1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little Black Holes.

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Andy in Sig, 5 Jun 2008.

1. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

I saw an alarming thing on the German Telly last night. Apparently there is a seriously good chance that the CERN particle accelerator could generate a sub-microscopic black hole as a by product of atomic collisions. The problem with black holes is that they can only grow.

A professor of chaos theory was wheeled on who said that such a thing would inevitably gobble up the planet but it was impossible to calculate whether it would take five or a thousand years to do it.

I find this possibility to be a seriously alarming one but I'm not enough of a physicist to be able to comment knowledgeably on it. If it is possible shouldn't these experiments be stopped right away? I don't think the tax payer should be funding the even theoretically possible vanishing of the planet.

2. Haitch

Haitch Flim Flormally

Take a look at this, Andy.

3. Night Train

Night Train Guest

I think it would be extremely unlikely that a black hole would be formed. The Large Hadron Collider isn't quite big enough and not enough energy is being put in.

This has been talked about in the tabloid press for over a year now. Would be interesting if it did happen though.

4. Smeggers

Smeggers New Member

I heard there was a group challenging it in court. Albeit headed by some crack pot 'scientist'.

5. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

According to Alan's link the opposition group even have their own song. I bet those nutty scientists at CERN haven't even bothered.

But didn't Bonj claim to be working at CERN not so long ago? Perhaps he could clear the matter up (no pun intended) in his own indomitable fashion.

6. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

I wonder if Walter L. Wagner is a physicist in the same sense that Bonj is... :biggrin:

7. GaryA

GaryA Subversive Sage

Dont worry andy, if it does appear it will only exist for a nanosecond or such and join the long list of other nanosecond mathematical constructs maskerading as sub-atomic particles :biggrin:

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

No, there isn't a seriously good chance, there is a potential tiny risk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/tx/universe/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/tvradio/programmes/horizon/broadband/tx/universe/vote/

It's about a 1 in 50,000,000 chance apparently, which is hardly classified as a 'seriously good chance'

And

http://public.web.cern.ch/Public/en/LHC/Safety-en.html

But it would make for a seriously fun Hollywood blockbuster where we could all be saved from being sucked into a black hole by Bruce Willis and a team of itinerent oil-drilling has-beens. :biggrin:

9. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

From what I read, they're going to make a tiny black hole partly to demonstrate the existence of hawking radiation (where black holes lose matter through quantum effects, despite light not getting out of them) - so a black hole that small would evaporate almost instantly.

Now they're reasonably certain that hawking radiation exists but, well, if it doesn't........................there goes the planet.

10. And

And Too gobby by half

"A professor of chaos theory was wheeled on who said that such a thing would inevitably gobble up the planet...."

as long as it starts with Liverpool, I'll be OK with that

11. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

You are Boris Johnson and I claim my five pounds! :biggrin:

12. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

13. Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig Vice President in Exile

But given the possible consequences, I think that those are far too short odds to take the chance. I think I prefer the hysterical alarmist approach.

14. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

Don't Panic, Mr Mainwaring .... Don't Panic

15. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

Andy, you seem to have gotten completely the wrong end of the stick. A few people actually really hope that mini black holes are created at LHC. The idea crudely is that of a shower head where there are lots of extra dimensions but gravity (the hierarchy problem) is only really strong right next to the shower head and gets diluted out rapidly. If this theory is correct and you hit the sweet spot, the extra gravity would be able to make these mini black holes (that would then just radiate themselves out of existence).