Living with someone from another culture

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes, yes and yes.

However, I think the broader point being made (think of it by way of example rather than stereotype) is a good one methinks.

Can you imagine being married to someone with fundamentally different core values?

Be it religion or otherwise, there are areas people have where there is no room for comprise. Sometimes people's views on something run so contrary to your own that no relationship could ever work.
I agree with you @yello and you @HobbesOnTour . There are people with whom I would not attempt any kind of relationship, but accept that could be partly down to my limitations and unwillingness to invest in something that appeared and felt so unlikely to work.

Be it religion or otherwise, there are areas people have where there is no room for comprise. Sometimes people's views on something run so contrary to your own that no relationship could ever work.
Well yes, and those areas don't have to have anything to do with religion or politics.

The only reason I commented was that there is an ever increasing amount of "grouping" people together and decisions made about people based on those groupings.

Audi/BMW drivers in a cycling forum, cyclists in a motoring forum. There was a recent thread on here with people giving out about farmers!

It's not something I like or agree with. People are people. Good, bad and indifferent. And sometimes different from one day to the next.

In the area of personal relationships it seems particularly perverse to reject someone based on a generalisation. If after getting to know someone it's clear that there will be a lot of friction then all bets are off. We all have that right.

In divided countries (or societies) if everyone follows the narrative that the "other" is impossible, that there is no room for compromise where does that leave us?

I agree with you @yello and you @HobbesOnTour . There are people with whom I would not attempt any kind of relationship, but accept that could be partly down to my limitations and unwillingness to invest in something that appeared and felt so unlikely to work.
I'm going to go close to the bone with this one and I mean no offence, and of course, you don't have to answer.

I don't know if you have kids, but imagine that you do and one brings home their future spouse, someone of the type that you could never attempt any kind of relationship with?
How do you react?
How, do you think, your reaction(s) will influence the couple and the dynamics of their relationship?

I'm not trying to be a jackass, I'm just trying to tease out if "any relationship" is based on getting to know someone or just going by labels.

There seems to be a lot of labels applied these days and the danger, I think, is when we don't look past the labels.

And I think this thread has gone way past what you intended at the start!^_^

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Yebbut we all have our lines we wouldn't cross, right ??
Personal principals, ethics, basic decency really.

I mean, for example I couldn't, I just couldn't get it together with a ******.. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
All uphill

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm going to go close to the bone with this one and I mean no offence, and of course, you don't have to answer.

I don't know if you have kids, but imagine that you do and one brings home their future spouse, someone of the type that you could never attempt any kind of relationship with?
How do you react?
How, do you think, your reaction(s) will influence the couple and the dynamics of their relationship?

I'm not trying to be a jackass, I'm just trying to tease out if "any relationship" is based on getting to know someone or just going by labels.

There seems to be a lot of labels applied these days and the danger, I think, is when we don't look past the labels.

And I think this thread has gone way past what you intended at the start!^_^
As always @HobbesOnTour you make really good points in a thoughtful and thought-provoking way. I really value and appreciate that. Absolutely no offence taken.

To partly answer your question, when I have had to get along with people I find challenging I have worked at it and generally got along OK, with a bit of forming and storming, but I wouldn't choose to make my life difficult by teaming up with someone to whom I feel little warmth.

It's fine with me that there has been some drift in this thread - that's what's great about chatting with people from different cultures. Its great to learn new things.

Yes, WAS.
i asked, connected to your post above, as I didn't realise until recently (from another post of yours) that you are originally from rural lancs.
There's bits of that territory with a strong catholic tradition - in some ways admirable, determined folk standing up for their beliefs under past oppression, but also some bad stuff - bloody minded tribalism - in the past (but thankfully no longer I think) caused some serious family strife.
One of the most despicable humans I have ever come across was a catholic priest from a small lancashire village. He was lucky not to get a piece of my mind behind his tatty stage.

PK99

Legendary Member
i asked, connected to your post above, as I didn't realise until recently (from another post of yours) that you are originally from rural lancs.
There's bits of that territory with a strong catholic tradition - in some ways admirable, determined folk standing up for their beliefs under past oppression, but also some bad stuff - bloody minded tribalism - in the past (but thankfully no longer I think) caused some serious family strife.
One of the most despicable humans I have ever come across was a catholic priest from a small lancashire village. He was lucky not to get a piece of my mind behind his tatty stage.

You from that part of the world too?

You from that part of the world too?
yes - part of family CofE (ie not really terribly religious at all) other bit catholic.

yello

In divided countries (or societies) if everyone follows the narrative that the "other" is impossible, that there is no room for compromise where does that leave us?
Living in the real world?

I take the point, and share it. One aims for ideals and there is too much polarizing 'us and them', both on here and out there.

Let us not confuse countries/societies with individuals though. One wants the former to negotiate and to find a way, in the name of peace etc. At the individual level though, someone else's -ist beliefs (for example) are not my responsibility alone. Sure, if I want to take them on because they are otherwise a decent person then fine. That's my choice and my relationship, but nobody should expect such magnanimous actions.

You have you own life to lead, your own shizzle to contend with. You are allowed to draw boundaries and not accept behaviour or beliefs outside of that - be it racism or supporting Leeds United!

I'm not advocating turning a blind eye nor tacitly condoning. If someone's beliefs so concern you then involve others. Or advise them to seek help. The point is that you have the right to not let it be part of your life.

We're oviously talking of a very wide range of issues though, and it's too easy to try and generalise what ought be considered case by case. Yes, I agree, obviously there are people of the religious American right (or whatever the original label was) that are good people, albeit with some questionable beliefs, and you may want to build a relationship with such a person.

Equally, you may choose not to simply because of those very beliefs. I think that's the point being made,and I think it's a fair one. Your relationship, your call.

You're missing my point and after
Living in the real world?
I'm not very inclined to elaborate with too much patience.
There are smilies for a reason.
I asked

My point revolves around how do we know what someone else believes and the strength of that belief unless we engage on some kind of level?

Using your example what or who exactly is a Leeds Utd. supporter?

If I see someone in a Leeds top does that make them one?

Is someone who casts an eye over their results every week and is happy when they do well a fan? And are they in the same bracket as those who attend every home game and sing all the songs?

And relevant to today's world iv someone once attended a Leeds game are they now a fan for life?

How can we tell someone is a Far right Christian unless we engage with them? Maybe people in the real world can smell them at 100 paces?
Can the superior nose determine where on the Far right they reside and where on the Christian scale?
Can you describe their "questionable" beliefs? Or is it a case that "everyone knows they're all crazy?
Then, can you tell me what organised religions don't have questionable beliefs?

Given the fact that the thread is specifically about cross cultural relationships I find it might be helpful to understand that the different cultures might actually mean that two people have very different perspectives of the exact same thing.

Main meal of the day? Early afternoon or evening?

In the world of football wearing a Leeds Utd shirt is a statement that everyone in that world understands.
In the rest of the world it may just be a nice colour. Or it was cheap. It may not even be recognised as a football top.

There's a difference between knowing and assuming. I'd think that cross cultural relationships would benefit from a lot more of the former and a lot less of the latter. Knowing involves a bit of effort and learning. Assuming? Anyone can do that.

yello

I'm not very inclined to elaborate with too much patience.

Well that's a shame. I think you've maybe misconstrued me and perhaps there should always be a place for benefit of the doubt, indeed trying to engage if you want to further a relationship. ;) I felt I understood with what you were saying and indeed agreed with it, at the broad intentions level.

So maybe we're at cross purposes.

Yes, we can only tell what someone is like by engaging with them. I wouldn't suggest otherwise, one oughtn't apply labels from 100 paces. Well, one can but that's potentially to one's own detriment. My point is (and only ever was) that at some point on that road of engagement, you are totally allowed to say 'you know what, actually I don't want to go any further' Once you have decided a reason to not go further, you have effectively applied a label - 'I decided not to see X anymore because they were Y'

Maybe whoever originally posed the question of a relationship with someone of the 'American far right' (or whatever it was) WAS applying labels from 100 paces. I can't say but it's entirely possible. I chose not to interpret it like that as I wanted to acknowledge that individuals have the right to have boundaries on the kind of relationship they want to have with someone. For example, someone might not want to have anything to do with someone that they have found to be (i.e. 'labelled') a misogynist - and that's ok surely? Tbh, I thought I was in danger of stating the obvious. :smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Well that's a shame. I think you've maybe misconstrued me and perhaps there should always be a place for benefit of the doubt, indeed trying to engage if you want to further a relationship. ;) I felt I understood with what you were saying and indeed agreed with it, at the broad intentions level.

So maybe we're at cross purposes.

Yes, we can only tell what someone is like by engaging with them. I wouldn't suggest otherwise, one oughtn't apply labels from 100 paces. Well, one can but that's potentially to one's own detriment. My point is (and only ever was) that at some point on that road of engagement, you are totally allowed to say 'you know what, actually I don't want to go any further' Once you have decided a reason to not go further, you have effectively applied a label - 'I decided not to see X anymore because they were Y'

Maybe whoever originally posed the question of a relationship with someone of the 'American far right' (or whatever it was) WAS applying labels from 100 paces. I can't say but it's entirely possible. I chose not to interpret it like that as I wanted to acknowledge that individuals have the right to have boundaries on the kind of relationship they want to have with someone. For example, someone might not want to have anything to do with someone that they have found to be (i.e. 'labelled') a misogynist - and that's ok surely? Tbh, I thought I was in danger of stating the obvious. :smile:

And anyway, I thought the thread was about 'having a relationship with'
ie having a longer term intimate relationship with..

Such as being married to.

Not whether you wholly accept the fact, tolerate, and even embrace the fact that other humans have different ways of being , belief systems , and backgrounds, in everyday life, and get along with them ok

Of course we can, and should do the second, unless they're actually doing others harm.

(Fwiw far right Americans do do others harm in my view)

But that's not the same as being expected to somehow overlook fundamentals, or compromise on principals to maintain a long term relationship.

Fwiw I am have seen people lose their own selves, and principals to try to mould themselves into what they believe their prospective partner thinks they should be.

Or else what they have been 'instructed' to do so by an overbearing partner.

Those are controlling, or coercive relationships.

Self respect, autonomy ,and maintaining healthy boundaries are still important inside relationships, if long term mutual respect is to be maintained.

Tbh I think the cross cultural thing in terms of country, religion, social class , etc is far less important in any relationship, than personality , tolerance, and respect for others.

One of the previous posters asked how would we feel if one of our children got together with someone from a different 'culture'.

Would we make an effort.??

Well I think most of us as parents would, unless we're complete idiot's, we might embrace the difference even.

In my own case I'd be all agog for stories of growing up in a different places , and cultures, and yes please thanks very much to some new recipes..

But if that same person started spouting a bunch of bigotry, which overstepped my boundaries then I would challenge it, as not to do so would compromise my principals.

But ultimately it would be up to my kids..
It's their life - not mine.

As it is I've been really lucky, so far, my kids partners have always been really bright, interesting, switched on people, who have been a delight to be around.

The hardest part is if that relationship ends.:sad:

Although I've maintained good friendships with some of them beyond the original one :smile:

yello

But that's not the same as being expected to somehow overlook fundamentals, or compromise on principals to maintain a long term relationship.
But if that same person started spouting a bunch of bigotry, which overstepped my boundaries then I would challenge it, as not to do so would compromise my principals.

Yes, that's pretty much where I was coming from with my contribution to the discussion.

As a semi-aside; I watched the final episode of 'Maid' last night. It's a TV program I liked very much not least because it does involve the whole issue of what one decides to call something (in this case, domestic abuse) and what to, and not to, accept for your own well being, your own wants for the future. These are very much personal calls, particularly when at the coal face. I thought it also very good in showing that you have your own path and you can't right the (what you might see as the) wrongs of everyone, not even those genuinely in need of help, people you may even notionally 'care' for. You have to let go, let people (maybe even loved ones) find their own way. These are hard choices that require a level of honesty (not to mention bravery!)... an awareness of your own boundaries, what you/will not accept and/or do.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, that's pretty much where I was coming from with my contribution to the discussion.

As a semi-aside; I watched the final episode of 'Maid' last night. It's a TV program I liked very much not least because it does involve the whole issue of what one decides to call something (in this case, domestic abuse) and what to, and not to, accept for your own well being, your own wants for the future. These are very much personal calls, particularly when at the coal face. I thought it also very good in showing that you have your own path and you can't right the (what you might see as the) wrongs of everyone, not even those genuinely in need of help, people you may even notionally 'care' for. You have to let go, let people (maybe even loved ones) find their own way. These are hard choices that require a level of honesty (not to mention bravery!)... an awareness of your own boundaries, what you/will not accept and/or do.

Imo there's wayyy too much of this 'two halves making a whole' stuff out there about relationships.

As if we're not 'complete' without a partner.
A lot of damaged people buy into that and end up in very unhealthy, even abusive or co dependent relationships.

Compromising themselves too far, in order to supposedly get 'loved' 'validated' or even protected..

Whole person with whole person, in a mutually respectful, and supportive relationship is the aim surely.??

Oh..

And I haven't got a telly ^_^

Top Bottom