Living in the past

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I loved the simplicity of my earlier life. Nowadays there seems so much to do, so little time to do it.
That's because you are older with more responsibilities. Life is no more complicated today than it was thirty years ago, in fact technology has made it far simpler. Nostalgia is a cruel trick of the mind, we only remember the long hot summers and forget that most of them were crap.

gbb

Legendary Member
That's because you are older with more responsibilities. Life is no more complicated today than it was thirty years ago, in fact technology has made it far simpler. Nostalgia is a cruel trick of the mind, we only remember the long hot summers and forget that most of them were crap.
Ironically... you may be right for some people but in my case, as family spreads it's wings, the release of responsibility has had the opposite effect t for me, I piled my life into doing the best I could for my kids...by simply giving the most precious thing you can....your attention and time doing the simplest of things, usually on a tight budget. I now spend any time I can with the grandkids and it's re-paid in spades.
My summers, as a teenager and a young skint father were great btw, best times of my life :okay:
If it's not obvious I'm very much a family man :tongue:

D

Deleted member 26715

Nowadays there seems so much to do, so little time to do it.
The wife & I were only talking about this the other day, how much we used to fit into a day when the kids were little, we're convinced we only do about 1/2 now & still run out of time.

I don't inhabit the past as a conscious decision or lifestyle choice, but from time to time I do find myself - when I visit a particular place, or hear an old song - thinking about people I knew very well back in my Uni years (40 years ago!).

The reminiscence of those times is a happy one - invariably, I smile when something triggers a particular memory - but is tinged with a little sadness that we all seem to have moved on and somehow either not wanted or needed to be part of each others' lives down the years. Perhaps had Facebook been around back then, things would be very different. We all seemed to assume we would magically keep in touch after Uni, but over time and distance things drifted. The regret that I wasn't /we weren't more careful to preserve these relationships never really goes away. Still, the regret is a small price to pay for having many great memories in the first place.

Maybe it's just me? I wonder sometimes: do any of them have similar thoughts, do they ever find themselves prompted to think about our times together or am I alone amongst them in my susceptibility to reflecting even now that they were some of the best times of my life?

Aside: love listening to Johnnie Walker's Sounds of the Seventies every Sunday afternoon, as much for the stories of how music has meaning to people as for the music itself.

MarkF

Guru
People who live in the past do my head in, my heart sinks when I hear "Do you remember when..........." prefixing a story I just know I'll have heard a gazillion times before......I know some world class reminiscers and do my level best to avoid them.

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Do any of you prefer to live in the past? I've been doing this for quite a while now, I like to wear what some would call retro style clothes.. Ron Hill Tracksters,wool cycling jerseys, old style trainers,Fred Perry polo shirts etc. I'm thinking of getting some old style cycling posters like this.
View attachment 343119
for the walls. I'd like to reclaim the 1950's radiogram which was my grandparent's then my mother's,before my brother claimed it and took it miles away:thumbsdown:. I bet he's sold it even though in money terms it'd only fetch about 50 quid. I even turn the colour down sometimes on the telly so i can watch in black and white. Also i prefer carbolic soap and Izal toilet paper. Is it just me or do any of you lot like to live in the past,if not all the time?:smile:

Izal toilet paper

I would rather use powdered glass.When I was a kid I used Izal as tracing paper.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That is because you are an optimist!

My dad did an apprenticeship and his carpentry and joinery skills lasted him a working life. The technologies I studied at university were completely overtaken and replaced 3 or 4 times in 30 years, and it was a constant battle to keep up.

I only remember the crappy summers and forget that sometimes we get a good one! :laugh:

Top Bottom