Living on your own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Id be alright, just so long as I had my dawg.
What about the Volvo :laugh:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Copy and paste the post by @Saluki above; but I don't have the dogs. I love the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I have tried the living together thing for short periods in the past and it drove me nuts. May have been wrong choice of partner, or maybe it is just independent me. Surely not... :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Copy and paste the post by @Saluki above; but I don't have the dogs. I love the freedom to do what I want, when I want. I have tried the living together thing for short periods in the past and it drove me nuts. May have been wrong choice of partner, or maybe it is just independent me. Surely not... :laugh:
Weren’t you getting married? Or did that end? :scratch:

Drago

Legendary Member
What about the Volvo :laugh:
A Volvo is almost as faithful as a dog.

If, perish the thought, anything were to happen to Mrs D then that'd be it for me and relationships. Once youve been in a near as dammit perfect relationship then anyrhing less just wouldn't appeal. Ive still got Mini D to keep me busy and my other lasses so id be ok for company. And I got my dawg to sleep on my feet at night and keep me company.

I think a lot of coppers, after 3 decades of mainly clearing up after stupid eejuts that don't know how to behave, end up not liking people very much at all and crave a quiet, peaceful existence. I certainly do.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Weren’t you getting married? Or did that end? :scratch:
It took us 2 years to figure out that we were too different to make it work. My independence versus her being used to having someone 100% (she had been married at 19, for 30 happy years until he died very suddenly :sad:. That didn't help either; she wasn't over the understandable shock of his death 5 years previously).

Brandane

Legendary Member
Once youve been in a near as dammit perfect relationship then anything less just wouldn't appeal.

This - but in my case it was the other side of the relationship who was trying to move on from a previously good relationship which ended through no fault of her's.

I think a lot of coppers, after 3 decades of mainly clearing up after stupid eejuts that don't know how to behave, end up not liking people very much at all and crave a quiet, peaceful existence. I certainly do.

And this too! (but I only managed 2 decades of it).

Drago

Legendary Member
I managed 27. Look back now I wonder how I managed not to strangle anyone!

byegad

Legendary Member
After the first Mrs Byegad and I split up, I lived alone for 9 years, I found I was absolutely happy in my own company, Then I married Lady Byegad and am still happy.
I think some people are not suited to solitary living, and others can do it without issue.

I don't whether I'm getting used to solitary living or not, my wife passed away in January after four years of fighting cancer. March wasn't so bad I rode twelve times, only three rides since. Just can't seem force myself, my 5k time is improving and I walk the dog every day. Weight has dropped a stone, half in the last three months caring for my wife and the rest since. I'm lucky though in several ways, both our children are very considerate and supportive. I also have a few good friends, apart from one elderly aunt and one cousin the rest can go hang, no communication from any of them. We had been together/married since about 1983 so it's strange to be on my own again after such a long time. But we had talked in the last couple of months and she wanted me to be positive and carry on, so that's what I'll try to do. Our first grandchild is due in June and I have to help. She has given me my instructions! Typical teacher!!!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I couldn't do it and hope I never have to.

My mate though, his wife left him after 43 years to run off with the guy she sat next to at the football! He went - hell, he's still going - through a very bad time. Some of his 'friends' were driven away by his attitude following the divorce once he'd realised she was never coming back. He'd constantly tell you how bad things were and then just burst into unmanly tears and whimpering. He had two things that were constants; 1. "Why did we never have kids?" and 2. "I could have come to terms with it if she'd died but this is much worse for me"! Well 1. She told me that was part of the reason, because YOU were too selfish to have kids and always denied her what she wanted. And 2. No bloody wonder she ran off if that's your attitude!

I couldn't do it and hope I never have to.

My mate though, his wife left him after 43 years to run off with the guy she sat next to at the football! He went - hell, he's still going - through a very bad time. Some of his 'friends' were driven away by his attitude following the divorce once he'd realised she was never coming back. He'd constantly tell you how bad things were and then just burst into unmanly tears and whimpering. He had two things that were constants; 1. "Why did we never have kids?" and 2. "I could have come to terms with it if she'd died but this is much worse for me"! Well 1. She told me that was part of the reason, because YOU were too selfish to have kids and always denied her what she wanted. And 2. No bloody wonder she ran off if that's your attitude!
mm - i'm always wary of trying to judge other folks' relationships - what's really going on/had been going on- can be pretty hard to fathom, even if you want to/think it any of your business. hope your mate pulls through.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I lost my wife and soulmate Jo to cancer in August 2019 at just 42, a few weeks short of our 21st wedding anniversary. We'd been together for 23 years so suddenly I was on my own, well apart from the dog.
I'll be honest, it's damn near broken me, especially with the enforced isolation of lockdown and WFH that followed.

I also lost the motivation for cycling as coming back to an empty house is just soul destroying, although I have had a couple of short rides recently so hopefully that's a positive sign.

PaulB

Legendary Member
mm - i'm always wary of trying to judge other folks' relationships - what's really going on/had been going on- can be pretty hard to fathom, even if you want to/think it any of your business. hope your mate pulls through.
Well, high on her bucket list was to watch a game at Anfield so I took her to a Chelsea game and heard the tale of woe from her side for the whole day. Although HE was my best mate, I had to sympathise with her. We knew them well having been on holiday with them several times previously and it always mystified us why they wouldn't have kids because they were naturals with ours and knew exactly how to be good parents. Her job at the time meant they got a very cheap mortgage (building society worker) and having kids would disrupt their lifestyle and they would have to sell their holiday home in France. By the time those things were in the past, it was too late to have kids.

After the split became irrevocable though, his cry for help was to change his picture on Facebook to a noose or to send us a picture of his self-mutilated arm complaining he couldn't find the right cable to cut!

After that though, and I suppose what brought me to this page, was that his loss had him looking for a suitable replacement because he wasn't happy living alone. He met a woman who seemed to meet all his needs....and then ran off with all his money leaving him in a large amount of debt! His answer to that was to get a credit card and spend money he couldn't afford on buying a motorbike - despite never having ridden one before - and claimed he hoped he could find the courage to ride it into a brick wall going fast enough to end all his problems.

Top Bottom