Linear Pull V-Brake Set Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Has anyone else ever struggled to get this type of brake to sit correctly on the rims?

I struggle to get the brake pads to be 100%, they are either too tight so the front wheel doesn't spin freely, or they are so tight (so they actually work) that the wheel is jammed and isn't freely moving....meaning a squeal or a tough ride!

I followed this set up which is pretty good, however I struggle at the 9:48 stage, actually tightening the cable through the screw.

View: https://youtu.be/XMa9UqY9obk

Has anyone got a tried and tested way of doing this? I feel like I should pull the cable to the max then try to adjust somehow/somewhere!

Attachments

• IMG_3587.jpeg
    IMG_3587.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.52.05.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.52.05.png
    322.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.51.51.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-04 at 11.51.51.png
    189 KB · Views: 18

weareHKR

The spacers are not in the correct order!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Your cable looks a bit mangled, whilst whilst it won't affect you right now, it will in the future. Once you have the spacers right, if you are really struggling then wind the adjuster out a few turns on your brake lever, clamp the cable with the pads firm against the rim and then wind the adjuster back in to create some travel.

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

Big John

Guru
Can't add much to what's already been said other than there are v brakes and there are good v brakes. Some don't have the little screw adjusters so balancing the left and right brake blocks is a bugger to do. If you follow what Milkfloat says (allow yourself some adjustment at the lever) and get the spacers right (as per weareHKR) you should be fine. And get the cable changed 😉

figbat

Slippery scientist
Is this just a simple case of buying new Inner steel cable and not the outer housing?

Like this: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...8QmS0CEso6nKT-Ubh_4aArikEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Assuming your outers are in good nick and you have road brake levers then yes. You'll need something to neatly cut them after fitting - a pair of wire cutters or pliers won't usually do a good job. I use a Dremel cutting disc and wrap a little tape around the cable to stop it unwinding.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

In fact, could this be an ideal time to make a full brake system upgrade ?

figbat

Slippery scientist
It depends what you want from an "upgrade". V-brakes generally work pretty well and aside from a little weight saving I can't imagine one type will be significantly better than another - you can usually make such improvements just by changing the pads. The natural 'upgrade' from there is discs, but that is not a cheap or easy prospect. I'd spend a little time getting those ones set up properly and see how you feel about them then.

Sorry, I forgot, the proper answer is that you need a new bike. ;) But then you always needs a new bike, even after you just got a new bike.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Assuming your outers are in good nick and you have road brake levers then yes.
Apologies for being slightly pedantic, but if the outers and fine (although the cover bit for the noodle has seen better days) then it yes, just a new inner is needed, lever agnostic.
Moreover, if the OP has road levers (by which I'm referring to levers for drop bars) then they shouldn't have V brakes. You can just about make mini V's work with drop bar levers, but its a sub-optimal solution.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The spacers go in 2 pairs, one each convex and concave mated together, whether you have the thicker pair behind the pad and the thinner pair outside or vice-versa depends on rim width but they should fit together as in @weareHKR 's picture

figbat

Slippery scientist
...the OP has road levers (by which I'm referring to levers for drop bars) then they shouldn't have V brakes. You can just about make mini V's work with drop bar levers, but its a sub-optimal solution.
Good point... what he said! I guess the point I was failing to make is that the nipple has to match your lever. Some inners are double-ended with a different nipple at either end and you just cut off the one you don't need, but I prefer a single-nippled inner with the right one as the free end is usually very neat and easy to thread through the outer.

Top Bottom