Living on your own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
cripes.
a sad tale indeed.
But I notice you said:
>>Her job at the time meant they got a very cheap mortgage (building society worker) and having kids would disrupt their lifestyle and they would have to sell their holiday home in France. By the time those things were in the past, it was too late to have kids.

ie: THEY

So I'd repeat my take that you can never really know what went on.

I've known women blame a partner for lack of kids when they were perhaps somewhat party to the idea of letting the issue lie.

Similarly, beware of women too keen to have kids - with whoever.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
:cry: some very sad storys

They say time heals – they lied, not unless you can replace what you lost for something better.........

View: https://youtu.be/BGzSI8IgWxM

AuroraSaab

Veteran
What I'm taking away from this thread is that for a long time relationship to work you need to be with someone who is as much a good mate as a romantic interest, and that you need to be on the same page about the big stuff, like having children, before you decide to spend your life together.

Not easily done though as most of us drift along and it could be a few years before you realise you don't align on these things. I had a friend who wanted children but the guy she fell for made it clear from the outset that he didn't, so she accepted that and married him anyway. At least he was honest about it and they seem happy enough.

Davos87

Guru
I also lost my wife to cancer in 2019 after a dreadful and draining 2 years and have found myself on my own after 38 very happy years. I got through the first year reasonably well I thought, kept house and home together, paid the bills, visited my kids who live away and spent valuable time with my lovely grandchildren. This second year of coping has been extremely challenging though (for all I suspect) obviously compounded by the pandemic and the forced isolation and I have struggled at times. Losing my wife and being left on my own has been like a bomb going off in my life and I'm still scratching around looking for the pieces. I get by day to day but find myself feeling very lonely at times. I still get out on my bike but not as regularly as before and its quite strange really that when I do go out for a ride now I somehow feel a bit more vulnerable knowing theres nobody at home for my return. Go figure? I have a number of acquaintances but very few really good and dependable friends or family for that matter I feel comfortable to confide in and I have been surprised and hurt in equal measure as to how previously strong family ties, especially on my wife's side have withered on the vine which is very sad. I do get visits from my kids ( social bubble) but pretty infrequently and they have their own busy lives to lead and I encourage them to do so. The worst part is when they leave, you wave them off from the drive and return to an empty house. Also I find that theres something unutterably sad about preparing a meal and sitting down to eat on your own and I dislike it intensely. There's something really life affirming sitting at a table, eating good food and sharing your day , your concerns, worries or just shooting the breeze or making plans with someone you love, trust and has your best interests at heart. I don't mind doing stuff on my own, but a day to day solitary existence for me can feel exhausting. Despite this I do try to count my blessings though. Life could be a lot worse and I am sure it is a constant and grinding struggle for a variety of reasons for many others. I have my health and although not wealthy by any means I can get by and maintain a reasonable lifestyle. Sadly being on my own has been imposed on me. I had no influence in the matter and its not something I would ever choose. But as others have alluded to you just have to get on with it, play the hand thats been dealt to you and keep going for those left in your life who love, value and need you. My wife more than anything would want me to do that and that now has to be my motivation.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've lived 'alone' for 4 years. I can't say it's great. I miss my old life,but maybe i remember it looking through rose tinted glasses. It plays on my mind when i think that i've only seen the former Mrs Accy a handful of times in those 4 years,yet when i do see her i find it upsetting thinking about how i messed it all up. To me a divorce after years of married life (24 years together) is worse,or at least as bad as a death separation. At least in death you are finally separated,but in divorce especially when the former partner lives nearby,you cling onto a faint hope of a reconciliation. Simple me drives past our former marital home and thinks of all those years we spent together. Even worse i sometimes walk past,knowing the former Mrs Accy will be at work and peer through the front window to kind of torture myself by letting me see our former living room.
I also have a fear of dying alone in my flat. If i did who'd find me and when? People say "We''l look out for you",but they just say that to make you feel better. I've had friends say "If i don't hear from you after a few days i'll knock on your door and if i don't get a response i'll phone the police". I've tested them out. I've gone 2 weeks without contacting them and yet they don't knock on my door or phone me and they definitely didn't call the police even if they did knock and didn't get a response. This is one of the reasons why i will not have the Covid vaccine. I have a fear of it causing a blood clot while i'm asleep or just sat there in my chair. Who would find me and even then it'd probably be too late. I told a woman the other day about my concerns regarding the vaccine. She said that i have a duty to have it and protect others. No,i haven't i replied. I have a duty to look after myself as best i can. No one gives a shoot about me,apart from me. It's a case of looking after number one (and my dog), as no one else will look out for me!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I found my neighbour dead on New Years day a few years back, I saw him on Christmas day at church, but on the 1st we had church again and he was not there, as I had a key to his flat I went in.....sadly he was dead.
A few years before in the adjoining block, someone complained of flies, they found him dead in the bath, been there for at least three weeks according to the police.
Life goes on with or without you, it's a fact of life. :sad:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I found my neighbour dead on New Years day a few years back, I saw him on Christmas day at church, but on the 1st we had church again and he was not there, as I had a key to his flat I went in.....sadly he was dead.
A few years before in the adjoining block, someone complained of flies, they found him dead in the bath, been there for at least three weeks according to the police.
Life goes on with or without you, it's a fact of life. :sad:
My dog's former owner (80 years old) was supposed to come round to ours for Christmas Dinner in 2013. She didn't arrive and after phoning her home many times i went over to see her (5 miles away) on Boxing Day. Her curtains were closed when i got there mid-day. I asked her neighbours if they'd seen her. "Not since 10pm on Christmas Eve. I thought she was at your house" she said. Work it out i fancied (but didn't) saying to her. Her curtains were closed on Christmas day,what does that tell you?! I phoned the police who went there after i'd left. They phoned me hours after i'd left to tell me they'd entered her home to find her dead in bed. People pretend they're concerned but....
When i had my window cleaning round,if i saw closed curtains that weren't normally closed i'd ask the neighbours if they'd seen the occupier lately. Some thanked me for my concern,but some said i was being nosey,even some suggesting i was 'casing the joint' for a burglary ffs!

PaulB

Legendary Member
cripes.
a sad tale indeed.
But I notice you said:
>>Her job at the time meant they got a very cheap mortgage (building society worker) and having kids would disrupt their lifestyle and they would have to sell their holiday home in France. By the time those things were in the past, it was too late to have kids.

ie: THEY

So I'd repeat my take that you can never really know what went on.

I've known women blame a partner for lack of kids when they were perhaps somewhat party to the idea of letting the issue lie.

Similarly, beware of women too keen to have kids - with whoever.
Well they both regretted not having kids, very much. He bemoaned the fact he had no kids to look after him and she was denied what she was born to be. She always wanted them though. Very much wanted them but had been held back from leaving him for fear he'd carry out his promise to stick his head in the oven if she went. He had looked after her when she had some serious medical problems though, so she did feel grateful for that.

Well they both regretted not having kids, very much. He bemoaned the fact he had no kids to look after him and she was denied what she was born to be. She always wanted them though. Very much wanted them but had been held back from leaving him for fear he'd carry out his promise to stick his head in the oven if she went. He had looked after her when she had some serious medical problems though, so she did feel grateful for that.

Of all the many things I value my kids for, that's one that I've never really considered as their role. I choose to take care of my parents if they need it, because they've looked after me, but they genuinely would hate it if I did it as an obligation, rather than because I choose to.

Of all the many things I value my kids for, that's one that I've never really considered as their role. I choose to take care of my parents if they need it, because they've looked after me, but they genuinely would hate it if I did it as an obligation, rather than because I choose to.
Same here,

I often tell my kids that once they actually leave home I won't expect them to be calling in all the time out of a sense duty but hope they'll visit because they WANT to see me, time will tell though.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I loved living on my own and am looking forward to doing it again, I'm not looking forward to the bills but as I intend to buy rather than rent that saves a good chunk of £.

I would also be considering property in need of a little work, if it came with a garage or access to a shed/space to build one.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Same here,

I often tell my kids that once they actually leave home I won't expect them to be calling in all the time out of a sense duty but hope they'll visit because they WANT to see me, time will tell though.
But like the poster above you, most of us have kids and think the same as you. As he didn't have any, he doesn't really understand their purpose despite being from a big family himself. I think we get an inkling as to why she wanted to get away after 40 odd years together.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I also have a fear of dying alone in my flat. If i did who'd find me and when? People say "We''l look out for you",but they just say that to make you feel better. I've had friends say "If i don't hear from you after a few days i'll knock on your door and if i don't get a response i'll phone the police". I've tested them out. I've gone 2 weeks without contacting them and yet they don't knock on my door or phone me and they definitely didn't call the police even if they did knock and didn't get a response.
Don't worry about dying alone - if you are dead then you won't know how long it was before someone found your body, and you won't be particularly bothered by any delay either!

Worry about nearly-dying... When I flaked out in 2012 I came round close to death. I could hear children playing in the street outside but I couldn't make a sound. I lapsed in and out of consciousness for over 3 hours before I could crawl to a phone and summon help. That really was not a pleasant experience.

This is one of the reasons why i will not have the Covid vaccine. I have a fear of it causing a blood clot while i'm asleep or just sat there in my chair.
DOES-NOT-COMPUTE... :wacko:

You do realise that the risk of getting serious blood clotting complications from Covid-19 is many times the risk of getting them from the vaccine, right? :whistle:

Speaking as someone who has been horribly f*cked by blood clots twice, my first reaction when I heard the silly scare stories was... WHY THE HELL IS IT TAKING SO LONG TO GIVE ME MY DAMN VACCINE!!!! (I have since had one jab and eagerly await my second.)

As for living alone... I realised years ago that I have pretty much lived alone all my life, and that effectively includes when I was a child. My sisters shared a room, but I always had my own and spent many hours in there alone. My dad was away working a lot of the time and my mum was busy keeping the household running. I didn't speak to my sisters much. I was pretty much alone in a house with other people wandering about... I got used to it.

And here I am 60-plus years on, still spending most of my life alone. I finally left the parental home at 28 and in the 37 years since I have only spent 6 months living in the same household as someone else, and that involved kipping in a sleeping bag on their floor every night.

75% of my conversations are inside my own head, 20% are out aloud but still with myself. The other 5% are with the poor people that I bombard when I finally DO have some company! People with a busy social life don't tend to make 40,000+ posts on a cycling forum...

Anybody who has been on a forum ride with me will probably have noticed that I rarely shut up. One person pointed out that, sorry, but he would prefer not to chat when going down a twisty-turny descent at 70 km/hr! The thing is, I might not have said a word to another person for a week or two before such a bike ride so I would just be unloading my bottled-up thoughts onto them.

It may be that I finally do hitch up with someone but it is unlikely since I gave up looking over 15 years ago. The chances of me finding someone who I could put up with are slim, and even if I managed that, would they actually be prepared to put up with me!

A friend has my spare key and I asked her what she would do if she thought something was wrong. She said she would try phoning for a day or two and eventually come over to check up on me if I didn't answer. I told her that it would be better to dial 999 or she might be faced with my decomposing body. She said that she wouldn't leave it too long, so my remains would probably still be relatively fresh. I'm not sure about that - sometimes we go a week between phone calls. Add a few days to that in a hot summer and things could get a bit whiffy!

I will probably die alone. I just hope that it is quick so I don't have to go through a nightmare experience like the one that I had in 2012.

Well, that's the cheerful news update for today - time to put the kettle on! :okay:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've never lived entirely on my own, but when single I was on my own for 5 days a week, but I saw my son for 2 days. I don't really mind it, but I would get lonely if it was 24/7. Often when living with other people I liked my own space, but it is nice sometimes knowing someone else is in the house even if you're not feeling that sociable

Top Bottom