Lithotripsy Today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Well this is a new one for me, in to get my latest kidney stone removed. This time I'm getting lithotripsy in about an hour's time. At least no anaesthetic and all done on the outside. I've been told to drink three litres of water a day to avoid any further stones. I will stick to this I think. Not sure what to expect, anybody had this done?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Have heard of it, but the hospital that looks after mine doesn't do it. - Or at least they didn't when one of mine last went walkabout.

Around 1990 I had a stone broken up by the hospital local to where I lived at the time. I don't know what technique they used, but it was like p'ing glass for a couple of days.

Would be interested to hear how you go on, as a stent I had fitted to aid a stone going walkabout had to be removed as it was so painful.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Years ago I was working one weekend, actually we were playing Doom, but kinda working a bit too. Three of us in the office and just outta the blue a guy just starts screaming in pain. The guy falls to the floor in the fetal position.

Ambulance came etc.

We found out it was kidney stones. Since then I've made dm sure o drink plenty water.

I am old...

I remember scanning a patient with a calculus, and the urologist remarked to my consultant that there was a new-fangled machine that broke up stones

Our consultant provided him with a hammer!

Medics sense of humour

For the feminists...

Allegedly a renal stone is the nearest that a fella will ever come to childbirth

I expect the level of pain varies from woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy

Ditto from kidney stone to kidney stone

Can't really generalise about pain and perception thereof :smile:

Certainly the case some will stoically accept a level of pain that will leave another writhing in agony and demanding pain killers

It is similar to "Trolley Syndrome"

A patient will walk into the hospital yet once on a trolley become incapable of any movement, yet someone else brought in by ambulance will manage to move

Top Bottom