Livall Smart Helmet BH60SE review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
About a month ago I considered buying the above Helmet and asked what you thought about it. I got a mixed reception on it, and my curiosity finally got the better of me and took the plunge and bought one.
They usually retail around the 100 pounds mark, but Halfords were doing a deal.20% off if you trade in your old helmet.
My old helmet had certainly seen better days.it was a cheap Lidl one that only cost me 10 pounds, so trading it in actually made it worth twice as much.
The Livall helmet boasts alot of features,and as a self confessed gadget freak I simply couldn't resist. Cycling for me mainly comprisises of long solo rides out in the middle of nowhere and this smart helmet ticked all the right boxes. Bluetooth conectability were i could listen to music and a function were i could make and received phone calls. The best feature though that I liked was the SOS feature.If I was to fall off the bike and whack my head the helmet will automatically sent a message to your choosen contact letting them know something has happened and your location. Very handy if your in the middle of nowhere by you self. It even has built in indicators that will signal left or right via a small handle bar controller.
You would most probably think this helmet would look like some sort of monstrosity on your head but it doesn't. Looking at it, it looks like any other road bike helmet and in my opinion it looks very smart too ( as far as helmets go that is).
Overall I'm really pleased with it. Battery life is very good and is quick and easy to charge with its magnetic charging plug. It's very comfortable and seems very well finished inside and out. The chin strap could of been made alittle longer as it does feel aliitle tight under my chin when fully adjusted out, but its only a minor niggle. The built in speakers are situated inside the helmets casing just above your ears. This means you can listen to music but importantly still hear your suroundings like approaching cars etc (very important for safety reasons)
The sound is a little tinny with no base, but it's very clear and can be heard easily at up to speeds of 20mph before the wind noise affects it. Another plus is that it's not intrusive to people around you so can feel comfortable about whatever awful music you want to listen to.The handle bar remote is small and descrete and works very well. It will control the volume, indicators, answer calls and also be used to operate another addition feature, the intercom. This doesn't appeal to me,but if your partner or friend has the same helmet your can chat merrily away via the intercom. The rear lights could be brighter in my opinion and are hard to see in day light but are good at night. The indicators work well but again these could really be brighter for day time use. At night there very good. I wouldn't soley rely on them though and would always use hand signals. The indicators self cancel after around 10 seconds and make a bleeping noise though the speakers to let you know there flashing( absolutely useless when listening to music) Thankfully the SOS feature has not been used in anger and hope it stays that way.
Receiving phone calls works ok, but not brilliant. The wind noise of cycling buffers the small inbuilt microphone but once you stop cycling its very clear.
So there you have it and congratulations for staying awake reading this.
Would i recommend one??? Definitely but only if it was around the £80 mark.
All the very best.
Johnny

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Thanks for the review.

It seems the manufacturer's claims are a little optimistic based on your review. Clear sound through the mic at 60 kmh? Only on the calmest of days it would seem and then maybe at only 30 kmh.

I do like the idea of the speakers for hearing GPS instructions from my phone. I'm most often riding solo and also like listening to audio books, but will only do so on off-road trails like the TPT as I won't wear headphones on the road. Speakers in the helmet would be the same as speakers in a car - you can still hear what's going on around you.

The rear red light may be handy as a second source, but I wouldn't bother with the indicators as, as you state, hand signals should still be used.

Sharky

Guru
It worries me having contraptions built into a structure that is designed to break and spread the forces to protect the head. What happens when you fall and land on one of these built in devices, will it be pushed through and into the scalp? But what really worried me was the built in SOS function, should you crash and bang your head, and presumably knocks you out? Is this a feature needed because it is expected that the helmet will not protect the head in all situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom