Littering Cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I’ve seen kids drop rubbish no more than 20 feet from a bin. When it comes to disposing of rubbish many people are just bone idle and don’t care about litter.

You sound like one of my old teachers, that's exactly the sort of thing he used to say in assembly. But yes, people are lazy and stupid, we need to factor that in when we're designing systems.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A littering thing that frustrates me is, when we have a nice sunny day people go and have picnics in the park, as you do. When they're done they tidy up their stuff (all good so far) go to the nearest bin and find it full, because of all the other picnicers, so they just dump it next to the bin. That night Mr Fox comes along and opens all the bags to get at the leftovers within.

Why on earth can people not take their rubbish home? These people aren't unthinking, they get as far as bagging stuff up and going to the bin, but when they find the bin is full their tiny brains fail them.

Those cans and bottles are significantly lighter than they were when you carried them to the park.

A littering thing that frustrates me is, when we have a nice sunny day people go and have picnics in the park, as you do. When they're done they tidy up their stuff (all good so far) go to the nearest bin and find it full, because of all the other picnicers, so they just dump it next to the bin. That night Mr Fox comes along and opens all the bags to get at the leftovers within.

Why on earth can people not take their rubbish home? These people aren't unthinking, they get as far as bagging stuff up and going to the bin, but when they find the bin is full their tiny brains fail them.

Those cans and bottles are significantly lighter than they were when you carried them to the park.

Same with dog pop bags. If the bin is full walk the poo to the next bin. Don't decorate the bin with poo bags. FFS - you're on a walk anyway - carrying a bag a bit further won't harm you.

Gillstay

Über Member
Would you mind if we dropped banana skins in your hedge ?

No, not at all if you did it in a tidy manner. If you dropped a beer can it would be very different. As for your two years for a banana skin to rot down, I very much doubt that in the uk climate.

Tom B

Guru
I hear this oft quoted. But is it perhaps one of those things that should include "in the right circumstances".

I would never dream of eating a banana they're vile. But some people do.

I was only thinking about this last week. On Monday I noticed someone had left a banana skin and some orange peel over the wall in the park as I walked my lad to school. My lad walks along the wall and we look at it daily. By Friday it was a shrunken shrivelled black crisp and looked like a piece of bark that surrounded it. I suppose. No it hadn't broken down, bit it was well on its way, wasn't visually obtrusive and at the ends of the day isn't plastic.

Getting back to the subject the one that annoys me it gel pouches. We will be hosting ironman soon. There is a stretch of road that the competitors run along three times and seems to be a spot where they like to take a gel. I ride it daily. Aside from the fact that council clear the road for a couple of hundred blokes to ride it one day a year then don't do jot for those of us who rise it daily. My annoyance is that today there is not a single gel pouch. But the day after there will be 30+ if it is anything like last time as competitors thrown them down.
*I'm going to talk to the organisers about this they seem to be pretty responsive.

I hate to see Pro cyclists throwing bottles but most of them get souvenired, but it's still a poor image.

So in the interests of scientific experiment I procured a full banana skin and fed the insides to the children (arn kids disgusting!) Keenly watched by the dog.

I then found a secluded spot at the bottom of the garden and dumped my skin. Intending to photograph it daily.

At the end of day 1 it was black and shrivelled.
Half way through day 2, the dog ate it.

I'm not sure what that proves...

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've said it before. It doesn't matter whether your newspaper / tissues / banana skin / orange peel will ultimately degrade, or how long it will take. If you Take your rubbish home the question becomes irrelevant.

Why would anyone think it was a good idea to do otherwise?

So in the interests of scientific experiment I procured a banana skin and fed the insides to the children (arn kids disgusting!) Keenly watched by the dog.

I then found a secluded spot at the bottom of the garden and dumped my skin. Intending to photograph it daily.

At the end of day 1 it was black and shrivelled.
Half way through day 2, the dog ate it.

I'm not sure what that proves...

Always go for a walk with a dog??

preferably a Lab - they will eat anything

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
You sound like one of my old teachers, that's exactly the sort of thing he used to say in assembly. But yes, people are lazy and stupid, we need to factor that in when we're designing systems.

I think it’s just that kids and adults tend to litter differently. The types of kids who litter draw attention to themselves in a brash and obvious manner when doing it. Most adults who litter try and do it without being noticed. Thus one gets noticed and not the other. But results of both get noticed.

Reactions: C R
I've said it before. It doesn't matter whether your newspaper / tissues / banana skin / orange peel will ultimately degrade, or how long it will take. If you Take your rubbish home the question becomes irrelevant.

Why would anyone think it was a good idea to do otherwise?

In the case of plants that grew out of the ground, it might be a good idea to put them back in the ground. Just as any (non-human) animal would do after eating bananas, oranges etc.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In the case of plants that grew out of the ground, it might be a good idea to put them back in the ground. Just as any (non-human) animal would do after eating bananas, oranges etc.

If you feel strongly about this, you should TAKE YOUR RUBBISH HOME and put plant waste on your compost heap. If you don't have a compost heap this is the ideal opportunity to start one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom