Lionel Messi - the greatest player who ever lived?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
What a player that man is! He's got a locker full of talent, ability, flair, skill, you name all that's good and he has it in abundance. Seasoned football spectators and reporters are as one when they reckon if he isn't already the greatest player that's ever played, then in one or two years time, the debate will be over and he will be hailed as that. Scintillating player to watch and he's just sublime.

wilko

Veteran
I would agree with that. He just ripped Arsenal to shreds. What a gifted player he is and at only 22 years old I would think there is more to come. People say Man Utd are a one player team with Rooney, you could argue the same applies to Barca.

redjedi

Über Member
I think it's a bit early to say that about him. He is a class player and easily the best player around at the moment, but I'll wait for a few more years before I label him the best ever.
A couple seasons ago Ronaldo was being hailed as the best player ever, but not anymore.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Well I think he will improve, he doesn't have that playboy look about him that will attract all the wrong people, he looks like he just loves to play. His left foot is just sublime, what I can`t get is the fact that a few weeks ago, Rooney was being compared with him!! Rooneys good but Messi is in another league.

johnnyh

Veteran
Messi is a talent, great technique and superb balance.

Messi - 5ft 7
Pele - 5ft 8
Best - 5 ft 9

got to be something in a low center of gravity! :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Edited for you :smile:

johnnyh said:

Zola - 5 ft 5
Messi - 5ft 7
Pele - 5ft 8
Best - 5 ft 9

got to be something in a low center of gravity! :biggrin:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
It's true, as a pure striker he's in the 'special' class that Rooney doesn't quite make, along with the likes of Pele & Best. But (I don't know Messi that well) what always impresses me about Rooney is his ball control, vision and work rate. His first touch is almost always perfect, some of his passes are just astonishing...and I can't think of another striker who works so hard for the team.

Greedo

wilko said:
I would agree with that. He just ripped Arsenal to shreds. What a gifted player he is and at only 22 years old I would think there is more to come. People say Man Utd are a one player team with Rooney, you could argue the same applies to Barca.

I hope that's a joke!!

Barca have quality all over the pitch and always have. Messi is just an outstanding player but Barca are by no means a one man team. The team is full of international players. If you watch them regulary you will see that.

MrRidley

johnnyh said:

Messi - 5ft 7
Pele - 5ft 8
Best - 5 ft 9
Jimmy Johnstone - 5ft 6 THE greatest ever player

got to be something in a low center of gravity! ;)

Another edit

mangaman

Greedo said:
I hope that's a joke!!

Barca have quality all over the pitch and always have. Messi is just an outstanding player but Barca are by no means a one man team. The team is full of international players. If you watch them regulary you will see that.

I agree - they have a fantastic team all over the pitch.

And they're owned by the fans.

And they refused to have shirt sponsorship until 2006, when they agreed a deal with Unicef where Unicef is displayed on the shirts and Barcelona pay them 1.5 million euros a year!

And last night 9 of the 18 in their squad came through their youth system, as did Fabregas and Merida (Arsenal players of course) and Puyol and Pique who were suspended and would have played.

What's not to like? ;)

MrGrumpy said:
Well I think he will improve, he doesn't have that playboy look about him that will attract all the wrong people, he looks like he just loves to play. His left foot is just sublime, what I can`t get is the fact that a few weeks ago, Rooney was being compared with him!! Rooneys good but Messi is in another league.

Yebbut, his right foot is ridiculous! ;)

No doubting is skill and ability, though; he's a pleasure to watch, as are Barcelona!

wilko

Veteran
Greedo said:
I hope that's a joke!!

No joke, merely my opinion. ;)

Top Bottom