Littering Cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Littering by anyone grips my colon but it’s an extra problem around Salisbury, where there’s still PHE guidance in place (as of early 2022, but I can’t find an update that says otherwise) about litter picking after the 2018 Novichok poisonings. I ride that way quite a bit. Although most of the villages don’t generally attract a great deal of crap dropping, the road through Alderbury has it’s fair share of schite that almost certainly passed out of a vehicle window at some point. It must really wind the locals up.

https://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/news/t...pring-clean-this-march-and-april-in-wiltshire

Serious question; would you consider doing this (if you had the opportunity), in the case of - for example - a group of youths in a car?
Just asking, because I have seen it regularly in car parks near fast food outlets, where they cannot be bothered to walk to one of the plentiful bins nearby, preferring to open a car door and dump the food packaging outside.
I have often been tempted to do something similar by picking up said packaging and throwing it back into the car, but I really don't think it would end well for me!

I did something similar once.
Bloke lobbed a tissue out of his window whilst waiting to collect someone from work.
I popped it back through saying you've dropped this.

Anyway he got out waving his crooklok and threatening to kill me. Ended up with a police chase. He apologized.

Gillstay

Über Member
Anti-littering but you throw your rubbish in the hedgerow?

Can you explain this one for me?

Have to admit I often leave banana skins and apple cores in the countryside. Its all carbon cycle, nutrients, and production of a good soil.
I feel it has to be better than taking it home to put in a bin, for a truck to collect, to take to a tip, to bury with a load of plastic.

Have to admit I often leave banana skins and apple cores in the countryside. Its all carbon cycle, nutrients, and production of a good soil.
I feel it has to be better than taking it home to put in a bin, for a truck to collect, to take to a tip, to bury with a load of plastic.

Would you mind if we dropped banana skins in your hedge ?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's a gel tree on one of my routes. It drops its fruit of gel wrappers at its base. I occasionally do clean ups there and have collected 20-odd wrappers at a time, all in that one spot. It must be a refuelling stop for a local rider or riders.

If you take it out with you, TAKE IT HOME. It doesn't matter if it's it's a banana skin, crisp packet, orange peel, apple core, gel wrapper, fag ends and matches, sandwich crusts, newspaper ....

PaulSB

Legendary Member

I can see the argument there but it does just lay around for months in the same way as paper etc. In my part of the world we separate our waste in to plastic, glass, metal, paper and cardboard, and general household waste.

Additionally in my house we compost anything which will biodegrade. I fully appreciate not everyone can do this.

The end result is our general waste is about 25% of a wheelie bin capacity. You really should take it home plus rotting in landfill is better than littering the countryside.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There's a gel tree on one of my routes. It drops its fruit of gel wrappers at its base. I occasionally do clean ups there and have collected 20-odd wrappers at a time, all in that one spot. It must be a refuelling stop for a local rider or riders.

I'd leave a note on said tree and mention it to any local cycling clubs.

Most fast food places send a junior employee out on litter patrol, to change the bin bags and do a pick up round the car park, its sad that the latter part is necessary.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro

If you take it out with you, TAKE IT HOME. It doesn't matter if it's it's a banana skin, crisp packet, orange peel, apple core, gel wrapper, fag ends and matches, sandwich crusts, newspaper ....

No reason to doubt you but honestly I don't really seen any cycling-specific detritus round and about here. Even in the New Forest, where it's well known that Cyclists Are To Blame For Everything, any litter you do see is very unlikely to have come from people on bikes. Is this a regional thing?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No reason to doubt you but honestly I don't really seen any cycling-specific detritus round and about here. Even in the New Forest, where it's well known that Cyclists Are To Blame For Everything, any litter you do see is very unlikely to have come from people on bikes. Is this a regional thing?

I'm not suggesting here is a general problem with cyclists and litter. I'm pretty sure the vast, vast majority of litter is transported out to the countryside by car (and lets not get on to fly tipping!)

The Gel Tree is just a weird one-off. One or more people habitually dump gel wrappers there. Always the same brand. There's a rather weedy hill nearby (Beddlestead Lane), so perhaps they are getting their strength up. I've not been that way for a while, I need to go and check.
1655713914288.png

Last edited:

Milzy

Guru
This morning I went to collect our cats from the cattery. On my way home there was some sort of cycle event taking place, with several groups cycling together. I drove through Audlem and turned left up Green Lane (A529) towards Heywood Lane. Part way up the hill out of Audlem one rider in the middle of the group reached into his back pocket, pulled out a long brown package, and threw it over the hedge. It was approximately 1030am. If I hadn't been collecting the cats I would have overtaken the group, pulled him off his bike and made him go back to collect his litter. If anyone here knows the criminal's identity please give him a big telling off.
Imagine if you actually pulled someone off their bike & they were a trained fighter then just smashed your face in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some years ago I was riding with a friend once who had just come back from a long tour of mainland Europe. She was very depressed by the amount of rubbish at the roadside. I was just used to it, but she kept pointing it out. Then we hit a lane popular with fly tippers and she nearly had a fit of the vapours.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm not suggesting here is a general problem with cyclists and litter. I'm pretty sure the vast, vast majority of litter is transported out to the countryside by car (and lets not get on to fly tipping!)

The Gel Tree is just a weird one-off. One or more people habitually dump gel wrappers there. Always the same brand. There's a rather weedy hill nearby (Beddlestead Lane), so perhaps they are getting their strength up. I've not been that way for a while, I need to go and check.
View attachment 649681

Agree that that's is just plain weird @Dogtrousers and I'd reckon on it being one person as well. No need for it.

View attachment 649681

Very odd. Someone has strange habits.
At work we did a tidy up on the bike path that ran past the site.
We found a spot where clearly someone comes for a meal every day. Tidied away dozens of orange juice bottles and caps and the same sandwich pack.

What person decides - this is a lovely spot. I will drop my litter here and return again tomorrow and the day after and the day after and wallow in my filth ?

Top Bottom