1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Living in the past

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Accy cyclist, 19 Mar 2017.

1. Do any of you prefer to live in the past? I've been doing this for quite a while now, I like to wear what some would call retro style clothes.. Ron Hill Tracksters,wool cycling jerseys, old style trainers,Fred Perry polo shirts etc. I'm thinking of getting some old style cycling posters like this.
    noel-fontanet-championnat-du-monde-de-cross-cyclo-pedestre.jpg
    for the walls. I'd like to reclaim the 1950's radiogram which was my grandparent's then my mother's,before my brother claimed it and took it miles away:thumbsdown:. I bet he's sold it even though in money terms it'd only fetch about 50 quid. I even turn the colour down sometimes on the telly so i can watch in black and white. Also i prefer carbolic soap and Izal toilet paper. Is it just me or do any of you lot like to live in the past,if not all the time?:smile:

2. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Can you go back in time and delete your duplicate post?

:smile:

3. Crackle

Crackle Pah

We are products of our time. As we get older this becomes more apparent. I'm a product of the 60's/70's, there's a certain type of humour, a kind of Carry on/Bless This House humour which appeals to me. Children have helped me keep up with modernity but I recognise that once their influence is more distant, I will become a dinosaur, not only will I become one but I will enjoy being one, a slightly curmudgeonly dinosaur: It's all planned out.

postman, pubrunner, colly and 12 others like this.
  4. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Thanks but no thanks. It was bad enough living through it the first time. I have no desire to repeat it. A bit like ground hog day. :laugh:

robjh, Pat "5mph", Mrs M and 5 others like this.
  5. midlife

midlife Veteran

There is no way I'm going back to hard San Izal toilet paper............

Shaun

r04DiE, Nigeyy, Prometheus and 7 others like this.
  6. odav

odav (';')

I live in Liverpool, it's the 1960's every day!
    As I've got older, my cycling preferences have changed. As a young man I would beg, borrow and steal to have the latest bit of kit. Now, I remove brifters and put the original downtube shifters back and bore everyone rigid talking about simplicity and ease of maintenance. I accept that I'm an old fart, and celebrate it.

7. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I loved the simplicity of my earlier life. Nowadays there seems so much to do, so little time to do it.

Phaeton, Mort and Accy cyclist like this.
  8. Yes but i bet you miss making those kazoos, with hard bog roll and a comb!
    009e27c6c533a6db4709bce6613ae4ce.jpg :music:

odav and midlife like this.
  9. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Clean toilet paper is the answer. ;)

10. Slick

Slick Über Member

My wife is forever living in the past, music, food and entertainment. I couldn't think of anything worse of reliving the 70's, poverty, hunger and general poor health for large chunks of my peers.

r04DiE, Mrs M, nickyboy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Rockymountain

Rockymountain A Scotsman abroad

The past was pretty bad for whole groups of people. Not something we should really celebrate.....empire, slavery, no suffrage for women, racism, class snobbery. I'll stop there....

r04DiE likes this.
  12. meta lon

meta lon Veteran

No..rose tints are fine but feck living with all that old tatt

13. One thing i don't miss. Those acrylic flared trousers and tight fit,big collared shirts they made us wear for school. The static and itchyness(no fabric conditioner in those days) was horrendous!:ohmy: Anyone remember jeans being washed and ending up like cardboard because there was no fabric conditioner?

14. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Never run out of money though!

welsh dragon and Accy cyclist like this.
  15. welsh dragon

welsh dragon a permanent vacancy now exists

Only if you had money back then. :laugh:

classic33 likes this.