Littering Cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Serious question; would you consider doing this (if you had the opportunity), in the case of - for example - a group of youths in a car?
Just asking, because I have seen it regularly in car parks near fast food outlets, where they cannot be bothered to walk to one of the plentiful bins nearby, preferring to open a car door and dump the food packaging outside.
I have often been tempted to do something similar by picking up said packaging and throwing it back into the car
, but I really don't think it would end well for me!

We had a delivery driver do this at work, I picked up his rubbish and threw it back into his van and very politely suggested he had dropped something.

Whilst no way am I perfect, but I hate littering, there is just no need to do it, and it is never justifiable

Petrichorwheels

The one which really winds me up is banana skins. People from all walks of life throw these in the hedgerow in the mistaken belief they rot away quickly. Wrong. It can take up to two years for a banana skin to decompose.

am anti littering but plead guilty to leaving banana skins hidden inside hedges. out of sight. does it matter if it takes two years? It WILL go into the ground. lots of other stuff in the countryside must take a fair old while to return to the earth - dead birds/animals etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ianbarton

ianbarton

Veteran
And if you picked it up to use or threaten to use against someone you would be in serious bother with the old bill.

I am allowed to defend myself, which is very different to threatening someone. In the past, I have had to deal with people who want to dump large amounts of waste in one of my fields, or who have been hare coursing. Asking them politely to bugger off is likely to result in you ending up in A&E.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A long brown package thrown over a hedge sounds more like contraband than litter. Know anyone who could fence it?

classic33

Leg End Member
am anti littering but plead guilty to leaving banana skins hidden inside edges. out of sight. does it matter if it takes two years? It WILL go into the ground. lots of other stuff in the countryside must take a fair old while to return to the earth - dead birds/animals etc.
I've seen a dead cow reduced to bone within a week of last being seen.
The two year figure is for under ideal conditions.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
I save the weight of the Yorkie wrappers by taking them off before the ride. I then eat the Yorkie before the ride to save carrying it too. I do this with cakes, crisps, beer and wine. My Strava segments have never been so good.

What's Strava btw?

A Strava is a Portuguese variety of orange, its segments are prized for their lack of seeds and their juiciness.
And surely, the only chocolate a cyclist should carry is an Aero, because aero is always good on a bike isn’t it? Plus the bubbles save weight.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
am anti littering but plead guilty to leaving banana skins hidden inside edges. out of sight. does it matter if it takes two years? It WILL go into the ground. lots of other stuff in the countryside must take a fair old while to return to the earth - dead birds/animals etc.

Why? Why not take your rubbish home? Was it a very heavy banana skin or something.

If you managed to take it out with you, you can surely get it home again.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Serious question; would you consider doing this (if you had the opportunity), in the case of - for example - a group of youths in a car?
Just asking, because I have seen it regularly in car parks near fast food outlets, where they cannot be bothered to walk to one of the plentiful bins nearby, preferring to open a car door and dump the food packaging outside.
I have often been tempted to do something similar by picking up said packaging and throwing it back into the car, but I really don't think it would end well for me!

Friend of mine did just that. He was a big guy and a bit intimidating looking tho'. Wouldn't try it myself.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Anti-littering but you throw your rubbish in the hedgerow?

Can you explain this one for me?

Ratchet Cat

Veteran
Hello OP. I know Audlem and the route you described well.
Any form of littering gets my goat. There's a new take away near me. The litter from there is awful. There's also lager cans, coffee cups and I even spotted an unused COVID test kit once.
Take your litter home!! I'm old enough to remember the public information films that the BBC used to show.

Anyway OP, if you cycle near Audlem, please wave at any cyclists you see on red bikes. We might wave at each other one day.🐱

Top Bottom