Living on your own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Due to my wife being down in Devon at the moment for reasons you all know about, I am on my own and got me thinking about some members on here who live permanently on their own. I am glad I have Molly with me as she is great comfort and company but I do miss my wife.
I suppose, with time, one tends to have a routine and gets used to it but I think this is an instance when pets play a big part in your life. Personally, I can't wait to be re-united with Mrs G in two weeks time and have our nucleus of three back together again. I know my wife is also missing Molly ( as well as me I hope) as she plays an important role in both our lives.
I hope this is not a sensitive issue to talk about but it did got me thinking.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
When I was in a relationship, I couldn't imagine living on my own... then I changed my mind and I've never looked back :okay:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I miss my Ex like a hole in the head …....liar..........OK I missed her so much I cried:cry: but now many years on I have got use to it well you would do after 17 years, before that I was looking after my mum 27/7 for 7 years after a stroke.
Now I'm alone, but never lonely as I don't mind it I can do as I please without asking or telling your partner/wife ect.
The times I don't like it is when you do something good and you have know one to tell what you have achieved which can be frustrating at times, but then I have you lot, and I thank you for that.:whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

I lived on my own from my late teens to my late twenties, I struggled badly and had some very serious issues, I don't want to live on my own again, but if I have to I'm hoping I can cope better than I did then.

Slick

Guru
I've never done it and if I'm honest, I don't think I'd be any good at it for a variety of reasons. There is a couple of guys at work who really struggled through the first lockdown who were desperate to get back to work just for the company. I would take the odd meal down to one in the hope he would stop drinking long enough to eat it. I don't think it worked too well.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
It's funny, but I love the lockdown, I can't understand people that are having mental issue with it, being alone, maybe I'm one of the few that could survive on an island by themselves or go on long sea voyages, I'm very self sufficient and never rely on anybody, divorce taught me that and to never trust a person again, it has made me hard, not on the sense of toughness, for a punch can still hurt me, but in my resilience to survive when the chips are down.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have been on my own now for getting on for 6 years. It is not easy and never gets any better. Having nobody to talk with and discuss things depresses me.
I remember the character Jack Halford ? who talked to his dead wife in the series New Tricks. I do that .
On the practical side I find cooking for one person difficult and food packaging is always too big but the freezer is a big help there.
I often used to cycle tour on my own due to the constraints of business but I knew there was somebody at home to return to. Now I have freedom to do what I want but it is a hollow freedom.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I’ve lived alone for over 20 years other than my brother lodging for about 18 months...I was glad to see the back of him
:laugh:

Much the same here but with a mate lodged for a few months. He's still a good friend but I was happy when we went.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I've never lived on my own. Always either flat/house with others or with a partner. I wonder if women find living alone easier than men though, especially when older, as they often have several close personal friends they can chat on the phone with or go out with. I'm very close to my sister so I know I always have someone, and I have a great group of friends, whereas I get the impression men don't form such close ties with friends or siblings.

After 13 years with my partner, I’ve just gone through a whirlwind separation.
We spent the week prior to Easter together at her summer house, with her daughter and her boyfriend, so we didn’t have as much time together as I’d have liked.
I had the worst winter if my life (as indeed have many others, too) but SAD (winter depression), lockdown, no travel ANYWHERE, not even to the city and only to the local food shop, no close friends or family nearby, and I was a virtual prisoner in our flat - for about 5.5 months.
My misses, to put it mildly, has a big problem with alcohol, so both of us have had our problems. I’ve always been there for her and supported her as best I could - not easy when she drinks ( to get drunk) 3-5 times a week, but when I needed help and support, she was gazing at the bottom of a glass.
After a visit to the doctor for a general health check, I was found to have VERY low Vitamin D levels, which gave me anxiety, stress, insomnia, mood swings and depression - and I just thought it was the SAD and a lack of winter sun, (normally I have 3-5 months in India).
So I come home early to prepare myself for a new season at work, and the day after, I get an sms (after having spent a whole week together) to say that it’s over, she’s moving out, and we’re selling our flat asap.
26 days later, up to 30th April, we’ve both found rented accommodation, and sold our flat: over and out, done and dusted.
We made a tidy sum out of the sale although I’m no capitalist and money isn’t important to me (necessary, but not important). I had a bad first two weeks (trying to make head and tail of it), now I’m just a bit numb and empty and living alone in a large comfortable ’empty’ flat.
It’ll take a while to get used to being single, but I’ll manage. And I’m certainly not interested in getting involved with someone for a long time. Maybe I’d like a companion, as opposed to a partner (same same but different, maybe) but I’ll just get out more on my bike, out on the golf course, and get my head stuck in my books.
So to all my fellow singles here on CC, good luck and be positive.:okay:

Interesting points, and best fo hope that people manage to get through the issues.
I’m one who has been happy to be alone, because I find that different from lonely.
I’m not saying this would work for everyone, but being alone has always released me time, rather than shared (with others) time and space.
I can see lockdown, or aloneness because of a reason you are not expecting or has not been planned for giving some anxiety or worry, but for me, I have always tried to save up activities, learning, hobby or interest, until there is time to immerse myself.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've never lived on my own. Always either flat/house with others or with a partner. I wonder if women find living alone easier than men though, especially when older, as they often have several close personal friends they can chat on the phone with or go out with. I'm very close to my sister so I know I always have someone, and I have a great group of friends, whereas I get the impression men don't form such close ties with friends or siblings.
Indeed plus I have colleagues to engage with for 35 hours of the week.
Boredom tends to be my issue rather than loneliness!

Top Bottom