Little wheels = abuse!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gpx001

Über Member
Why is it I can cycle mile upon mile on my trusty Dawes hybrid or my roadie, with never a murmur or grumble from people I pass. But, nip out on my folder and I get verbally abused by yoofs, builders and other boneheads! "Get yourself a proper bike" or "Look at him on that girls bike" are a couple of the more repeatable comments. Surely the 20" wheels aren't that offensive?

Anyone else had the same?

Dormouse

You need to be ready with abuse to hurl back. I suggest for male yobs: "Come back when your b*lls drop" and for yobettes "Fat slags" will do.

Make sure you can escape them just in case they turn nasty.

I haven't had any abuse for ages but then I don't have a folder either.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Just call out "have a salad". :blush:

I wouldn't be bothered. I also have 20" wheels on my recumbent, though it doesn't tend to get called a girls bike either.

I've pretty well stopped commuting on the folder and gone back to the full-sized hack. I felt that drivers especially didn't give me space on the folder in the way that they do a big bike. I had a very nasty left hook that brushed my handlebars and shoulder on the folder, literally within millimetres of injuring me badly.

Certainly had a few bits of verbal abuse but try to just hurl it back.

OP
OP
G

gpx001

Über Member
Twenty Inch said:
I've pretty well stopped commuting on the folder and gone back to the full-sized hack. I felt that drivers especially didn't give me space on the folder in the way that they do a big bike. I had a very nasty left hook that brushed my handlebars and shoulder on the folder, literally within millimetres of injuring me badly.

Certainly had a few bits of verbal abuse but try to just hurl it back.

Yeah, I've noticed the same thing - the folder doesn't have the same road presence. It is a useful little bugger though and is convenient.

Maybe I'll buy some ear-plugs!

Membrane

I think that this is the result of people's or society's general tendency to reject things that are out of the ordinary.

I regularly encounter the inventor of the "sideways bike" out on that bike on my rides. On occasions I myself have noticed a slight tendency to call out to him "get a normal/proper bike like everyone else" as I fly past him. Part in a joking manner, but not entirely.

On a point of anthropology, perhaps it could be argued that this tendency helps to create the glue that binds us together. The paradox is that it uses rejection as a method to achieve the bonding.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Ment to reply to this before.
I ride my folder everyday, and i love it when someone on a mountainbike trys to keep up, some do some keep up for so long then drop off.
I've had some abuse from kids, and i love to shout abuse back like "grow some Boll@cks and come back say that."
However, some people dont say anything. And i've had people ask if it folds and when i say yes, they normally say cool.
I get some strange looks from some people, and some kids laugh. My brothers thought my folder was stupid, then they had a go on it and really liked it.
The best come back, is "these wheels are the same size as my penis." cant do anything but laugh at that.

Joe24 said:
Ment to reply to this before.
I ride my folder everyday, and i love it when someone on a mountainbike trys to keep up, some do some keep up for so long then drop off.
I've had some abuse from kids, and i love to shout abuse back like "grow some Boll@cks and come back say that."
However, some people dont say anything. And i've had people ask if it folds and when i say yes, they normally say cool.
I get some strange looks from some people, and some kids laugh. My brothers thought my folder was stupid, then they had a go on it and really liked it.
The best come back, is "these wheels are the same size as my penis." cant do anything but laugh at that.

*Zooming past on a 700c roadbike*

"Pretty small compared to mine then, wahey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Lol, sorry, it had to be done. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

Lol, sorry, it had to be done. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

:biggrin:
I;ve got a Penny Farthing, you sure you wont to try and compete?
:biggrin: :sad:

It's NOT the size of the wheels, it's what you do with them ;)

While cycling my ice cream bike a young lad asked "Don't you feel like a right c**t riding that?" I looked him straight in the eyes and said firmly "NO!" and laughed, then he laughed.

Trillian

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:

Lol, sorry, it had to be done. :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

zooms past on 27 1 1/4 wheeled road bike

:thumbsup:

i win?

Top Bottom