Lightweight waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member

lejogger

Guru
I've got this: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/categ...ew-endura-rebound-stretch-showerproof--31013/

I wear it all year round - a lightweight summer shower jacket and in the winter as a top layer. Takes a lot of rain before it seeps through. In fact it only started letting anything through in all conditions after I'd washed it half a dozen times.

sdr gb

Falling apart
I have an Altura Pocket Rocket. Had it for a couple of months and can't really fault it. It packs down small so it easily fits in a jersey pocket when the rain stops.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The above comments are right about cheap waterproofs being boil-in-the-bag BUT a great deal depends on how energetically you cycle. IF you're not aiming for personal bests, and simply pootling (commute or otherwise) then it's possible to get something waterproof without breaking the bank
seconded. Decathlon knock them out for £9.99. I have a Ronhill that cost me fourteen quid five or six years ago, and it's as good as new.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/waterproof-cycling-clothes-10206669/

albion

Guru
Last year I bought the simple LIDL ultra lightweight Crivit (no external label) shower proof cycle jacket.I don't cycle in extended rain, its immensely breathable, weighs 100 grams in its own pouch, and was only £9.
It's had got some extended use recently, also being very useful when there is a cooling breeze or cool pit stop.
The pocket rocket also sounds great but do wonder how breathable it is comparatively.

endoman

I've got a Montane Velo H20 arriving tomorrow, wish I had it the last two days as I got proper drenched. Shorts were wetter when I got home than they are out of the washing machine.

Will write back on how I get on with it.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks all. I'll have a potter around the shops at some point...in the US next week, might see if there are any Yankee bargains to be had!

Part of the reason I am not so fussed if a bit Bitb is because I get very cold when wet, my soaked arms especially were cold, so a gilet won't work!

endoman

Thanks all. I'll have a potter around the shops at some point...in the US next week, might see if there are any Yankee bargains to be had!

Part of the reason I am not so fussed if a bit Bitb is because I get very cold when wet, my soaked arms especially were cold, so a gilet won't work!

I had arm warmers on at the start today, rolled down when it got warmer, then rolled down while it lashed it down, was chilly with them down next to skin, so rolled them down again and was fine.

I had a canterbury " cold" baselayer and a cycling jersey, and was plenty warm enough, I might be too hot with that baselayer in better weather though

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I think it's the wet that made me cold - I had an endura top and the Scirocco on...my legs were soaked too, 3/4 lycra, the exposed bits of skin were actually less cold (albeit filthy lol)! Feet were drenched, could wring my socks out...all in less than 30 minutes. It had been a gorgeous morning too, perfect for cycling in just the top!

I am the archetypal fairweather cyclist - I won't cycle if it's wet first thing - more practicalities about getting clean and dry for work (well and the cold).

endoman

I think it's the wet that made me cold - I had an endura top and the Scirocco on...my legs were soaked too, 3/4 lycra, the exposed bits of skin were actually less cold (albeit filthy lol)! Feet were drenched, could wring my socks out...all in less than 30 minutes. It had been a gorgeous morning too, perfect for cycling in just the top!

I am the archetypal fairweather cyclist - I won't cycle if it's wet first thing - more practicalities about getting clean and dry for work (well and the cold).

Yep I had the soaked sock thing as well, ironic thing was I stopped to change from clear to dark lenses on specs, and within a mile the heavens opened. Next ( only) set of lights on the ride where on red, so I changed back while it was persisting down. I can't imagine having covered legs, it must be so hot.

Was quite spectacular seeing steam rise off the road as the sun came out later, shame my gloves were drenched and no amount of wringing would sort that.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks manalog...looks a bit heavy. I really just want something that will resist a heavy shower and can be packed down to nothing and kept in the backpack

Top Bottom