Limits Power Meters. Thoughts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cambie

Who's going to buy these new Limits Power Meters? I nearly ordered via the crowd funding site but I think I'll wait until the Mk2 comes out with L and R meters.

What does everyone think of them?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Interesting. I don't actually want or need a power meter, but I do love gadgets. Not sure my love of gadgets is quite enough in this case.

I note that the initial release provides just one meter for one pedal (and multiplies by 2) and subsequent releases will measure both pedals independently. I note also that it fits between the pedal and the crank so will throw one pedal outboard a bit (looks like 5-10mm from the pic). I wonder if having one pedal a bit outboard would be noticeable.

step-2.jpg

BigCoops

According to the crowd funding page, it'll come with a dummy spacer for the other crank arm to even up the pedals.:smile:

Looks good to be honest, I'm in the same boat, don't need but will buy just for the gadget if it's a reasonable price. :biggrin:

jiberjaber

Veteran
Given a couple of pedal washers can have a significant effect on the plane of knee movement, I am surprised with how much this will offset the pedal. Its the only thing that stopped me jumping in to get one (that and the timeline). I think I will wait for the stick-on power meter.

Last edited:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Good little page written by the excellent DC Rainmaker. In particular the bit about the proposed timeline. I somehow doubt the full public release will hit the Jan 2016 target.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/limits-power-meter.html
Bumpy bump.

It's kicked off! DC Rainmaker called Limits out last month as it appears they've been a bit shifty with their advertising, particularly on the maturity of the product. Limits responded by sending DC a pseudo-legal cease-and-desist, which hasn't gone down well. DC posted Limits' statement as demanded by them, but with a stinging commentary attached. Linky here.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/11/limits-responds-still.html

Some people have accused DC of letting his ego get ahead of him, but I don't have a problem with his criticism of Limits. I'm all for new and innovative entrants into the power meter market, but it's not a place for amateurs. Believing you can market your way out of trouble will just lead to .... errrrrr .... trouble.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
More bump...

More a warning for the unwary. All evidence suggests that DC Rainmaker was spot on about delivery delays. Limits seem to be living in a strange parallel world of unrelenting progress, while completely failing to demonstrate a working product to a neutral observer.

They did a demo at an event for the team they're sponsoring, but the demo bike was attached to a Kickr and they failed to point out the stages crank as well, both of which could have been paired to the head unit instead of the limits unit.

The investors are revolting on their Facebook page. If you haven't invested and are stuck for entertainment for an hour or so, I'd recommend the comments. If you were thinking of investing then caveat emptor.

Citius

Powertap P1 pedals are now a better option anway - no q-factor issues. Limits seems a bit superflous now...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Powertap P1 pedals are now a better option anway - no q-factor issues. Limits seems a bit superflous now...
I believe all the established players have dropped their prices significantly over the past year and there are so many new options coming on to the market that I'd agree Limits have probably missed the boat, even without the soap opera.

tatr

Looks like these have actually started shipping - has anyone got one?

I quite like the idea of a power meter that's easy to fit to a rented bike when traveling, plus this should work with mountain bike style pedals which sounds good.

mattobrien

Guru

I quite like the idea of a power meter that's easy to fit to a rented bike when traveling, plus this should work with mountain bike style pedals which sounds good.
I think the the phrase caveat emptor would apply to Limits. Have a read of the comments on their FB page about poor accuracy, poor battery life and people not receiving them.

That said and I may be very wrong here, but I think @HLaB may have one (well judging from his Strava rides referencing limits, I think he might)

Me, I'm looking at getting a stages...

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

I occasionally look in on the project and I think it's still a soap opera. They've stopped updating/responding on FB and the updates on the indiegogo page are erratic. Comments on both are well worth a read.

Good or bad, you're giving up any form of consumer protection as Limits are still providing the units as a "perk" in exchange for your gift of money to them, rather than selling them. There are quite a few investors who have tried and failed to get their money back directly or via indiegogo.

@HLaB does have a unit and from what I remember he seemed pretty happy with it. But, as @mattobrien says, buyer beware.

I bought a limits power meter off e-bay cheap, I wish I hadn't. Its power readings are all over the place. I then bought a Powertap C1 chainring powermeter,( got a 50% discount) its conistent and very happy with it. I put both on the same bike with 2 headunits ( a garmin 800 and a garmin 1000) the limits readings were 50% higher. Sometimes I can be lucky and get a resonable looking reading out of them but next minute it goes crazy. I find it is effected by temperature terribly and needs re-calibrating when out on a ride a lot. I have a decent tourque wrench and find I needed to re-torque it ( usually loosen it not tighten it) after every ride to get a ok reading. The batteries last a couple of rides if I'm lucky. So I have taken if off put it back in the box and will no doubt throw it on e-bay some time. Complete waste of money IMO. For my MTB I have ordered a Stages Carbon BB30 powermeter.

Top Bottom