Living on your own.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
That's an interesting thought... From time to time people on CycleChat ask for details on how to set up their GPS/phone to broadcast their current position to their partner back at home who is either curious or anxious about them when they are out on the bike. I find that idea really off-putting! I would hate to think that somebody was tracking me the whole time that I was out, or watching the clock to see if I got back by some arbitrary time.

I suppose that I think like a single person and can't imagine no longer being one.

If I had to speak to somebody every day I would find it irritating after a while. I could manage a few weeks of it but after a month or so I would probably be desperate to be by myself again for a while!
How do you know?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How do you know?
Irritating after a while? I can't say that for sure about live-in partners, but I certainly exceeded my tolerance for many work colleagues in a matter of weeks! :laugh:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I like my own company too. My mum stayed with me after she got divorced but I lost her when I was 38 and have been on my own since. I have several acquaintances, mainly regulars I meet on my walks that I can pass ten minutes chatting to, but no really close friends. I’m inclined to put up barriers on the odd occasion anyone does seem to get even slightly close. It’s only really the likes of Christmas and birthdays I feel slightly lonely, but it soon passes. Can’t see anything changing now.

lane

Veteran
That's an interesting thought... From time to time people on CycleChat ask for details on how to set up their GPS/phone to broadcast their current position to their partner back at home who is either curious or anxious about them when they are out on the bike. I find that idea really off-putting! I would hate to think that somebody was tracking me the whole time that I was out, or watching the clock to see if I got back by some arbitrary time.

I suppose that I think like a single person and can't imagine no longer being one.

If I had to speak to somebody every day I would find it irritating after a while. I could manage a few weeks of it but after a month or so I would probably be desperate to be by myself again for a while!

I once told Mrs Lane it was possible to watch my cycling on a live track. The withering look I got - as in "why the fook would I want to do that" - was quite something.

classic33

Leg End Member
I live on my own too. I have done since I moved out from my parents years ago.

I've basically always been alone, always struggled to make friends, my teenage years were spent either working on things in the garage, wandering through the fields and little bits of woodland around home or else sitting in my room reading books or listening to music. At school I was the fat, ugly stupid one that everyone laughed at. I'm not an only child but my brother and sister are both quite a bit older than me and my brother was not nice to me growing up. He hasn't spoken to me in at least ten years now and I never hear from my sister unless she wants a favour.

I still don't really have any friends. I am just a misfit in this world.

Relationships just don't happen for me. The last time was about four years ago. I'll be 42 in September and I now just accept I will always be alone. I have nothing to offer anyone and I've been alone now so long I'm not sure how I would cope with being in a relationship anyway as I really love the freedom I have to do exactly what I want when I want. I do think I would have liked to have had children though but it's not to be. As this Covid stuff has gone on, I just feel more and more reclusive and strong desire to just be alone in nature. Most of the time I am perfectly happy and I am lucky in so many ways compared to many other people but I have to admit there are times I feel overwhelmed with loneliness.
Don't knock yourself like that, it'll become self fulfilling.
You proving yourself correct.

snorri

Legendary Member
When this Covid business flared up some locals in my village organised a community help scheme. An emergency pack was distributed to all houses containing helpful hints and two plastic squares, one with a green tick to be displayed in a front window if all was well, and another with a red X if assistance was required. I did wonder a bit about the red cross, if I was fit to put this signal in my window then I would have been fit to 'phone a friend or neighbour.
Anyway a few months into Covid and it was noticed that an elderly gent hadn't been seen for a day or two. Checks revealed that he had died suddenly in his house, six months on and there is still a green cross in his window:sad:.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know anyone locally that cycles.
If you think that you might enjoy it, why not suggest a forum ride? There must be some other CC members in Ireland who might be interested!

I started doing them after The Big Bust Up with my girlfriend. Soon after that my local cycling pal decided not to be quite so local any more - he moved to Spain... I got fed up of spending ALL of my time alone so I organised a ride. I think it was back on the old C+ forum before it got shut down and I came over here.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Not taking the pee at all but have you no friends?
I ask because although I'm not single the circle of friends I have contain many single lads that see each other on a very regular basis, mainly in the pub as it happens, but if one hasn't been seen or posted some crap on face ache then someone contacts them.

About a Dozen of us live within 10 mins walk of our local and probably half of them are single.
I don't have the type of friends that come round for a cuppa,go out for a pint with,or send cards to on birthdays etc. I have friends i talk to down the pub,talk to in the park,cadge lifts off to football matches etc. I'm not a 'one of the lads' type. I prefer female company to male company and by that i mean friendship,not physical attraction,though sometimes i do feel it towards some of them.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A couple of days later I noticed a big skip in the road immediately in front of that property. It was being filled with old furniture and other things from the house.
That's what the housing association who own the flat i live in does. About 3 years ago a resident died suddenly. According to the deceased relatives the housing association was hassling them about the deceased's rent being overdue. A day later the H/A sent a wagon round and emptied the flat. Two days later the flat had a new paying the rent,resident.:rolleyes:

I once told Mrs Lane it was possible to watch my cycling on a live track. The withering look I got - as in "why the fook would I want to do that" - was quite something.
sounds healthy to me.
Trust she gets that nice flip of the heart when you pop back through the door at some unpredicted untracked time.

early morning musings after the usual espresso mind-buzz - how many folks suggesting tracking to their cycling partners might be doing it to ensure that they could hustle someone out the back door just before their beclipped partner came through the front.

Top Bottom