Living in a vehicle full time... serious replies please :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
A friend of mine, soon to be evicted due to landlord selling up, has decided that he's going to live in his estate car to save money... personally i think it's hare brained plan... especially in the middle of winter and in a national lockdown during a global pandemic. Not to mention the fact then he'll technically be homeless.

He's thought through all the stuff like, where to shower, launder his clothes and putting heat reflecting things to cover the windows so the car will be all nice and homely... but there's got to be more to it than that.

Back in the 80s some of my mates were travellers and I'm pretty certain that that lifestyle is practically impossible in England these days as the places left to park were so hard to find (they were all housed by '93).

Is it legal or illegal to live in a car (or motorhome) full time, parked wherever? eg. the prom, or at a service station.

Anything I can offer to make him think logically and realistically would be greatly appreciated.

Links to legislation, laws, etc would be ideal.

:smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
A friend of mine, soon to be evicted due to landlord selling up, has decided that he's going to live in his estate car to save money... personally i think it's hare brained plan... especially in the middle of winter and in a national lockdown during a global pandemic. Not to mention the fact then he'll technically be homeless.

He's thought through all the stuff like, where to shower, launder his clothes and putting heat reflecting things to cover the windows so the car will be all nice and homely... but there's got to be more to it than that.

Back in the 80s some of my mates were travellers and I'm pretty certain that that lifestyle is practically impossible in England these days as the places left to park were so hard to find (they were all housed by '93).

Is it legal or illegal to live in a car (or motorhome) full time, parked wherever? eg. the prom, or at a service station.

Anything I can offer to make him think logically and realistically would be greatly appreciated.

Links to legislation, laws, etc would be ideal.

:smile:

I know loads of people who live in vehicles.

Some quite close by :angel:

Not anything as tiny as an estate car, but certainly small transits.

It's a common enough response to high cost of housing, by mostly (but not exusively) young people.

It's not illegal, but parking overnight in some places is though.

There's loads of van-life groups on Facebook, with lots of tips and tricks.

Some of it is unrealistic fantasy nonsense.

And its not an easy lifestyle.

Unsurprisingly there are lots more folks doing it out here in the mild mild West..

Where housing costs are correspondingly nuts.

I'd imagine your friend would want to upgrade from an estate car before long in this climate

Also right now, with leisure centres etc being closed, it's harder to access hot showers and so on.

But it can be done, friendly park up spots get passed around the network of nollige.

houblon

If you can find a place to park that isn't signed 'no overnight stays' you'll be fine.

Not much fun in a car though, I wouldn't have thought, specially in winter and in these strange times.

Gunk

Guru
A weekend in West Wittering in a friends static caravan was enough for me, everything was two thirds scale, even having a shower was a pain, no elbow room and no room to dry yourself off, there must be other alternatives to living in Transit van, sounds completely miserable.

midlife

Guru
I lost my flat in London as a student and lived in a car. Used the uni for washing, food and beer. I lasted about a week and slept on someone's floor until I got sorted.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
How will he tax and insure his vehicle with no address?
There was a guy tried that in Keswick Leisure Centre car park, with a dog as companion. Didn't last long.

He can use the address of a family member or friend, who is happy to receive his post as well.

From the few times I have spent a drunken night sleeping in a car I can confirm It will be freezing cold and the windows will be covered in condensation. Cars aren’t designed to be slept in.

It's not ideal.
I'd want at least a van, with a wood or diesel fired heater.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
People have done it. More common in the states in things like the prius. The battery makes it ideal, the hybrid makes it convenient. But.... there are so many lifestyle changes to consider in such a small vehicle. Hygiene, Laundry, Security, Storage, Cooking, Food preparation? Going to live off pasties and takeaway? etc some of which you mentioned, what about when the car needs work? Would it void car Insurance and require a new type of cover? Not sure... but whilst all are probably overcome each will be just that bit more challenging and would likely wear a person down. Especially this time of year. Parking on a housing estate is probably ill advised. I would consider somewhere out of the way and stealthy. Either way its surely better than nowt and wish them luck...

houblon

See above :rolleyes:
Yes, saw that after I'd posted. Is that legal for driving licence and vehicle registration? I guess they just need an address where to find you when you hit&run or otherwise break a law. Some tricky questions to be answered regarding insurance though.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yes, saw that after I'd posted. Is that legal for driving licence and vehicle registration? I guess they just need an address where to find you when you hit&run or otherwise break a law. Some tricky questions to be answered regarding insurance though.
I think its pretty much that yes...

Top Bottom