Littlelittle dent on steel frame - new bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soefo

Hej to everyone! Came here because I need some advice! Bought a new bike 3000 euros. Steelframe "intec". Found a very small dent - without anything you could see on the paint.

I wouldn`t bother but I wonder what I could claim in return of the shop?! Or is this things that happen to steelframes? Sorry if that questions sounds a bit stupid :smile:

Thanks for your answers!

MikeG

Guru
Sounds like you are seeing this as an opportunity to make some sort of a gain. If it is so small that you "wouldn't bother", why not not bother?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Can you post a photo?

Some frames are deliberately dented on the right hand chainstay to make space for the chainring or even inside the chainstays to make room for the tyre. A smooth dent doesn't compromise the strength of the tube because the stresses flow through it smoothly. However a sharp dent or a fold in the metal will form a stress riser, like when you nick a plastic wrapper with your teeth to allow you to tear it open.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Seems like you ought to be contacting your supplier rather than posting on here. Was the bike shipped out to you or did you pick it up from the shop? When after delivery did you notice it? As said we need to see a pic.

OP
OP
S

soefo

thanks for your replies! here is the foto . it is a really small dent almost difficult to take a foto because its so small. The bike was built in germany and sent to a shop where they just put everything together and they saw the dent when they upacked the bike.
20170816_171608.jpg

gaijintendo

Veteran
It cost €3k.
My eye would only see the tiny dent.
It would destroy me, until I ride the bike and it was lived in, at which point I would be fine...
But €3k.... Hmm. You'd think they'd QC it.
Would you have paid €3k for a 'second'?
Probably not.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If the shop where your bike was put together noticed it when they unpacked the frame they should have halted work and referred back to you and the frame maker. That is if their version of events is correct.

What would you like? A new frame or a discount. You need to discuss these options with all concerned.

OP
OP
S

soefo

They told me directly after unpacking when they saw the dent. I can live with it if it doesn`t matter the stability but my theory was that it must have happend already during the making of the frame because you dont see anything on the lack?! Overall I wondered if this is something that can happen during the producingprocess.

MiK1138

Veteran
Now that the bike has been put together the maker can justifiably blame the assembler. so it looks like you are A. stuck with it. B. onto plums for a discount

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
They told me directly after unpacking when they saw the dent. I can live with it if it doesn`t matter the stability but my theory was that it must have happend already during the making of the frame because you dont see anything on the lack?! Overall I wondered if this is something that can happen during the producingprocess.

They told you immediately, before they built the bike, so presumably you told them to go ahead and build it ? Not sure what your issue is then, since you obviously accepted it at the time

OP
OP
S

soefo

it is a new bike with a dent in the frame, that is the issue. i am in contact with the shop that built the bike and they didnt see the dent. If they were sure they had checked the frame in the beginnging it would be obvious that this happend during shipping but they arent, so I must guess that they didnt check the frame properly or just thought i wouldnt see it. They offer 25% if I buy in their shop and I wonder if thats fair or not?! What do you Think? I am not so super picky with this dent but still i want to be fair treated so thats why i ask for a opinion of you. And i was not sure if this dent has an influence on the stability/quality of the frame.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It won't affect the stability or usability of the bike at all, it's just cosmetic.
It's a bit difficult to say what is fair for you. We can only say what might be fair to us, you'll have to make your own judgment on that. 25% off other goods from their shop seems reasonable to me, but I'm not you.

Top Bottom