lightweight wheels vs bladed spokes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
would i even notice the difference? i have some superstar wheels circa under 1500g but narrow rims so the tyres bulge over the rim versus some rs11s, 400 g heavier but a wider rim and bladed spokes

Attachments

• IMG_20170528_122554608[1].jpg
    IMG_20170528_122554608[1].jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 5
  • rs 11  deda.jpg
    rs 11 deda.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 5

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Which do you prefer comfort or speed? :smile:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

According to GCN rotational weight makes little difference so aero for me
internal rim width 14 for superstar , 17 for rs 11s

si_c

Guru
You're not really comparing like for like, narrow lightweight rims vs wider all purpose rims. Bladed spokes will ride very similarly to round spokes albeit with a very small aero advantage. For the superstar wheels I'm not sure I'd want to use wider than a 25mm tire on a 14mm rim width - as you say the tire will balloon out and that will affect how you feel cornering.

A 17mm internal rim width is likely to ride much better with wider tires - you need to decide what your preference is comfort or weight. Of course you could be making an argument for a brand new lightweight wheelset with a wider rim.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

You're not really comparing like for like, narrow lightweight rims vs wider all purpose rims. Bladed spokes will ride very similarly to round spokes albeit with a very small aero advantage. For the superstar wheels I'm not sure I'd want to use wider than a 25mm tire on a 14mm rim width - as you say the tire will balloon out and that will affect how you feel cornering.

A 17mm internal rim width is likely to ride much better with wider tires - you need to decide what your preference is comfort or weight. Of course you could be making an argument for a brand new lightweight wheelset with a wider rim.
aint going to happen :sad:

So im best to go back to 23s i guess on the lighter wheels and stick the 25s on the rs 11s ?

Top Bottom