Littering Cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianbarton

Veteran
This morning I went to collect our cats from the cattery. On my way home there was some sort of cycle event taking place, with several groups cycling together. I drove through Audlem and turned left up Green Lane (A529) towards Heywood Lane. Part way up the hill out of Audlem one rider in the middle of the group reached into his back pocket, pulled out a long brown package, and threw it over the hedge. It was approximately 1030am. If I hadn't been collecting the cats I would have overtaken the group, pulled him off his bike and made him go back to collect his litter. If anyone here knows the criminal's identity please give him a big telling off.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
There is always one in every walk of life that spoiled it for others :angry:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Annoying for sure. But if I got that wound up and wrote a post about every stupid, antisocial thing I saw I’d be at it all day.

This +1..
And please, let's not go down the ".......but they're giving all cyclists a bad name" well trodden path. There are nobbers on bikes, same as there are nobbers everywhere else. If others want to use generalisation as an excuse to dislike cyclists, then the problem is with them, not cyclists.

I think the attempts by the big televised races to cut down on the big stars happily lobbing litter all over the countryside should help with this

It did set a really bad example

Although some people will litter anyway - but reducing the "I saw XXX doing in on the TDF and saving the weight of a Yorkie wrapper will improve my Strava segment" concept will help

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would have overtaken the group, pulled him off his bike and made him go back to collect his litter.

Serious question; would you consider doing this (if you had the opportunity), in the case of - for example - a group of youths in a car?
Just asking, because I have seen it regularly in car parks near fast food outlets, where they cannot be bothered to walk to one of the plentiful bins nearby, preferring to open a car door and dump the food packaging outside.
I have often been tempted to do something similar by picking up said packaging and throwing it back into the car, but I really don't think it would end well for me!

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I save the weight of the Yorkie wrappers by taking them off before the ride. I then eat the Yorkie before the ride to save carrying it too. I do this with cakes, crisps, beer and wine. My Strava segments have never been so good.

What's Strava btw?

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Serious question; would you consider doing this (if you had the opportunity), in the case of - for example - a group of youths in a car?
Just asking, because I have seen it regularly in car parks near fast food outlets, where they cannot be bothered to walk to one of the plentiful bins nearby, preferring to open a car door and dump the food packaging outside.
I have often been tempted to do something similar by picking up said packaging and throwing it back into the car, but I really don't think it would end well for me!

Absolutely, I usually have several electric fence posts in the back of the truck, which make a decent self-defence weapon (sharp steel point at one end). A friend of mine who lived in the Yorkshire Dales regularly picked up litter people had dropped out of their car, rapped on their window and emptied it back over them.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
This +1..
And please, let's not go down the ".......but they're giving all cyclists a bad name" well trodden path. There are nobbers on bikes, same as there are nobbers everywhere else. If others want to use generalisation as an excuse to dislike cyclists, then the problem is with them, not cyclists.

Earlier on in the year, we had a litter pick along our local lanes. A single, layby yielded six bin bags of litter. This was mostly fast foodstuff that drivers couldn't be bothered to take home. I do not dislike cyclists in general, but ones who can't be bothered to take their litter home with them, or put it in a bin.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Is this thread for real? Or some sort of Guy Ritchie induced fantasy?

"I got the little toe rag in the back of my van and bludgeoned 'im wiv 'is own Yorkie wrapper, wound round an 'andy baseball bat I always carry. Big Gordon - woo wuz wiv me an the missis coz we wuz goin doggin darn Dangly Dell n that innit - made the little scrote eat 'is own bike, coz it wuz litterin' our bleedin' lane verge. Right? Teach 'im to peel a farkin satsuma in front of my 'ouse, The Little Bleeder".

"Ha ha. Right. Then you should've seen Trev 'ere right. He only gone and rang the carncel and got the poor sod done for flytippin', innit Trev. Took a snap of 'im bleedin' and leavin' peelins on the grars n that. Proper done 'im like a kipper."

Top Bottom