Litter in Countryside. Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its is reflection of society rather than the individual. Scum as some call it are in every country but not every country does not have the same issue. Do we provide bins at the right locations such as lay-bys and junctions so people do know to expect a bin down the road. Do we have enforcement for littering. Do we run targeted campaigns. All I see is a number to report tipping. If the nation introduces a yearly competition for council for cleanliness I am sure some will do better. Hold your council to account.

Here is an example. Paris metro stations reek of urine smell. We don't have this in the Tube. They neglected it and we did not.

Last edited:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Its is reflection of society rather than the individual. Scum as some call it are in every country but not every country does not have the same issue. Do we provide bins at the right locations such as lay-bys and junctions so people do know to expect a bin down the road. Do we have enforcement for littering. Do we run targeted campaigns. All I see a number to report tipping. If the nation introduces a yearly competition for council for cleanliness I am sure some will do better. Hold your council to account.

Here is an example. Paris metro stations reek of urine smell. We don't have this in the Tube. They neglected it and we did not.
My parents ran a targeted ad campaign on me as a kid. They told me to put my rubbish in my pocket until i got to a bin or i got home. Didn't cost the tax payer a penny...

My parents ran a targeted ad campaign on me as a kid. They told me to put my rubbish in my pocket until i got to a bin or i got home. Didn't cost the tax payer a penny...
The assumption here is that your taxes are efficiently used and Councils are well run. And some have good parents.

Maybe, but I really am struggling with the notion that the councils are responsible for people chucking their fast food packaging into a bush...
Its no different to some people leaving renovation waste on community land next to their property. If the council does not act, very soon, others forget what their parents taught them. I have been to Oz and impressed with councils and their strict conditions and standards. As I said scums are everywhere and we have our share. So why you think our Tube does not reek of urine? Are Tube users the product of good parents?

I have occaisionally reported fly tipping - but not as often as I should

If we all report it then that will help

As far as bins are concerned - they work but cost money - and if they get full people seem to think that they are 'entitled' to dump their rubbish there and just dump it by the side
If you are lucky

There is a long path here that runs along the side of the Mersey. There seems to be a new scheme where bright orange bin bags are hung over fence posts every 100 yards or so
They seem to be emptied frequently and have made a big difference
I think that maybe they are replaced by volunteers - although I'm not sure - they certainly seem to have an arrangement where they dump the full ones - tied up - in a pile at the end of the path

Alex321

Veteran
I see it all the time, round here, I have reported fly tipping several times, but that just means somebody cleans it up for the inconsiderate morons who dumped it.
Some go to a lot of trouble to dump stuff, it would be far easier to take it to the official dump in a lot of cases.

It would. I never understood why people would take the trouble to drive into the country to dump stuff in a layby, when it would have been easier to drive to the local recycling centre and drop it off there. I can only thnk that those people for some reason just aren't aware of the recyclng centres.

You would think that, with the environment so high on everyone`s agenda, that they would bring back the old fashioned tv info bulletins. I remember the "keep Britain tidy" slogan. It was everywhere when I was a kid. No doubt they would say we shouldn`t go down the route of brainwashing our kids! Well I was brainwashed and it didn`t do me any harm and I don`t ever drop litter!
Oh and I don`t do Mcfastfood or choccy bars etc. which helps :okay:

It isn't "brainwashing" to teach people to tidy up after themselves. I don't think you would find anybody who thinks we shouldn't be teaching that message, it is just apathy that means it isn't getting taught.

With large items its the cost of getting rid of them. If you don't drive its £30.00 for one large item to be taken by the council and its a bit less from a man in a van. People don't want to pay anything, so just dump it at night.
I can sort of understand that if they just dump it within carrying distance of home. But you find these things dumped in places they have to0 drive to reach. That isn't cost (since the recycling centres are generally free for domestic users).

And here it is £20 for up to 3 bulky items for council collection if you don't drive.

With general littering its laziness, and sticking two fingers up, general couldn't care less attitude etc. The councils also need more bins outside and to empty household bins more as well. Lack of emptying causes littering as well as rats etc. The councils are partly to blame for increased fly tipping.
I don't agree here, not many households generate more general rubbish than the council will collect.

But I must say, we moved house last year - we had been just outside Merthyr Tydfil for 20 years, then lived in Abercynon for 6 months while looking for a new house, and now live in the Vale of Glamorgan, a much more affluent area than either of those. It is one of the things I have really noticed, just how much less fly tipping and general littering there is round here than there was in the Valleys.

We have the same problem here with the beaches in Summer. A large group arrives at the beach, has a picnic and then departs leaving all their detritus. Sometimes even leaving inflatable toys or camp chairs behind.
Why should they care? They are only at the beach for the day. Its someone else's problem now....

I sometimes think that the council should just leave the beach untouched (and litter strewn) day after day, until the message finally gets home to "the public"......

Chief Broom

Veteran
Some instances living next to Scotlands tourist route 'NC500....

I decide to go fishing of the rocks and to my disgust discover numerous empty beer cans and smashed bottles. Baited hooks with yards of line have been strewn around which will kill any bird that swallows one

I have to avoid a favourite walk because the risk of stepping in human excrement is too likely

Road verges outside of most villages are covered in debris/bottles etc

Just a few examples but its the same attitude. Ive pondered a long time why people are doing this and am at a loss. Shouldnt schools be giving life lessons on consideration/empathy etc it doesnt seem to feature in any curriculum at the moment. Is society spiritually bankrupt and the 'gratification' generation is all there is? These are my musings on the problem if anyone has an answer or understands the psychology of it i would like to hear.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I do carry a rubbish bag in my saddlebag if I see a pile of cans, burger wrappers etc but it is depressing knowing the people who chucked it never gave it a thought.

Some instances living next to Scotlands tourist route 'NC500....

I decide to go fishing of the rocks and to my disgust discover numerous empty beer cans and smashed bottles. Baited hooks with yards of line have been strewn around which will kill any bird that swallows one

I have to avoid a favourite walk because the risk of stepping in human excrement is too likely

Road verges outside of most villages are covered in debris/bottles etc
Ah, the NC500. Now there's a "brilliant marketing idea" that has badly backfired :sad:

PK99

Legendary Member
It is disgusting to see the aftermath left after a pop concert! I can remember coming back from London on a train and seeing the mess at Reading . It looked more like a rubbish tip ! :ohmy:

I cycled over Epsom Downs the day after the Derby one year...

1636629150085.png

• Sad
Reactions: C R

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I do think individuals should be responsible for disposing of their litter correctly, however, councils and other Organisations should play their part. For example, in the town, near where I live, there is a weekly market. The mess afterwards is disgraceful, and is just left to blow away in the wind. When visiting Spain and Portugal, where markets are even more common, I noticed that council employs people to clean up during and immediately after the market.

Alex321

Veteran
I do think individuals should be responsible for disposing of their litter correctly, however, councils and other Organisations should play their part. For example, in the town, near where I live, there is a weekly market. The mess afterwards is disgraceful, and is just left to blow away in the wind. When visiting Spain and Portugal, where markets are even more common, I noticed that council employs people to clean up during and immediately after the market.
I would imagine that part of the stallholder fee in such markets is dedicated to the cleaning and maintenance staff required for that job.

Not difficult, and I agree that should be more common in this country for such events.

Top Bottom