Linux Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Do you mean Mint is not starting up from the DVD? Is it booting up Windows?
Have you modified your BIOS to boot from your disk drive first?
Does you laptop have BIOS or NetBEUI? I found Linux harder to install on computers with NetBEUI.
I doubt it's a corrupt disk, but one thing you can try is go to WH Smiths and buy one of those Linux magazines. They usually have a Linux installation disk. If you PC does not boot up Linux from the disk, then it is probably your BIOS or NetBEUI settings.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
If you've disabled secure boot, or moved it down the boot options, your laptop should boot up from whatever it can find in the other memory devices.
Another thing you can try if you have a memory stick is to download linux to it and run your laptop off that. You can program Linux to your memory stick from windows once you downloaded the right software. You can also load linux to an SD memory card instead of a memory stick if you have a card reader. Once you have the laptop loading off your memory stick, you quite often have the option of installing it on your hard drive (or you may prefer to keep running it off your memory stick). Puppy is a good version of Linux for loading off memory sticks.
Whether you use a memory stick, SD card or DVD, you will have to dick around with your BIOS or NetBEUI in order to get your laptop to boot off these devices before looking at its hard disk.

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Do you mean Mint is not starting up from the DVD? Is it booting up Windows?
Have you modified your BIOS to boot from your disk drive first?
Does you laptop have BIOS or NetBEUI? I found Linux harder to install on computers with NetBEUI.
I doubt it's a corrupt disk, but one thing you can try is go to WH Smiths and buy one of those Linux magazines. They usually have a Linux installation disk. If you PC does not boot up Linux from the disk, then it is probably your BIOS or NetBEUI settings.
Linux will run from the DVD, but the installation onto the HD fails because grub won't load though it is loading ok before I get to that bit. The laptop does have BIOS and obviously I have set it to load from the DVD first. I will copy it to a USB stick and try that.

D

Deleted member 1258

Done it!

Got a replacement Mint DVD and it loaded ok. Too early to say how good it is, but so far I like it. If it runs well for a couple of months I will ditch Windows off the main PC and become a fully fledged Linux bore.

Welcome to the club, I'm on Ubuntu.

Top Bottom