Littering Cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to live in Conwy and their system had several different containers for recycling - from a large bag and create down to a small bag for batteries
The lorries came round every 2 weeks and each container was emptied into a separate part of the lorry - which was specially designed for it
Here we just have one big wheelie bin for all the recycling

anecdotal report suggested that the COnwy system was "too complicated"** for some people so reduced the amount people recycled - but it seemed better to me - and you could lob any plastic into the container for it

**couldn;t be bothered more likely

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
One problem is lack of national consistency. Different authorities have different rules, which makes it difficult for information to be spread nationally. We Brits have a talent for making a confusing buggers muddle of contradictory rules for everything.

My local authority says something vague like "most household plastics". Mind you there is a mega incinerator in the authority so it wouldn't surprise me if rather a lot of it ends up there.

^
^
This. We don't even have an agreed colour for the different bins, let alone what goes in them!

^
^
This. We don't even have an agreed colour for the different bins, let alone what goes in them!

Yup!

I have Green for recycling, Black for General and an optional Brown for Garden.

Parents have Green for General, Black for Garden, then 2 more (Blue and another colour I forget) for recyling.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have 4:
Plastic and metal
Paper and card
General landfill
A smaller caddy for food waste
I don’t bother paying for the extra garden waste wheelie (grass clipping just go in a bin bag in general, if more waste, occasionally would take to tip, I’m not much of a gardener :laugh: )

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I did a bit more days runs from a fixed base I often had a can of beer and a banana among other eatables. After the contents had been eaten and the empties back in my saddlebag the bike felt so much lighter. Had a laugh at myself tho’ as I was still carrying the same weight only now most of it was inside me.

newts

Veteran
The 2 year figure quoted for a banana skin to decompose would be the same for any organic skins/peel in landfill due to it being too dry for rapid composting.
Is there a quantifiable carbon footprint for all the cyclists fruits skins that have returned home & then been transfered to landfill via lorry?

AT least in Liverpol (just a few miles from here) the general waste bin is obvious

bright purple

$deity knows why but it has become a source of pride
no - not Pride - just pride

Tom B

Guru
Have you never heard of musadine sometimes called bananarine?
In a word... Nope.
AT least in Liverpol (just a few miles from here) the general waste bin is obvious

bright purple

$deity knows why but it has become a source of pride
no - not Pride - just pride

Salford have all grey bins and coloured lids.

Always seemed a more sensible solution. They keep a stock of one bin and when they deliver them they just put an appropriate lid on.

I think bins are an example of why the LA model doesn't work.

Where I live we have 3 different LA in about a 2mile radius. Non of the bin colours are the same. None of the collection regimes are the same and even bin sizes are different. One doesn't collect green waste in the winter and charges extra for it.

The one that baffles me is Bolton Council. In an effort to save money and increase recycling they decided to give everyone a new small bin a cost £tons (not to mention the waste of all the old bins) and empty the new small bins once a fortnight. Neighbours Bury council decided to keep the big bins and save £££ and empty them every three weeks. It's a hot topic locally but a Bury resident gets 4100ltrs removed annually and Bolton about 3'600. Both residents hate the option and covert the others solution.

The three local authorities has different attitudes to road surfacing too.

Last edited:
Rubbish needs to be organized for the whole country. At present each authority does it differently. Their recycling plants cope with different materials and items.
I did have a great tour of the local recycling place - everyone should do it. They'll tell you what you can and can't put in what bin.

Actually this should be on the national curriculum. Useful things.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Rubbish needs to be organized for the whole country. At present each authority does it differently. Their recycling plants cope with different materials and items.
The recycling plants are commercial 3rd parties, and different councils contract with different operators. some operators are happy to have it mixed as they have a separating process, others may send to different places and Biomass plants all work subtly differently

vickster

Legendary Member
The recycling plants are commercial 3rd parties, and different councils contract with different operators. some operators are happy to have it mixed as they have a separating process, others may send to different places and Biomass plants all work subtly differently

What a load of rubbish ;)

:laugh:

Exactly. We need one standard.

Top Bottom