Litter in Countryside. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Some people don't see it as their responsibility to dispose of litter responsibly. They think it's the job of the local council to pick it up after them.
Perhaps a public flogging would serve as a handy reminder of their personal responsibilities? Or am I being old fashioned?

ianbarton

Veteran
I live in the countryside. We have residents litter picks a couple of times a year. The worst spots are laybys and road junctions. Wherever people stop they just chuck litter out of the car. Almost all of it is fast food/cups containers. Fast food containers should have a code you have to scan that collects your phone number. Ideally, offenders would have their cars crushed preferably with them in the vehicle.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
For sometime I've said that McBurger Fried King should be fined for any of their non- compostable packaging being dumped. That maybe they'll look at using more environmentally friendly packaging
I reckon there must be a fairly easy way given the technology we have now to tag each item of packaging in a takeaway with car reg number or similar so that the litter could be traced back to the person who bought from the shop. Yes, it'd involve loads of work to chase it up but if you did it a few times and hammered them with a punishment they might think twice.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I reckon there must be a fairly easy way given the technology we have now to tag each item of packaging in a takeaway with car reg number or similar so that the litter could be traced back to the person who bought from the shop. Yes, it'd involve loads of work to chase it up but if you did it a few times and hammered them with a punishment they might think twice.

Sadly, or as long as there is little chance of being caught, or, if caught, little chance of a significant penalty, then, sadly, it is a lost cause IMHO.

If caught the people should have their vehicle crushed and be made to walk home .
There has been a lot of it here, it is mainly dumped in the entrances to farmers fields. A lot of it seems to be garden waste , tree cuttings and garden clearing . There was an old wooden garden shed a few months back .
I have picked up a child's electric pedal car and an old discarded Dawes Red Feather from some of the fly tipping .

Gillstay

Über Member
Met two lads who were caught littering somewhere north of Brighton and had to do litter picking for a week with the council. They both said they had not dropped any since and got into hassle for telling others off for doing it. Very nicely they both got jobs with the same council from having been seen to be hard working and having a good attitude.

carpiste

Guru
It's a blight, but certainly not restricted to our country.
Cycling in Spain you come across the very same problem.
View attachment 617267
I`ve fished all over the World and apart from India, which is the worst, Spain came a close second. I have fished the River Ebro in the north several times at a place called Mequinenza. There was a spot by the river that looked liked a third World country tip where children are seen scavenging for bits and pieces. I reported it locally but nada, nada was done. I don`t go there now.

• Sad
Reactions: C R

PK99

Legendary Member
We spent 3 weeks in Vancouver recently. There is no litter (barring Downtown Eastside aka Skid Row). No litter. Nothing. Zilch

City beaches are packed with people every day, at the end of the day everybody takes their rubbish away.

carpiste

Guru
You would think that, with the environment so high on everyone`s agenda, that they would bring back the old fashioned tv info bulletins. I remember the "keep Britain tidy" slogan. It was everywhere when I was a kid. No doubt they would say we shouldn`t go down the route of brainwashing our kids! Well I was brainwashed and it didn`t do me any harm and I don`t ever drop litter!
Oh and I don`t do Mcfastfood or choccy bars etc. which helps :okay:

Top Bottom