube, and a small rucksack.

The airbed has an inflation bag of 40g. I am replacing that with a tiny pump of 100g which on testing seems amazing and did over 8 refills of my mat based on the charge level when it arrived.

As I will be stealth camping, I am taking a tiny stove and gas bottle so I can have morning coffee. Can't be without that

Can't wait

1624276889630.jpeg

Can't help but ask why you are taking a suspension bike if you are after minimising weight.

(as you may have guessed am dubious about the entire backpacking thing for most applications - nowt to stop folks just strapping some planetX drybags to a minimalist rack).

tho must admit I am very impressed by what you say is in that rear pack.

and also by your insistence on not ditching the vital coffee - can we see your caffeine injection kit?

Good luck with the trip, look forward to reports, all the best.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Can't help but ask why you are taking a suspension bike if you are after minimising weight.
Because I have eight bikes already, none of which are anyway suitable other than this one and I seriously cannot justify a further one.

A decent gravel bike it's going to cost me a couple of thousand and won't get a huge amount of use, whereas the lightweight kit can be easily reused on other trips

congrats on the eight bikes and not splashing out on a gravel thingie (from what I know of the king alfred i wonder whether one would be appropriate anyway) and also on aiming to re-use stuff across other bikes but no non sus mtb or hybrid?
look forward to seeing your coffee kit - will try to post mine if you do.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
coffee kit is a mug usable to heat water, mini stove, mini gas bottle and some sachets of all in one capucino from Aldi. i would love a real coffee but the weight and ingredients too much hassle

i do have this amazing espresso sized Bialetti that I have had for over 20 years but never used as I just don't like espresso. I'd like a decent sized mug real strong coffee with a fair amount of cold milk. The Aldi sachets are not really going to hack it but at least they are hot and coffee flavour

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Looks a nice compact set up, it's always good to see someone else's bike set up for lightweight touring.

I'm a big fan of my morning coffee as well and I use a GSI ultralight java drip filter which folds up and nestles in the bottom of a small gas cylinder. You're meant to put freshly ground coffee straight into the filter and gently pour the water over it, but I've found that a couple of coffee filter papers slows the water down enough to produce the strength of coffee I like. I freshly grind some coffee beans at home before I leave and carry just the right amount in a small Nalgene bottle and whilst not perfect, is still a good cup of morning coffee.

IMG_20200830_075422822_HDR.jpg

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Laundry, free camping/warm bed, hot meal, strong coffee and cats to play with all available at Avebury :smile:

Last edited:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
coffee kit is a mug usable to heat water, mini stove, mini gas bottle and some sachets of all in one capucino from Aldi. i would love a real coffee but the weight and ingredients too much hassle

i do have this amazing espresso sized Bialetti that I have had for over 20 years but never used as I just don't like espresso. I'd like a decent sized mug real strong coffee with a fair amount of cold milk. The Aldi sachets are not really going to hack it but at least they are hot and coffee flavour

View attachment 595092

View attachment 595093

'All in one cappuccino from Aldi'. Surely you can do a tiny bit better? :smile:

raggydoll

Über Member
Looks a nice compact set up, it's always good to see someone else's bike set up for lightweight touring.

I'm a big fan of my morning coffee as well and I use a GSI ultralight java drip filter which folds up and nestles in the bottom of a small gas cylinder. You're meant to put freshly ground coffee straight into the filter and gently pour the water over it, but I've found that a couple of coffee filter papers slows the water down enough to produce the strength of coffee I like. I freshly grind some coffee beans at home before I leave and carry just the right amount in a small Nalgene bottle and whilst not perfect, is still a good cup of morning coffee.

View attachment 595097

What a place to have morning coffee! :okay:

Top Bottom