Lightweight waterproof jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

festival

Über Member
Its impossible to get what you are asking for at £30 or even double.

Something like the endura helium for £95 is the answer to your question.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. Looks like I am going to get wet :laugh:

Fiona N

Veteran
I got a very waterproof, reasonably breathable and very lightweight jacket from Minx Girl - it's a Showers Pass (American company - Oregan I seem to recall, so they probably know a bit about bad weather) model in bright (but not dayglo) orange with plenty of reflective stuff, pit zips and a vented back. It was on sale at about £60. I didn't have huge expectations at this price but it's been an absolute winner that I've used (really used, not just taken along for the ride) on all my Audaxes this year (>10, 200-600km). Given that some Audaxes have been ridden in almost uninterrupted rain, you get the picture.

While it's not as breathable as my Gore jacket, the pit zips make a lot of difference for riding in warmer conditions. The big downside (and possibly the reason it's not £150) is that it has no liner at all so you need to use it with long-sleeved jerseys or wear arm warmers to ensure that you don't get wet fabric clinging to sweaty skin. The other thing is that it's not a 'race cut' - my Gore jacket is cut so short and streamlined that it doesn't really fit over my normal jerseys which extend beyond the hem and thus just conduct water under the jacket. So if I'm going out on a cold wet day, I wear the Gore jacket with appropriate thermals rather than a jersey but it's not the sort of thing I'd take in case of bad weather. For that, the Showers Pass jacket is much better as it fits over anything I'm likely to be wearing.

I'd definitely recommend Showers Pass gear - it's very nicely made and well thought out with some nice features (soft cuff and neck material, waterproof zips), and excellent even at full price (ca. £75 IIRC*)

* Sadly, I just checked the website and the jacket is now £100 - weak pound against the dollar, perhaps - a pity.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I just wear a altura cropton windproof, any more than that and i just bol in the bag that much i just get wetter on the inside.
This time of year unless it is rainign heavily i do not bother as it is warm enough .

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I have the Scirocco (ladies version of the Cropton) and it is not waterproof in the slightest unless just a few spots..hence the need for something else

Getting hot isn't an issue as cold is my biggest problem in the rain!

soulful dog

Veteran
Probably not much use to you but I picked up a Decathlon 'W*men Cycling' jacket from the sale rail about six months ago and I've been pretty pleased with it - the problem is, I've never seen the jacket on their website (I'd looked previously and didn't fancy any of them), so it's perhaps a discontinued line. Anyway, although it's basically a potential boil in the bag polyester jacket, it has an elastane strip under the arm and down the sides, plus a couple of vents on the back, and has the added bonus of having removable sleeves. I've not worn my Altura Nightvision since getting it. Might be worth a look if you have a Decathlon near you.....

Cheesehound

I've used Goretex pretty much since its inception - but not for cycling.

There's no doubt that it works, and no doubt that to get that degree of breathability you have to pay, whether that be for Goretex or any other competent fabric. BUT....it doesn't matter how breathable a fabric is, if you generate sufficient water vapour, you'll overcome its capabilities eventually.

And unfortunately, unless you are happy to only potter on your bike if it's raining, then you'll more than likely suffer the consequences.

I find that generally, serious cyclists tend to continually work at a higher rate than do most hillwalkers, hikers etc, who are thus able to benefit far more from garments made from breathable materials. ....................IMHO.

I'll now sit back and await the barrage from others who know otherwise!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for your help...

I did actually ask for a waterproof jacket not a breathable one - this is to keep me dry(ish) and stop me getting cold when drenched. I am unlikely to ever be out in hard rain for more than an hour absolute tops, my commute is 20-30 minutes depending on how wet it is and how easy I take it as a result.

Given that the cold is my main problem, not the wet, boil in the bag is not a massive concern as long as it doesn't come with parsley sauce :laugh:

I realise I cannot get a top notch breathable, all singing all dancing jacket but I MUST be able to get something reasonably waterproof (heavy showerproof) for under 50 quid that will stop me freezing due to being soaked...surely, surely...if not I'll go to Milletts for a kagoul :whistle:

The Endura laser looks ok, I am just not that keen on their stuff. I'll try and see it in the 'nylon' tomorrow!

albion

Guru
The pocket rocket looked by far the best bet.£37 at wiggle is you count the £5 off a £50 spend voucher.

Am tempted by it myself for autum/winter cycling.

yello

I'll now sit back and await the barrage from others who know otherwise!

Sorry to disappoint you... I agree entirely! ;)

Ime, a fully waterproof AND adequately breathable cycling jacket does not exist. That said, I haven't tried eVent fabric which I believe is about as close as I'd realistically get at the moment. It's as you say, all about the individuals work rate and cyclists will probably tend to work that bit harder than walkers etc, hence generate more 'steam'.

It kind of bugs me when you see a cheap cycling jacket advertised as completely waterproof and breathable. Yes, I'm sure the fabric is breathable to a degree (and obviously sufficiently to back the claim) but whether it's going to be sufficient for the individual's needs is another matter. It's unlikely to if the individual is a cyclist imho. As far as I'm aware, waterproof/breathable is a trade off. That is to say, if if lets moisture in one way then it will the other - to a degree. Put simply, increasing waterproof decreases breathable.

The best a cheap cycling jacket (like, say, pertex) can offer is water resistant and breathable. That's an honest claim.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I failed pitifully to find a waterproof jacket in NY - pretty much, unless you want a Giant, Trek or Specialized bike, shops in New York are rubbish!

I am erring towards the Endura Pacajak or the Castelli Squadra at around £35-40 - but I am skint so may need to wait, so there is time for more suggestions

Remember, keeping dry enough to stay warm for around 30 minutes and packability are the main criteria. Don't mind if a bit boil in the bag and not especially breathable. Don't really was sticky lining (like the Endura laser) as is uncomfortable against sweaty skin! xx(

zexel

Veteran
Have you had a look at 'cycle-clothing'? (Link to jackets)

Quote for one of their jackets, ...Certified breathability and water resistance is provided by DuPont® a world leader in fabric coating technology..."

Excellent company to deal with, I have ordered three sizes from them and send two back, no problem with refunds.

Top Bottom