Littering Cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Something I’ve seen on the French auto routes are these large funnel type bins. Thus those in cars can chuck their rubbish into the funnel without getting out and unless really bad not miss. Because getting out and walking to a bin is clearly too hard.

Tom B

Guru
The one which really winds me up is banana skins. People from all walks of life throw these in the hedgerow in the mistaken belief they rot away quickly. Wrong. It can take up to two years for a banana skin to decompose.
I hear this oft quoted. But is it perhaps one of those things that should include "in the right circumstances".

I would never dream of eating a banana they're vile. But some people do.

I was only thinking about this last week. On Monday I noticed someone had left a banana skin and some orange peel over the wall in the park as I walked my lad to school. My lad walks along the wall and we look at it daily. By Friday it was a shrunken shrivelled black crisp and looked like a piece of bark that surrounded it. I suppose. No it hadn't broken down, bit it was well on its way, wasn't visually obtrusive and at the ends of the day isn't plastic.

Getting back to the subject the one that annoys me it gel pouches. We will be hosting ironman soon. There is a stretch of road that the competitors run along three times and seems to be a spot where they like to take a gel. I ride it daily. Aside from the fact that council clear the road for a couple of hundred blokes to ride it one day a year then don't do jot for those of us who rise it daily. My annoyance is that today there is not a single gel pouch. But the day after there will be 30+ if it is anything like last time as competitors thrown them down.
*I'm going to talk to the organisers about this they seem to be pretty responsive.

I hate to see Pro cyclists throwing bottles but most of them get souvenired, but it's still a poor image.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have got the TDF coming past the house on 3rd July. I cant wait to come in here and complain. 😀

Good friends of ours are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary next month and are going to a few places on Eurostar before heading to Copenhagen. By happy coincidence they’ll be there on the day of the Grand Depart, and their hotel is just a short distance from the start. They’d no idea when they booked it, jammy sods 😎

winjim

Smash the cistern
You don't own a cat, THEY own you, ( in fact cats own everything!)

Next door's cat certainly pwned the pair of coal tits nesting in our wall.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Good friends of ours are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversary next month and are going to a few places on Eurostar before heading to Copenhagen. By happy coincidence they’ll be there on the day of the Grand Depart, and their hotel is just a short distance from the start. They’d no idea when they booked it, jammy sods 😎

They are lucky to get a hotel. Copenhagen centre will be closed down for 5 days.

The one which really winds me up is banana skins. People from all walks of life throw these in the hedgerow in the mistaken belief they rot away quickly. Wrong. It can take up to two years for a banana skin to decompose.

I read an article in a walking magazine (in the dentist as usual) a few years ago
A couple of bloke went on a walk in the mountains and one of them chucked a banana skin over a fence where it ended up hanging on a tree branch
They had a long discussion as they carried on walking - about whether this was OK or not - i.e.
a) it'll decay and be gone in a few days
or
b) it is littering and stays around for ages

The next year rhey went to the same place and were joking about whether or not it would still be on the branch
when they got there is was still there

so the writer conducted an experiment
he hung one skin on a rose bush - up in the air
One was on the soil under the bush
and one was buried under the surface

the result was that the one that was buried decayed in a few weeks
The one lying on the ground decayed far slower - took months
the one hanging on the branch was still there over a year later when the articel was written

so - best to take them home - if not bury them

I hear this oft quoted. But is it perhaps one of those things that should include "in the right circumstances".

I would never dream of eating a banana they're vile. But some people do.

I was only thinking about this last week. On Monday I noticed someone had left a banana skin and some orange peel over the wall in the park as I walked my lad to school. My lad walks along the wall and we look at it daily. By Friday it was a shrunken shrivelled black crisp and looked like a piece of bark that surrounded it. I suppose. No it hadn't broken down, bit it was well on its way, wasn't visually obtrusive and at the ends of the day isn't plastic.

Getting back to the subject the one that annoys me it gel pouches. We will be hosting ironman soon. There is a stretch of road that the competitors run along three times and seems to be a spot where they like to take a gel. I ride it daily. Aside from the fact that council clear the road for a couple of hundred blokes to ride it one day a year then don't do jot for those of us who rise it daily. My annoyance is that today there is not a single gel pouch. But the day after there will be 30+ if it is anything like last time as competitors thrown them down.
*I'm going to talk to the organisers about this they seem to be pretty responsive.

I hate to see Pro cyclists throwing bottles but most of them get souvenired, but it's still a poor image.

Do talk to the organisers. I know some organisers will walk the course the day after to make sure there's no litter left.
They really do want the community on their side. Events are hard to get permission for at the best of times.

OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
Do talk to the organisers. I know some organisers will walk the course the day after to make sure there's no litter left.
They really do want the community on their side. Events are hard to get permission for at the best of times.

I am not sure who organized the event. From memory, there were several signs with something like "Cycling Event" on them, but I didn't notice if they identified the organizers. As a cyclist myself I don't have any objections to cycling events. Our local LBS (now recently closed) often helped to organize events. Audlem Cycling Club usually has a list of events, but it doesn't seem to have been updated recently.

Top Bottom