Living on your own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kryton521

Über Member
I've lived alone pretty much my whole adult life. Odd interludes of shared houses. Had dogs, both sadly gone now. Now it's just me a Pink, [the cat.] sometimes wonder, "what if....." But I don't think I would have been good in a relationship, too many issues and now, well I consider it too late to start.

"I'm alone. But I am not lonely!"

Cathryn

Legendary Member
After 13 years with my partner, I’ve just gone through a whirlwind separation.

Dayvo, I'm sorry - that whole situation is awful. Sending a big covid-compliant hug.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Probably easier if you were a single child. You're more used to your own company and making your own entertainment.
I am one but like having a family.

I totally agree. I'm an only child and love my own company. I lived by myself for a year or two in my twenties and adored it. Even now, happily married and with a child, I love when I have time by myself. I do think though that that's because I know I have my boys to come home to.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I'm thinking about buying a fellow tweedster ventriloquist doll to talk to,on those days when i haven't had any verbal interaction whatsoever! 🧐

View attachment 587132

"So Accy,what have you done today"?

'Absolutely feck all Stanley'! 🧐

" Me too! Do you fancy a gottle of geer"?

'Why not!,i'll get the glasses'.🧐

and it looks so much like you. A mini Accy

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Sometimes wonder, "what if....." But I don't think I would have been good in a relationship, too many issues and now, well I consider it too late to start.

"I'm alone. But I am not lonely!"

Never too late, mate. There's a lid for every pot, as we say in Yorkshire.

tyred

Legendary Member
I live on my own too. I have done since I moved out from my parents years ago.

I've basically always been alone, always struggled to make friends, my teenage years were spent either working on things in the garage, wandering through the fields and little bits of woodland around home or else sitting in my room reading books or listening to music. At school I was the fat, ugly stupid one that everyone laughed at. I'm not an only child but my brother and sister are both quite a bit older than me and my brother was not nice to me growing up. He hasn't spoken to me in at least ten years now and I never hear from my sister unless she wants a favour.

I still don't really have any friends. I am just a misfit in this world.

Relationships just don't happen for me. The last time was about four years ago. I'll be 42 in September and I now just accept I will always be alone. I have nothing to offer anyone and I've been alone now so long I'm not sure how I would cope with being in a relationship anyway as I really love the freedom I have to do exactly what I want when I want. I do think I would have liked to have had children though but it's not to be. As this Covid stuff has gone on, I just feel more and more reclusive and strong desire to just be alone in nature. Most of the time I am perfectly happy and I am lucky in so many ways compared to many other people but I have to admit there are times I feel overwhelmed with loneliness.

Many years ago I was out on a bike ride and I stopped at the top of a hill and was wondering whether or not I ought to head home

and I realised
No-one knows where I am
No-one cares where I am
no-one even knows whether I am at home or not

It gave me an incredible feeling of freedom

a bloke I used to work with thought that concept was horrendous
Maybe it explains why I can live alone
and he can;t

Slick

Guru
Many years ago I was out on a bike ride and I stopped at the top of a hill and was wondering whether or not I ought to head home

and I realised
No-one knows where I am
No-one cares where I am

and he can;t
It probably does as I've never lived alone and also find that concept horrendous. Horses for courses obviously.

I'd say 90 percent of my 'conversations' today have been me talking to myself in my head. 8 percent me shouting at things on the radio (like constant mind numbing adverts) and 2 percent interaction with the checkout staff at Tesco.

Ok,i've had interaction on CC and that helps.

Bank Holidays are crap,especially this one! No shops open (sounds familiar),pissing down all the time and no one out and about to have a natter with!:thumbsdown:

And here i am again,shouting at Dreary O'Leary and his fecking mind numbing national lottery adverts!!:cursing:
Not taking the pee at all but have you no friends?
I ask because although I'm not single the circle of friends I have contain many single lads that see each other on a very regular basis, mainly in the pub as it happens, but if one hasn't been seen or posted some crap on face ache then someone contacts them.

About a Dozen of us live within 10 mins walk of our local and probably half of them are single.

Slick

Guru
I live on my own too. I have done since I moved out from my parents years ago.

I've basically always been alone, always struggled to make friends, my teenage years were spent either working on things in the garage, wandering through the fields and little bits of woodland around home or else sitting in my room reading books or listening to music. At school I was the fat, ugly stupid one that everyone laughed at. I'm not an only child but my brother and sister are both quite a bit older than me and my brother was not nice to me growing up. He hasn't spoken to me in at least ten years now and I never hear from my sister unless she wants a favour.

I still don't really have any friends. I am just a misfit in this world.

Relationships just don't happen for me. The last time was about four years ago. I'll be 42 in September and I now just accept I will always be alone. I have nothing to offer anyone and I've been alone now so long I'm not sure how I would cope with being in a relationship anyway as I really love the freedom I have to do exactly what I want when I want. I do think I would have liked to have had children though but it's not to be. As this Covid stuff has gone on, I just feel more and more reclusive and strong desire to just be alone in nature. Most of the time I am perfectly happy and I am lucky in so many ways compared to many other people but I have to admit there are times I feel overwhelmed with loneliness.
I find this quite sad, especially the last sentence. Don't quite know what to say about it but I think I would find the situation you describe to be very tough.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My little contribution.
Married at 21.....MrsD was 19.
For whatever reason we both wanted a baby and 'bingo' an immediate success.
54 great years.
The last 18 months have been crap healthwise and it really hurts me to see my wife struggling.
Might sounds terrible but.....if we can't go together then I hope I go 2nd as I "think" I could cope better than her.
Hope that has not put a dampener on things.
My fear was that I would go first and she would be left and end up in a care home while ill with Parkinson's.
She sometimes went to one for respite [for me] and referred to it as "That hell hole".

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I was walking to the shops one night a couple of years ago and saw a bit of a commotion outside a house. A group of local residents were standing in the road next to an ambulance and a police vehicle. Paramedics were standing next to the front door of the house and the police officers were banging on the door and calling through the letterbox. When there was no reply the police broke the door down and they went in with the paramedics. A couple of days later I noticed a big skip in the road immediately in front of that property. It was being filled with old furniture and other things from the house. I assumed that someone had died in the house and eventually somebody had realised that something was wrong and called the police.
My door is never locked when I am at home and I am pretty sure that my absence would be noticed pretty quickly by neighbours. They have been told that if my door is locked I am not at home so no need to knock the door down. If I was going to be away without my car I would make a point of telling somebody that I am going away even if my car is still there and in any case the locked door would give a clue.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

and I realised
No-one knows where I am
No-one cares where I am

and he can;t
That's an interesting thought... From time to time people on CycleChat ask for details on how to set up their GPS/phone to broadcast their current position to their partner back at home who is either curious or anxious about them when they are out on the bike. I find that idea really off-putting! I would hate to think that somebody was tracking me the whole time that I was out, or watching the clock to see if I got back by some arbitrary time.

I suppose that I think like a single person and can't imagine no longer being one.

If I had to speak to somebody every day I would find it irritating after a while. I could manage a few weeks of it but after a month or so I would probably be desperate to be by myself again for a while!

Top Bottom