Lightweight waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Having got utterly drenched the other night in my Altura Scirocco (ok for dry windy slighly cool days), I am looking for a jacket that will keep me dry(ish) for up to an hour or so

Hoping not to need it too often (I have an Altura Night Vision for colder weather), so don't want to spend too much (£30ish would be good). I like hi-viz from a safety PoV but not obligatory

Cheers

amaferanga

Veteran
For £30 your choice will be either a decent windproof that won't keep you dry for more than a few minutes, but should stop you getting too cold if you're only out in the rain for an hour or a boil in the bag waterproof.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
OK and if I up to £50? BitB is probably ok as this is really to afford me some protection if I get caught on my way home

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've just bought one of these.
Sizing is quite generous...I always buy XL or sometimes even 2XL, but wish I'd bought L in this.
Not tested it yet, but quality feels excellent.

OK and if I up to £50? BitB is probably ok as this is really to afford me some protection if I get caught on my way home

Unfortunately I still dont think it exists unless you want to increase it to £150; I certainly wouldn't. Anyway for most leisure rides I like to wear a montane feather lite (around £30), which highly breathable but not that waterproof. If I want to stay dry and warm I put a Gilet on top or below. My Endura pac lite (around £85) is highly waterproof but not as breathable but I occasionally wear that when I set of in heavy rain. For my old commute I liked to use Aldi jackets (circa £8) but I couldn't comment on their long term breathability/ waterproofness my commute was too short.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Having got utterly drenched the other night in my Altura Scirocco (ok for dry windy slighly cool days), I am looking for a jacket that will keep me dry(ish) for up to an hour or so

Hoping not to need it too often (I have an Altura Night Vision for colder weather), so don't want to spend too much (£30ish would be good). I like hi-viz from a safety PoV but not obligatory

Cheers
A bin bag and a hi-viz Gillette. Seriously I don't believe such a jacket exists for the price you mention. Maybe you could try covering your existing jacket in cooking oil (serious suggestion). I say this as I used to carry a picknik blanket and engine oil (aamongst many other things) in the boot of my car. Oil leaked, blanket was covered. I left it to dry out and then took it to the laundrette (not going to trash my own machine). The damn thing came out pretty much bone dry as water would not penetrate it. Stunk to high heavens though (hence me suggesting a more suitable oil)

colinr

I spent £50 on a lightweight waterproof and never use it (Altura Pocket Rocket).
If it's not raining much, better without it as I just cook. If it's raining a lot, I'm getting wet anyway.

However, I'll be selling it when I get around to it if you're interested. Size S or M, I can't remember right now.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, I think I'll need a large one!

I'll have a look around - there is an Endura one that scored well in a Bike Radar review

yello

The above comments are right about cheap waterproofs being boil-in-the-bag BUT a great deal depends on how energetically you cycle. IF you're not aiming for personal bests, and simply pootling (commute or otherwise) then it's possible to get something waterproof without breaking the bank. I can't recommend anything from current ranges sadly, the only cheap waterproofs I have are kept in the car as 'just in case' jackets - and I overheat in them simply walking!

Many years ago, the Altura Nevis was the darling of the cycling press for it's waterproof affordability (about £50 as I recall). I was lucky to buy one from that travelling cycling sale thing for around £35. It was genuinely waterproof and the huge armpit zips did okay at stopping you overheating... but then I took it easy on my commutes. If I upped the pace even slightly then I was sweating.

Edit: I see places advertising the Nevis at £30 - but none actually in stock. Maybe worth looking around?

Edit edit: Cycle Sense are stocking them at £27. That's neither a recommendation of the shop nor of the current Nevis! :smile:

waggoner

I bought an Endura Luminite Jacket,,waterproof and breathable. Certinly Waterproof, but boy does it make me sweat!!

yello

I bought an Endura Luminite Jacket,,waterproof and breathable. Certinly Waterproof, but boy does it make me sweat!!

It's not very breathable if it makes you sweat!

Re the Nevis, sorry it's not what I'd call 'lightweight' - not the 2004 model anyway. Perhaps the later ones are, dunno.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Not very lightweight but I have an Endura Gridlock rain jacket.Very waterproof and not too sweaty cost about £50.It has zips under the arms you can open for extra ventilation.

Top Bottom