Litter in Countryside. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
There is always McDonald's slime packaging in these countryside dumps... Councils should charge McDonald's for A) Welcoming these scum bags and B) cleaning up of the countryside...

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I regularly litter pick round a local lake. People come up to me and say "can you take this" and when I tell them to take it home look at me as if I've two heads. I don't get paid for this you know (well the ice cream man offers a free ice cream). Many many people just expect others to deal with their crap.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
With large items its the cost of getting rid of them. If you don't drive its £30.00 for one large item to be taken by the council and its a bit less from a man in a van. People don't want to pay anything, so just dump it at night.
With general littering its laziness, and sticking two fingers up, general couldn't care less attitude etc. The councils also need more bins outside and to empty household bins more as well. Lack of emptying causes littering as well as rats etc.The councils are partly to blame for increased fly tipping.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
With large items its the cost of getting rid of them. If you don't drive its £30.00 for one large item to be taken by the council and its a bit less from a man in a van. People don't want to pay anything, so just dump it at night.
With general littering its laziness, and sticking two fingers up, general couldn't care less attitude etc. The councils also need more bins outside and to empty household bins more as well. Lack of emptying causes littering as well as rats etc.The councils are partly to blame for increased fly tipping.
Couldn't disagree more....

It's always cost to get rid of large items, unless you own a large vehicle.

Pay up scumbags or drive to the local tip. There is no excuse for dumping anything in the countryside. Not least your McDonald's McShite burger packaging....

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Couldn't disagree more....

It's always cost to get rid of large items, unless you own a large vehicle.

Pay up scumbags or drive to the local tip. There is no excuse for dumping anything in the countryside. Not least your McDonald's McShite burger packaging....
The cost has never been as much as it is now and people who cant afford it will not pay full stop.
I've never dumped anything I will add, I pay or recycle it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We spent 3 weeks in Vancouver recently. There is no litter (barring Downtown Eastside aka Skid Row). No litter. Nothing. Zilch

City beaches are packed with people every day, at the end of the day everybody takes their rubbish away.
People in Vancouver are renowned for their politeness and civility.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The cost has never been as much as it is now and people who cant afford it will not pay full stop.
I've never dumped anything I will add, I pay or recycle it.
If they can dump their items out in the countryside, why can't they dump it at a tip? My local tip it costs nothing for most things. Other charges are £4 a car tyre. They don't charge for fridges, freezers, cookers, mattresses etc. Also, my local council charge £15.75 to collect anything that can be lifted by two people and £6.50 for subsequent items. You pay more when you buy a new fridge, freezer, cooker from a retailer for them to take it away when they deliver the new one!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
If they can dump their items out in the countryside, why can't they dump it at a tip? My local tip it costs nothing for most things. Other charges are £4 a car tyre. They don't charge for fridges, freezers, cookers, mattresses etc. Also, my local council charge £15.75 to collect anything that can be lifted by two people and £6.50 for subsequent items. You pay more when you buy a new fridge, freezer, cooker from a retailer for them to take it away when they deliver the new one!
Ask them?

I worked in a school for many years and saw this attitude as it formed

Basically it is "why should I" - i.e I will just do what I want and I don't care what anyone else thinks - a lot actually thought this was a good character point:eek:

There is also the "what you gonna do about it?" concept
and the "they can;t do anything about it" and the "the can't prove it" version

Generally the idea of having any responsibility to go along with their precious "rights" is not acceptable to a lot of people - they only take the bits of modern society that they want - and ignore the rest

SO they don;t want old rubbish McBurgers in their car as it makes it smelly and messy so just lob it out of the window
Even if they have the responsibility to try to put it into the bin at the fast food place - if the bin is full they won't go to the other one 1 FOOT AWAY but just push it into the full one then let go and it drops onto the floor

Weird thing - at the local airport there is a place you can go to watch the planes land and take off
before the first lockdown they put some bins in - then during lockdown the bins were not being emptied - and a load of rubbish built up around them
eventually they just took the bins away - they amount of rubbish has reduced dramatically
people are just weird

Gillstay

Über Member
I worked in a school for many years and saw this attitude as it formed

Basically it is "why should I" - i.e I will just do what I want and I don't care what anyone else thinks - a lot actually thought this was a good character point:eek:

There is also the "what you gonna do about it?" concept
and the "they can;t do anything about it" and the "the can't prove it" version

Generally the idea of having any responsibility to go along with their precious "rights" is not acceptable to a lot of people - they only take the bits of modern society that they want - and ignore the rest

SO they don;t want old rubbish McBurgers in their car as it makes it smelly and messy so just lob it out of the window
Even if they have the responsibility to try to put it into the bin at the fast food place - if the bin is full they won't go to the other one 1 FOOT AWAY but just push it into the full one then let go and it drops onto the floor

Weird thing - at the local airport there is a place you can go to watch the planes land and take off
before the first lockdown they put some bins in - then during lockdown the bins were not being emptied - and a load of rubbish built up around them
eventually they just took the bins away - they amount of rubbish has reduced dramatically
people are just weird
No I think its culture. There are many countries where this does not happen. look at Switzerland, they think the Germans are terrible ! They should be glad we are not their neighbours. :laugh: But then they do not get overly offended if you point out they have dropped litter or have left their car running for no reason.

No I think its culture. There are many countries where this does not happen. look at Switzerland, they think the Germans are terrible ! They should be glad we are not their neighbours. :laugh: But then they do not get overly offended if you point out they have dropped litter or have left their car running for no reason.
ACtually we are saying the same thing - the people I was talking about are reacting to their culture - mostly from their upbringing and parenting
They are not brought up - by parents and peer groups etc - to respect anything other than 'their rights' and people they are scared of
As a teacher in a rough secondary school , things started to get better when the discipline system was changed so that even small (ish) transgressions were jumped on and a clear system of repercussions was put in place and enforced at all times
But who will enforce anti littering laws with an over stretched Police and an historic attitude that "they can;t get you"

Some people don't see it as their responsibility to dispose of litter responsibly. They think it's the job of the local council to pick it up after them.
Here in Oz cost cutting local councils have removed bins from parks replacing them with little signs saying "please take your rubbish home" Doesn't work very well.

classic33

Leg End Member
People not wanting to pay for disposal and getting it done on the cheap, or free, have lead to the explosion in fly tipping.
I don't drive and have managed to get larger items to the recycling centres. Including other peoples large items, done for fun.

Folk don't like having to wait in a queue just to dump their rubbish.

Top Bottom